Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rattle has been driving me crazy for a while and I finally found the culprit and fixed it. The non-replaceable nylon bushing in the tailgate hinge has worn enough to render an aggravating rattle over bumps both on and off road. With the tailgate in the upright latched position, I grabbed the bottom of the tailgate and had about a 1/4" play up and down. I was trying to find something tough yet thin enough to take up the space. I saw my wife cutting vegetables on a paper thin cutting sheet and I thought to myself "that would be perfect". If it's tough enough to cut on, it'll be tough enough to use for this project. So when she went out for the evening, I grabbed one of the sheets and cut a 4" long X 1/2" wide piece, took the tailgate off, and rolled that piece into the female part of the hinge that is bolted to the truck. I sprayed some lube into the hinge and reinstalled the tailgate. The movement was gone and so was the noise.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Good job! I'm glad you found the culprit, so it wasn't your lower ball joints or anything else. That's cool.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Male ingenuity at work. :tu:

Tired to reward you with DYI pts but tapped out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good job! I'm glad you found the culprit, so it wasn't your lower ball joints or anything else. That's cool.
Surely this isn't related to the rattle/clunk we are talking about over on the suspension forum...(related to C/O's)???? Cleanb13, can you clear that up?

Good job, I'll have to look into that as I hear a rattle from my rear end on bumps too, stupid noises!!!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surely this isn't related to the rattle/clunk we are talking about over on the suspension forum...(related to C/O's)???? Cleanb13, can you clear that up?

Good job, I'll have to look into that as I hear a rattle from my rear end on bumps too, stupid noises!!!!:mad:
This noise was from the rear. The front noise is something completely different and felt in the floor. Grab your tailgate and see if there is up and down movement. If there is you know what you have to do.

·
Registered
429 Posts
10-4. Tundrunk, not sure if you were referring to what I mentioned above, but I had to address it since I have become obsessed with the issue.

Again, good fix on the tailgate Cleanb13. I grabbed mine and shook it around tonight....no movement. I think mine is in the plastic bedliner. Gotta get that Line-X. Its a symptom of MAD disease

·
Registered
176 Posts
Snap any pics of this?

This rattle has been driving me crazy for a while and I finally found the culprit and fixed it. The non-replaceable nylon bushing in the tailgate hinge has worn enough to render an aggravating rattle over bumps both on and off road. With the tailgate in the upright latched position, I grabbed the bottom of the tailgate and had about a 1/4" play up and down. I was trying to find something tough yet thin enough to take up the space. I saw my wife cutting vegetables on a paper thin cutting sheet and I thought to myself "that would be perfect". If it's tough enough to cut on, it'll be tough enough to use for this project. So when she went out for the evening, I grabbed one of the sheets and cut a 4" long X 1/2" wide piece, took the tailgate off, and rolled that piece into the female part of the hinge that is bolted to the truck. I sprayed some lube into the hinge and reinstalled the tailgate. The movement was gone and so was the noise.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
So what's a "paper thin cutting sheet"? This may have more applications down the road? Where can I get a couple of these? Nice work.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had a small tailgate rattle. Just for the hell of it, I took each of the strikers off, rotated them 180 degrees and reinstalled them. That was a couple of years ago and the rattle rever returned. Total repair time: less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this fix! I purchased a 2012 dc about a month ago and had the rattle in the tail gate from day one. I have been to the dealership to complain about it and they found nothing wrong with it. While I was there I checked other brand new tundras and they also had play in tailgate. Having lifted the truck 6" and 35" offroad tires made the rattle alot worst. I was thinking of purchasing a tiregate for $850 just to get rid of the rattle. But I tried your fix last night and installed cutting sheets on both sides and instantly noticed the tailgate had no more play. Took it for a ride down some bumpy streets and over some horrible tracks and didn't hear a thing. Your fix is awesome and I greatly appreciate it . Thank you!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Out of curiosity, has your wife noticed that her cutting sheet is a couple of inches smaller. :). Great job at improvising.

·
Registered
447 Posts
:third:

·
7,925 Posts
Out of curiosity, has your wife noticed that her cutting sheet is a couple of inches smaller. :). Great job at improvising.
My thoughts exactly

I grabbed one of the sheets and cut a 4" long X 1/2" wide piece, took the tailgate off, and rolled that piece into the female part of the hinge that is bolted to the truck.
Officer Smith: "And it was at this point that your wife beat you with the rolling pin?"

Mr. Clean: "No, no, then I took the tailgate off and"

Officer Smith: "She beat you with the tailgate!?"

Mr. Clean: "No NO - you're not listening!! I rolled that piece into the female part . . "

Officer Smith: "51 be advised we have a suspect in custody who has admitted to assault with kitchen cutlery"

Mr. Clean: (Interrupts) "No no NO!! It was a cutting board NOT cutlery!!! and besides I ..."

Officer Smith: "I am going to read you your Miranda Rights and I advise you to just stop talking right now"

Mr. Clean: "But I fixed my tailgate!!"

Officer Smith: "Not where you're going buddy."

The movement was gone and so was the noise.
- as are your house privileges.

Dude I admire your ingenuity but you are so totally phoqued when she figures this out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts