Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cross posting into the Tundra section for some more imput. If any of you have experienced the below listed issue, please chime in:

I'm curious about the flashing orange light in the 4wd indicator located on the instument cluster. When I first got my Sequoia in January, when I pushed the 4wd button, the 4 green wheels would light up and the orange light would flash a few times and then go out. Now when I push the button, the 4 green wheels light up and 4wd works, but the orange button will usually keep flashing for a good minute or more. Once in a while it will flash just a few times and go out. Any ideas on why this would be? I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to send it to the dealer, but I'd be interested in some ideas about any potential causitive factors. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Your truck has 2 4x4 modes. 4HI and 4LO. You can engage the 4HI anytime under 50mph, but in order to shift into 4LO, you must be in 4HI, stop the truck, and put the truck into neutral, and then press 4LO and it will work. Be advised you cannot go more than about 25mph in 4LO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the shifting into 4HI and 4LO. What I'm saying is that when I'm in 4HI to engage the 4 wheel drive system, I keep the lever in 4HI and then push the 4wd button on the console. For me to shift into 4LO, I have to stop, put the SUV into nuetral and then manually shift into 4LO and then push the 4WD button. Then the indicator on the instrument cluster turns green with a little orange light flashing. The manual states that if the orange light continues to flash, there may be a malfunction in the 4wd system. The orange light should flash a few times, but what I'm saying is that the orange light keeps flashing for a minute or more. So I'm assuming that since the orange light is flashing way too long there is an issue. Any ideas on what may be wrong or any typical problems with the Toyota Tundra/Sequoia transfer cases.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how the Sequoia operates its 4wd. The manual does state if it excessively blinks/beeps then something is wrong for sure. Look above your head on the visor and 4wd instructions should be right on it.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
maybe the orange light flashes until the 4wd is engaged? And when it stops flashing, that indicates that it engaged successfully...

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
OK. Don't know anything about the Sequoia but, sometimes my Tundra blinks until I put it in gear(drive).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, here's what the Toyota dealer said. The tech looked at the Sequoia and checked everything. The tech said that the 4WD is functioning perfectly and the electronics of the 4WD system are working fine. He said that in 20 years of doing this, he is sorry but can't tell me exactly why my light keeps flashing.

He noted 2 possibilities:
1. the new tires are 11/32 in the front and 8/32 in the rear. 5K on the tires so due for a rotation.
2. Since it's a CPO the dealer may have changed the diff fluid and put the wrong fluid in. I guess that Toyota uses 2 different fluids.

Here's the question though...is 3/32 difference in tread truly that critical? If so, how can you possibly keep your tires rotated that often? You'd be rotating tires ever 2-3K miles.

I think if the wrong fluid had been used, it wouldn't have taken 5K miles for it to manifest.

Opinions please.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't have them do anything to the differential. They only said that it's possible that the Toyota dealer put in the wrong fluid. They couldn't tell me whether it was the wrong stuff or not. I think that I'm going to rotate the tires first and see what that does. If that doesn't change anything, maybe I'll try the fluid. I just hate spending that kind of money when they can't even tell me that the problem is the fluid and that changing it will fix the problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
One thing to remember and the manual dose not tell you.

When you want to shift from 4Hi to 4Lo PRESS AND HOLD the 4Lo button in do not let go until 4x4 Lo is fully engaged. Hold it in for 5 – 10 seconds

The 4Hi button will stay in when you press it and come out when you press it again (toggle). The 4Lo button will not stay in it will come out when you let go (momentary).

See if that helps let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
One thing to remember and the manual dose not tell you.

When you want to shift from 4Hi to 4Lo PRESS AND HOLD the 4Lo button in do not let go until 4x4 Lo is fully engaged. Hold it in for 5 – 10 seconds

The 4Hi button will stay in when you press it and come out when you press it again (toggle). The 4Lo button will not stay in it will come out when you let go (momentary).

See if that helps let me know.
Where did you get this information? I've never had to hold in the lo button. No hesitation, either. Is this a common problem? Well. Hope it works for him. If I ever have the problem I'll try that.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I dont have to hold the 4Lo button. I just put it in neutral with 4Hi on, and press 4lo, then shift into Drive and it goes in.

The guy basically fed you a bunch of BS. The ECU doesn't know what fluid is in the trans, and it also wouldn't know about the tread difference. You would notice problems when driving in 4LO, not just the light flashing.

Can you even shift into 4LO, or does it not go at all?

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I don't know if the ADD system on the Seq is the same as on the Tundra but I bet it's very similar.

The teeth inside the locking mechanism are chamfered so when they're pressed together the splines very easily engage. I could see how in some situations the mechanism wouldn't immediately engage, like when you hit the button in place and a tire would need to roll forward or backward to engage the spline...in that case the lights flash on the Tundra as well. That's only engaging the 4WD, tho.

If you can get it in 4WD and have verified that all wheels are being driven (find a ditch, short steep hill, snowdrift, mudhole, loose dirt parking lot, etc.), then it's not the ADD unit.

There's a similar setup to engage the torque doubler. Personally I don't know how it works, but if the 4LO light is flashing...ie it's already in 4WD but won't shift to low range...then some part of the mechanism in the transfer case has failed--mechanical failure, not fluid test failure, you should be able to put gopher snot in there and it should work (for a while).

Otherwise, the only reasons AFAIK that the 4LO light should flash are the vehicle isn't completely stopped, 4WD isn't engaged (ie 4HI), or you're already in 4WD and the driveline is so completely bound up from driving on pavement (or slickrock, or whatever) that friction between components is too great and it needs to be unloaded before you can get out.

Getting in...that sounds like a problem in your tcase that the service guy isn't knowledgable enough to diagnose...nothing bad on him, just sounds like he's not certain and is guessing like we are.

Have you talked to Marlin Crawler? Try their message board, they know Toyota drivetrains.

-Sean

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where did you get this information? I've never had to hold in the lo button. No hesitation, either. Is this a common problem? Well. Hope it works for him. If I ever have the problem I'll try that.
I got this information from myself when I was going from 4Hi to 4Lo and pressed the 4Lo button to fast and it did not engage all the way. When I started to go it slipped out and you could hear the gears grinding.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I got this information from myself when I was going from 4Hi to 4Lo and pressed the 4Lo button to fast and it did not engage all the way. When I started to go it slipped out and you could hear the gears grinding.
Ouch! The green 4WD light blinks on mine sometimes but quits when I put it in gear. It doesn't make a sound so you only know it's engaged because the green light goes out, and the added traction, of course. But going to 4 Lo I get a noticible nudge and a slight "thunk" noise. Coming out it's just the opposite. Comes out of 4 Lo ok but if I don't get all the slack from the driveline out it really "clunks" going back into 2WD. I hate that.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Ouch! The green 4WD light blinks on mine sometimes but quits when I put it in gear. It doesn't make a sound so you only know it's engaged because the green light goes out, and the added traction, of course. But going to 4 Lo I get a noticible nudge and a slight "thunk" noise. Coming out it's just the opposite. Comes out of 4 Lo ok but if I don't get all the slack from the driveline out it really "clunks" going back into 2WD. I hate that. But you posted on Gen 1 Tundra and I believe you're referring to a Sequoia. Is it the same system?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts