Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a set of flares I have painted and plan to install in the next week or so. They mount in the existing screw holes the old trim was held on by. The issue is at the top there is no metal left where the trim screws went through. I figure I need to try to strip down and treat the entire well to keep the mounting holes that are still solid from rusting out, but for the top how have any of you handled mounting flares to cover the rust where there is no metal left for them to screw to? Not a welder fwiw.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Water Tread Automotive tire Atmospheric phenomenon Terrain

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have owned the vehicle since 2003, I have no intention of selling it. I bought ospho to treat the rust. My issue is the top two screw holes do not exist as the rust ate them away.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the input. I'm going to sand it down, treat it with ospho, and either paint or put spray on bed liner over it. The flares look awesome that we painted to match (holding up to the body), will post pics.

I have more problems to deal with upcoming, the gas door was barely hanging on and today it came off in my sons hand. That's another thread. Tailgate doesn't open, parts orderd. I love this truck, I've had her 20 years and I want to take care of what I have let go and get things where they should be.

Edit: Reading the post it seems like a piece of shit, it's not it's an awesome truck. I'm just taking care of things that have degraded a bit over 20 years....some my fault.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts