Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tailgate wouldn't open this weekend. Took off the access panel and found the plastic clip that keeps the rod in the passenger side latch is broken. Called Toyota this morning and they told me the clip isn't available separate from the handle which is $107.!.!

Anyone have a source for the clips or have a DIY fix to keep the rod in the latch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: BROKEN - Tailgate latch rod clip

And, fixed.

Napa sells a clip that will fit. States "for GM and Chrysler" comes in 3 sizes, I got the small white one, fits perfect.

Thanks for nothing on that one Toyota.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

I had the same problem. The white Napa part is 735-2786 ($3.99); they also had the right hand side 735-2783 ($2.29) which is black. The part is slightly bigger than the original. The male end fits in easily into the latch but the clip’s lip I had to force around the rod.

Put the clip in the latch hole first, then put the rod into the clip and turn the clip until you can wrap the clip’s lip around the rod. Attached some pictures. Notice the original purple clip is missing half of the male end.

photo1.jpg photo2.jpg photo3.jpg photo4.jpg photo5.jpg photo6.jpg photo7.jpg photo8.jpg photo9.jpg

·
Registered
3,288 Posts

Holy s$%t Less, nice work. You didn't start a new thread, you found an old one and just added to it, plus threw in updated part numbers, and pics with dimensions plus a before and after how to. And you're a new guy. You, my friend, are a goddam genius. Now pm a mod and get him to add this to the DIY section so it's there forever.
Points sent.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I can't thank you guys enough for saving me the time to chase down these parts. My clips broke when everything was frozen one morning and I attempted to open the gate. NAPA had the parts and the fix is done. Thanks a million

·
Registered
3,288 Posts

Anytime someone comes up with a good idea like this, especially with pics or part numbers, pm a moderator and ask them to put it in the appropriate forum DIY section. I sent a pm with a link to this thread to Tundradrenalin and he got back to me in about an hour. Done. No one ever needs to hunt around for this thread in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2006 Tundra and am wondering what size Torx wrench is needed to take the panel off the inside of the tailgate to replace the plastic clips. I have same problem mentioned of the tailgate not opening.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

I have a 2006 Tundra and am wondering what size Torx wrench is needed to take the panel off the inside of the tailgate to replace the plastic clips. I have same problem mentioned of the tailgate not opening.
I just put on a new panel yesterday. It's a "star" ratchet. I have a bunch of them. I got them from Harbor Freight, and I just used the one that fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
have same issue and just found this. Am on my way to NAPA at lunch! Assume the clips work for either side? Mine is broken on dxrivers side latch, both ends

·
Registered
93 Posts
clips.JPG

I had the same problem with my 2006 Tundra last weekend. The dealer told me the orange clip was part of the rod assembly (which also included the latch). Was gonna cost me $70. Found a pair of clips for 2007-2011 Tundra's on ebay. Wasnt certain they'd work on the 06...but I took a $5.00 gamble and it worked out!

·
5,061 Posts
View attachment 66418

I had the same problem with my 2006 Tundra last weekend. The dealer told me the orange clip was part of the rod assembly (which also included the latch). Was gonna cost me $70. Found a pair of clips for 2007-2011 Tundra's on ebay. Wasnt certain they'd work on the 06...but I took a $5.00 gamble and it worked out!
like these, for 420? Toyota - SNAP, DOOR LOCK CONTROL Part Number: 69759-0C040 and Toyota - SNAP, DOOR LOCK CONTROL Part Number: 69759-0C050

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you, thank you for the tip on fixing my tailgate. This is the fourth time is has broken. Damn cheap plastic. You'd think something that necessary would be metal throughout the assembly.

Off to the NAPA store..........

Chuck

·
Registered
1 Posts

I can't thank you guys enough for saving me the time to chase down these parts. My clips broke when everything was frozen one morning and I attempted to open the gate. NAPA had the parts and the fix is done. Thanks a million
Same here. Mine snapped earlier today. 15+ inches of snow the last 2 days, and cold out. Gonna swing by napa tomorrow

·
Registered
99 Posts
Old thread. But good information for when this breaks this winter. Might just go buy spare parts and put in a storage bag to tape inside the assembly for use someday when it breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts