Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepared to buy a 2000 Tundra with 270,000. Everything checked out really well on first inspection and the engine just purred and was super smooth during test drive. The truck is in excellent shape. I am going to do a 2nd more thorough inspection tomorrow. Is there anything specifically I should look out for when inspecting a first gen Limited Tundra? He's asking $5,000 firm and as far as I can see that's pretty standard. The mileage seems high but the 4.7 L V8 go a long time. I will not be using it for any heavy duty work or towing = mostly light duty hauling and family camping trips.

For guys out there who own this truck, should I buy it??? Let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. Frame rust. Particularly on the cross members.
2. Leaking axle seals. You'll see oil leaks behind the wheel at the bearings. This is a bitch to replace.
3. Valve cover gaskets leaking.
4. Timing belt on the 2UZ. When was it changed?
5. Shocks and streering rack mount bushings. How old are they? If original they will have to be replaced and should be considered in your purchase price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, this is good to know. Thank you. I will look into these tomorrow. The suspension components have all been replaced, but how do I check for a leaking valve cover gasket? Also, What do you mean by 2UZ (2000?).

·
Registered
7 Posts
2UZ-FE is the V8 engine model.

Google 2UZ valve cover gasket leak to see some pictures. But you'll see liquid oil dripping from the side of the valve cover.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Everything spacebanjo said. Sometimes though the axle seals will be bad and you cannot see it on the outside anywhere. When mine had that issue it was the rear brakes sticking from the gear oil, but absolutely no sign on the backing plates or drums. If you’re good with working on vehicles and can bleed brakes it’s not a bad job. The worst part is the fact that you have to crack the brake lines.

Definitely figure out when the timing belt was done, and then find out if they were smart and did the water pump at the same time. If the timing belt was done at proper intervals, it either just got replaced or is due now at 270,xxx. Others can confirm but if memory serves me it’s every 90,000 miles. I did mine the second time at 182,xxx, it was done before I owned the truck at 92,xxx.

If there’s no timing belt record, the first place the truck goes is either to your garage or a shop to replace the belt. Don’t take that chance.

That’s a stout engine though. Most dependable vehicle I’ve ever owned. Only one that’s never left me or my wife on the side of the road. If it’s well taken care of I would think you should get at least to 400,000 with that drivetrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna find some detailed photos online of the underside so I know what those specific leaks look like.

In the ad and at the first inspection he said he did the following: new radiator, timing belt, and water pump replaced within last 40,000 miles. New spark plugs, tires, brakes and brake line flush, new shocks, kingpin arms and ball joints, new U-joints and new headlight assembly.

Underneath I could see the new suspension components but the brakes were hard to inspect on these trucks.

The carfax came back good and he's owned it for 11 years and seemed to really care about it (he's a contractor who just bought a bigger truck) so I trust him enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good advice here for you to check out. I inherited a 2001SR5 Extra Cab V8 from my Dad a few years ago with @80K miles and have had ZERO problems with it. He bought it new and had it dealer-maintained while he had it. My brother had it up in Michigan for a few years so it does have some rust issues underneath. I recently had the timing belt/water pump and brakes replaced at 99K and hope to get many more trouble-free miles out of it.

It is going on 20 years old and will qualify for an antique license plate next year when I renew here in Florida. The truck still runs like new!

I say go for it!

Reactions: LGL002

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am prepared to buy a 2000 Tundra with 270,000. Everything checked out really well on first inspection and the engine just purred and was super smooth during test drive. The truck is in excellent shape. I am going to do a 2nd more thorough inspection tomorrow. Is there anything specifically I should look out for when inspecting a first gen Limited Tundra? He's asking $5,000 firm and as far as I can see that's pretty standard. The mileage seems high but the 4.7 L V8 go a long time. I will not be using it for any heavy duty work or towing = mostly light duty hauling and family camping trips.

I own one and would not buy again. Especially when you could get a 2004 without the problems. Why?
1. Front disc brakes are too small and begin to shudder and wear out quickly. They are inadequate for heavy loads, even normal loads. This is a well known issue with a TSB on the fix. $2,000 to $3,000. The star adjuster on the rear brakes needs to be upgraded, also has a TSB. I did the upgrade (under $100 DIY) and it made a big difference.
2. The overdrive gear train is weak. This is a well discussed topic on the forum. My OD gear began to make noise at under 100,000 miles. The trans fluid showed metal, so I only use the truck with overdrive off now.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Most of Tundra from upper state where there some snow ,the frame usually rusted just be careful , better bring to toyota for them to check

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're right at the mileage that the starter and alternator go...

I'm not really a truck guy, and I love my 2000 Tundra TRD. There were some issues as it was a first year truck before Toyota got the kinks worked out, but nothing huge. The brake upgrade doesn't have to cost $3000... You can order the parts from any parts store and do it yourself as easily as doing a normal brake job.

Parts are easy to get, the engine and trans will last forever, and a little bit of exhaust work really wakes the engine up. When mine dies, I'd happily buy another.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Check out the power steering rack n pinion, ball joints, when was the last time the timing belt was replaced. Other than that it’s a great truck, I bought mine August of 1999, it has 222000 miles everything works. 👍

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Have a 03' here with 360K on it and it's still going strong. Bought the truck with 29K miles on it. I use mobile 1 with10K miles between oil changes. I also flush the transmission completely with 12 quarts, (about what it takes) every 30-40K miles on it, and very easy to do yourself. You can upgrade the brake calipers very easily also if you choose. "Power Stop" has the newer version calipers available and proce not too bad for what you get. Good trucks for sure.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 limited double cab 4.7l
11 Posts
I registered my new/used Tundra here and got some useful information on service performed at the dealership level.

I had better luck with the my carfax app it gave me a lot of maint history the link you gave me had more with more details from dealer servicing only...

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
I registered my new/used Tundra here and got some useful information on service performed at the dealership level.

I had better luck with the my carfax app it gave me a lot of maint history the link you gave me had more with more details from dealer servicing only...

Right On ! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have a 03' here with 360K on it and it's still going strong. Bought the truck with 29K miles on it. I use mobile 1 with10K miles between oil changes. I also flush the transmission completely with 12 quarts, (about what it takes) every 30-40K miles on it, and very easy to do yourself. You can upgrade the brake calipers very easily also if you choose. "Power Stop" has the newer version calipers available and proce not too bad for what you get. Good trucks for sure.
I have the same truck. Any suggestions for getting rid of window and dash squeaks and rattles?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts