Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Marine Veteran
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the truck for three years now and it finally got to me. That extra money I spent on adding a freaking bedliner should have gone towards line-x or something much better.

I was washing the truck and I just happened to lift the bed liner up a bit when to my disgust I saw nothing but dirt, rocks, and who knows what else under there. Needless to say I took it off tonight and will be going to get a rough guestimate on how much a spray in will be tomorrow after I take a short stop by the local car wash.

I guess I am just venting so forgive me if this dead horse was hit with the paddles for a sec.

Anyone local want this liner before I take it to the dump???

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I use my drop-in liner for holding firewood in my backyard. Keeps the logs out of the mud and from sitting in water (I drilled about 50 1/4" holes in the bottom of it to let water drain).

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Ever think of a do it yourself, like the Hurculiner. I have installed this in my last two trucks and in only takes a weekend. For about $100 you can have a sprayin.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ever think of a do it yourself, like the Hurculiner. I have installed this in my last two trucks and in only takes a weekend. For about $100 you can have a sprayin.
Herculiner is **** compared to a liner. It's like a second coat of paint... and that may be all you need.

-rockstate

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i like my drop in personally. it came with the truck haha. didnt cost me a dime. (they forgot to add it back in at the end of the negotiations..so they just said forget it). anyway, for the first year or so it was uncovered out in the open. then its been under a tonneau cover. when the truck was apart getting painted there was only slight scuffing of the paint..nothing worth worrying about under mine. since then i have used it for some dirt and mulch and that type of stuff hauling but i doubt anything is between the things to make any difference to me. besides, whatever is out of sight is out of mind. it aint gonna hurt nothing in there, not like im in a rust belt or anything. it'll dry out and be fine. i'll save my money. if a spray in could look nice and stay looknig nice for 100 bucks i'd do it but its not worth more than that to me...just a waste of money to cover up anyway. and all i have seen on other trucks they look like crap in a few years.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Do it yourself liners are junk. They look terrible unless you have the equipment to spray them on. Get a Linex-X or Rhino, the warranty alone makes it worth it.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You got dirt under your liner. so what? Is it all rusted away? is the paint all gone? No. Go spend the money if you wish but if it has help up this long, you don't need some expensive spray in. I too got the factory drop in as part of the deal. At first wished I hadn't so I could justify getting a spray. well I am glad I did not waste my money.
I'd gladly take your old factory liner if you were not so far away just in case I wore mine out but the way it looks, I'll will have it for the next decade or so

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
You got dirt under your liner. so what? Is it all rusted away? is the paint all gone? No. Go spend the money if you wish but if it has help up this long, you don't need some expensive spray in. I too got the factory drop in as part of the deal. At first wished I hadn't so I could justify getting a spray. well I am glad I did not waste my money.
I'd gladly take your old factory liner if you were not so far away just in case I wore mine out but the way it looks, I'll will have it for the next decade or so
my thoughts exactly. and truthfully the plastic liner holds up better. if you drop something hard enough on the spray in its still going to dent. its just a coating on the metal. a plastic liner will not dent and even if you drop somethign hard enough to dent the metal cover the plastic liner wont follow that dent and will still look the same. i still vote for keep the plastic liner and spend the money on something more usefull or fun.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. I have had Rhino in my last 2 trucks and would never own another one without it.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I use my drop-in liner for holding firewood in my backyard. Keeps the logs out of the mud and from sitting in water (I drilled about 50 1/4" holes in the bottom of it to let water drain).
WOW !!!!! That's a GREAT idea......

·
Registered
714 Posts
I like the factory drop in as well, except all the scratches it makes sliding back and fourth... Maybe you should get a spray in liner + keep your drop in liner for extra protection. Not sure if that works out haha.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
My old truck had a drop in liner, I had it about 10 years when I had to remove the bed to replace the gas tank. When I pulled the liner the paint was scuffed but no rust. I bought the truck in FL and had lived in NC and TX, looks like they sprayed some kind of rustproofing in the bed under the liner. I figured that if it rusted, I could always get a spray in, as long as the rust wasn't moch more than surface rust.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I've had my factory drop in for 3 years now and no problems with rust. Just very slight scuffing in a few spots. The key is you have to take it out once in a while and wash the bed. I take mine out every year and wash the bed, then the truck goes to get oil sprayed (Krown) and I have them spray the bed too. I then drop the liner back in and I'm good to go. You can also just rub some oil on the bed when the liner is out and it will protect against rust (my brother in-law did this with his Ranger for years with no rust problems).

I may pop it out this weekend and if I do, I'll take pics of what it looks like. The only thing I don't like is that the openings for the tie downs allow dirt/mulch etc. to get in. I may rivet a rubber flap over the openings to solve it.

I have rubber bed mat too that I can put on top of the liner to give me a non-slip surface or leave it out when hauling mulch or dirt where a slippery surface is better.

·
Marine Veteran
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies, I actually took a look at it again this morning and there are a couple rust spots but not too much. I don't do too much hauling or anything and I just think I want to get a spray in. I do like the idea of using the liner for wood storage, I'll have to see if my buddy wants it for that since he has a huge pile in his back yard.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
The holes in the drop in is its only downside. I use a tarp if I put dirt in the bed which helps keep things clean. I have a tilt trailer so that is where most of the dirt, mulch and stones go.
There is a company that makes a maxi pad for under the liner to keep it from abrading the paint. It was awhile ago and I don't remember where I saw it.
For those that like the advantages of a liner, doing one of those self liner kits with the drop in on top should resolve the issues. You could also put it back in over the linex. It would keep the linex from chipping off

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I did the DIY Herculiner on my '07... it only cost me about $60 and it held up "ok" for what I used it for, which was a few loads of rocks, and 3-4 times/month lumber trips to HD. When I get the extra cash, I'll be getting the color-matched "LineX" sprayed in, since I plan on keeping this truck for a long time. Then, I'll add a carpeted-plywood base to keep stuff from sliding around too much, and keep the bed from getting too dented.

If money is an issue, the Herculiner is fine... you can add layers each year if you want, and it will do the trick.... but it doesn't look/feel/hold-up nearly as well as the LineX will, or the Bedliner.

If I can find a cheap Bedliner in the mean-time, I'll use that until I get the LineX

·
Registered
246 Posts
You guys must not live where it rains. The Toyota drop-in liners are the slickest things I've ever worked with. Climbing in/out of the truck when it's wet, or trying to load things can be dangerous. My motorcycle was downright dangerous when trying to load/unload on a wet liner.

I've had Line-X in (2) trucks now and wouldn't think of owning another with it. It costs a bit, but is well worth it. BTW, the warranty is awesome, you dent/chip/etc it, and they'll fix it for free.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Had drop-ins on two different trucks, owned for 5 years each. Never removed either, never cared about scuffs, scratches or even minor surface corrosion on the bed. When I had to tilt them or remove them partially for something I only ever say minor scuffing. No biggie for me. The last drop-in on my Dakota had a non-stick surface. I could barely even slide anything heavy around in it without shoving real hard. And the tonneau clamps and bed extender bolts helped keep it from sliding.

The bed is pretty much the only part of the truck I don't care that much about so long as there's no holes in it. I once tried to buy some sort of 'paint-saver' pad to slip under the drop-in on my Dakota. Guy at the accesory place said don't waste the money, it'll be fine. Despite all the propaganda you see in spray-on commercials, with modern galvanized steel and rust-proofing you can get minor scuffs or surface corrosion but it'll take longer than anybody's ever gonna own a modern truck for rust to eat holes in the bed.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The Line-X is amazing. No need to remove it, no rust, not even a little. And its tough as he!! And no one will ever steal it. Helps to deaden the sound, add a little weight to the bouncy rear, and it looks killer. Much better than dropin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts