Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, sorry I wasn't sure on where to put this one.

I've messed with salvage vehicles before, mainly motorcycles. But now with all these vehicles coming up in the aftermath of Texas and Florida I had a sudden urge.

Who all has dealt with flooded vehicles for personal use? I can't justify the upgrade cost to keep my Limited.

Is there a certain water level you wouldn't mess with? Some electronics would need to be replaced obviously.

Reason I'm considering it is because I love my Tundra. Don't care too much about warranties, it's something I'd keep and drive into the dirt. Current truck has almost 200k on the odo (which is nothing I got it around 75k and kept up with everything)
It's basically... Newer truck, 4x4, less miles to just keep and drive since I wouldn't really NEED another one any time soon.

Pro's or Con's for those that have dealt with it?

·
Registered
805 Posts
You can have a lot of electrical problems with flooded vehicles. There are procedures from Toyota on how to deal with them. I am pretty sure the 2010 Tundra I had was a flood vehicle from the other side of Columbia.
It was fine and the interior was all like new but you could tell by looking at things that bolted to the floor of the body. If I had time to go through every single electrical connection and chacnge/flush ALL the fluids including the running gear and any where else water could get I would consider one as long as it didn't come up above the bottom of the seat. If the dash and top of the engine were under water that would be a hard pass for me.

Weird electrical problems failure and fires are the potential problems. Probably not worth it unless it was scrap price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Each vehicle will be different. There was a guy in Houston who had his AMG flooded over the hurricanes, he was freaking out because he thought the car was done.

Dried it out a bit, replaced some module and cleaned the carpet, car is as good as new!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts