Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a set of flares I have painted and plan to install in the next week or so. They mount in the existing screw holes the old trim was held on by. The issue is at the top there is no metal left where the trim screws went through. I figure I need to try to strip down and treat the entire well to keep the mounting holes that are still solid from rusting out, but for the top how have any of you handled mounting flares to cover the rust where there is no metal left for them to screw to? Not a welder fwiw.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Water Tread Automotive tire Atmospheric phenomenon Terrain

·
Registered
617 Posts
Double stick tape... The rust, untreated will continue to spread. Might want to get an extra set of flares to replace the ones you put on to cover the rust when the fall off on the highway. If the "cover-up is just for you that's fine but if to mislead a buyer that is a different story. Chap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the input. I'm going to sand it down, treat it with ospho, and either paint or put spray on bed liner over it. The flares look awesome that we painted to match (holding up to the body), will post pics.

I have more problems to deal with upcoming, the gas door was barely hanging on and today it came off in my sons hand. That's another thread. Tailgate doesn't open, parts orderd. I love this truck, I've had her 20 years and I want to take care of what I have let go and get things where they should be.

Edit: Reading the post it seems like a piece of shit, it's not it's an awesome truck. I'm just taking care of things that have degraded a bit over 20 years....some my fault.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
If you want to keep it never ever spray bed liner on rusty areas. Buy a true rust inhibitor and spray the shit out of the entire vehicle. It wont undo the damage done but it will stop anymore from forming. Plus when you go to work on the vehicle nuts and bolts come off easier then.

Reactions: Chappy R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have a set of flares I have painted and plan to install in the next week or so. They mount in the existing screw holes the old trim was held on by. The issue is at the top there is no metal left where the trim screws went through. I figure I need to try to strip down and treat the entire well to keep the mounting holes that are still solid from rusting out, but for the top how have any of you handled mounting flares to cover the rust where there is no metal left for them to screw to? Not a welder fwiw.

View attachment 160403
View attachment 160402
You might try FLUID FILM is not formulated to remove rust. However, if applied over existing rust, it will stop it immediately from spreading further. FLUID FILM will penetrate rust and rust scale to the base metal, loosening and easing in the removal process."

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
You might try FLUID FILM is not formulated to remove rust. However, if applied over existing rust, it will stop it immediately from spreading further. FLUID FILM will penetrate rust and rust scale to the base metal, loosening and easing in the removal process."
Yup, I'm a proponent of rust inhibitors too but you posted like 6 times in 1 day saying the exact same thing in a bunch of threads. So do you work for fluid film or Lowes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts