Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Krylon Fusion....are you going to Black out the grille on that YARIS???

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Krylon Fusion....are you going to Black out the grille on that YARIS???
thx. i suppose i have to go fix my garage...if only i cared enough to track down the location of it, hahaha.

this is actually for my '10 platinum 4x4....

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Its meant to adhere to plastic...it should work fine then....

·
Registered
82 Posts
In my experience and research the best way to black out the grille or emblem is to first scratch it up a bit with a scouring pad. Clean it with Iso alcohol. Then give it a coat to self etching primer. Then give it a couple coats of paint of choice. Satin black in my experience is the best match to a factory black grille!! :tu:

·
Tundra Solutions Founder
1,714 Posts

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I would use semi gloss, just like the work truck package. Flatter paint can sometimes be weaker than gloss paint.

Whichever you choose, get real automotive paint with a catalyst (hardener). Most rattle can products will not have the same durability and will begin chipping in a year or two.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most better auto paint stores can put any paint you want in a spray can.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i saw the title and got all excited thinking someone had painted a tundra in flat black...darn...but i think a flat black tundra would look friggin awesome....

·
Registered
32,593 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Remember, flat black is porous to a certain extent and will show bug stains and is not UV protected. You can go with satin black Fusion which is easier to keep clean but expect to be touching it up occaisionally. [which is really no big deal]

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I would use semi gloss, just like the work truck package. Flatter paint can sometimes be weaker than gloss paint.

Whichever you choose, get real automotive paint with a catalyst (hardener). Most rattle can products will not have the same durability and will begin chipping in a year or two.
What brand would you reccomend? I just want to paint the toyota emblem out of the grille. So just scuff it up clean it with alcohol and paint it with automotive semi-gloss black? This is a good thread as I have been curious about how to do this. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
You will need primer also. Don't try to shoot just the topcoat over the scuffed emblem.

I am not a painter by trade, but for the front end and bumpers I like to use industrial "plastic" paint because it has better scuff / impact resistance. Up here there is a company called Endura that sells it.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
You will need primer also. Don't try to shoot just the topcoat over the scuffed emblem.

I am not a painter by trade, but for the front end and bumpers I like to use industrial "plastic" paint because it has better scuff / impact resistance. Up here there is a company called Endura that sells it.
appreciate it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts