Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key lock in the fuel door froze on my '00 tundra. I've tried soaking in wd-40, and got nowhere. I don't want a seperate key for the fuel door, so I'm looking for a fix that will keep the door from flapping. Was thinking about gluing a magnet inside, but I'd like to hear anybody else's ideas.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My fuel door was missing, so I got an 03 door and I plan on doing the same, using a magnet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You should soak the cylinder in PB blaster. WD 40 will do nothing to a rusted cylinder.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I just looked up PB Blaster...which product would you use?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use the standard spray penetrating oil you'll find at Advance Auto.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My lock broke the winter before I went to Iraq, so when I got back in Jan, I just put 4 small magnets inside the door, works decently for a quick fix

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Blaster, and if it doesn't work, you should be able to remove the c-clip on the back of the fuel door, remove the lock mechanism, and go get another from the dealer if necessary.

Lucky you, I have a lock that works and a fuel door with one busted hinge, so it really does "flap in the wind" and there's no good way to fix it other than buy a new fuel door.

...Good thing I'm not running bedsides anytime soon :D.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about getting a new one from the dealer, but figured they would want an arm and a leg for it. I'll try some better penetrater.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No hole for a cylinder. The 03 model does not lock, it has the flare on the edge to pull the door open.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i have mine, i bought a 2nd, when i added the ss door.
it's a dealer or salvage item.
it was cheap enough.
gorilla

1 - 14 of 14 Posts