Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was just driving home in my 2001 Tundra 4.7L Limited with 240k miles when I started having some significant vibration while accelerating. Shortly after that the check engine light flashed a few times and then went off. I drove straight home (about 20 miles) and parked. Internet research says it's misfiring and potentially damaging a catalytic converter and maybe more when I drive. Question is, can I drive it 30 miles on back roads (~40 mph) to my regular mechanic, or is that asking for trouble and should I take it to the guy down the street? (I just moved).

In other news I pulled a pretty heavy trailer today for the first time since the spring. I wonder if the extra strain caused something to happen that had been lurking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Hi all,

I was just driving home in my 2001 Tundra 4.7L Limited with 240k miles when I started having some significant vibration while accelerating. Shortly after that the check engine light flashed a few times and then went off. I drove straight home (about 20 miles) and parked. Internet research says it's misfiring and potentially damaging a catalytic converter and maybe more when I drive. Question is, can I drive it 30 miles on back roads (~40 mph) to my regular mechanic, or is that asking for trouble and should I take it to the guy down the street? (I just moved).

In other news I pulled a pretty heavy trailer today for the first time since the spring. I wonder if the extra strain caused something to happen that had been lurking.

Thanks!
Water in gas tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi Dustin- I just had this very same issue and it ended up being the ignition coils on cylinder 2,3,6. In addition i also replaced all of my spark plugs which resolved the issue instantly. If you have a scanner it'll tell you which cylinders are misfiring which should indicate the amount of coils you'll need. I hope this helps and saves you a ton of money

1 - 3 of 3 Posts