Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks, mine failed yesterday, found some YouTube video yesterday on how to get the tailgate open.
AutoZone, PepBoys and O'Riley's were no help with the broken plastic piece.

Thanks to this thread I now have NAPA Part Numbers... luckily in a city of over 2M people, there are 3 NAPA dealers in town.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glad I stumbled across this. Pulled the latch panel off, and my clip was broken too. Couldn’t find the part so I’ve been opening the tailgate by reaching in the hole .
It’s a work truck, I hate that parts are getting higher and higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a broken tailgate rod clip (driver side) on my 2000 Tundra and found a replacement part at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $3.50.

The O'Reilly Part is
Dorman HELP! Door Lock Rod Clips
Part Number: 75455

Note: The O'Reilly website claims that the part above will not fit a 2000 Toyota Tundra, but the part was a perfect replacement for mine... No tweaking necessary.

TIP! - While you're in there replacing the rod clip, you should spray the latches with WD-40 White Lithium Grease. Doing so made my tailgate much easier to open.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to O'Reilly to purchase the part 75455 for $3.50 and the salesman suggested I get part 75450 instead for $4.49. I Purchased OReilly part 75450 and it included 4 of the clips instead of one. I used one of the clips from the box of 75450 successfully to repair my tailgate, but thought others might want to know about this option in order to get 4 of these clips for one dollar more just in case. I haven't tested or used the other 3 clips (I used the black one successfully on the left side) but the other three looked like they would work. I tossed the other three in my glovebox to have as spares.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: BROKEN - Tailgate latch rod clip

I had the same problem. The white Napa part is 735-2786 ($3.99); they also had the right hand side 735-2783 ($2.29) which is black. The part is slightly bigger than the original. The male end fits in easily into the latch but the clip’s lip I had to force around the rod.

Put the clip in the latch hole first, then put the rod into the clip and turn the clip until you can wrap the clip’s lip around the rod. Attached some pictures. Notice the original purple clip is missing half of the male end.

View attachment 55993 View attachment 55992 View attachment 56000 View attachment 55994 View attachment 55999 View attachment 55995 View attachment 55998 View attachment 55996 View attachment 55997
NICE! Thank you fixed my tailgate!!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts