Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a Flowmaster 50 Series welding in about a month ago in place of the factory 55 gallon barrel muffler. Just prior to that I got a good deal on a Spectra intake, See Pic. I installed that a few weeks before the 50 series. By itself it was like my typical experiences with K&N FIPKs in the past. Didn't really hear it until WOT, reasonable at Cruising speeds, but I felt my MPG had suffered since I installed the Intake. On a 300 road trip I had taken since the lift and tires, MPG went from 15ish to 13.5-14 now that the intake was installed. On a similar but different note my 2014 Camry V-6 gained 2 MPG day to day with a HPS short-ram intake.

Well fast forward to the 50 series install and resonator deleted, which did not seem to make MPG better or worse, there was a significant drone throughout the passenger compartment. I pulled all the seats, trim and carpet up/out behind the drivers seat and covered the floor with 60 Mil Kilmat off amazon, see pics. It helped there is no doubt, but during the same 300 mile road trip above with the intake and 50 series, I had a nasty reverb sound that seem to originate from the front at between 75-80MPH. Last weekend I reinstalled the factory air intake and cleaned the K&N drop-in filter. I had previously removed the carbon filter in the factory intake box. Drove it for about 30 miles on the highway in the same 75-80 MPH range and the reverb sound is all but gone. I can hear the exhaust but neither the wife or I thought it was obnoxious. We could carry a conversation again. I feel the exhaust has a good sound in everyday driving, you definitely know its there, but settles down at cruising speeds.

So in review my combination of the Spectra intake and Flowmaster 50 Series dual in/single out was not good IMHO. Based on my experience I would suggest to stay with the factory air intake and be prepared to add some additional sound proofing with the 50 series. Like Expo_Tundra mentioned to me the 70 Series might be a better choice for the Sequoia. My Sequoia is completely livable now with the additional sound absorbing mat but I plan to add some additional in the future.

Attachments

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for sharing honest feedback. Drone in the cab is my biggest concern with modding the exhaust. It's very annoying, especially when towing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
agreed, thank you for the complete feedback, upsides tend to get promoted, sometimes downsides do not get the same level of communication but its important for us all that they do.

20 something years ago I changed the clutch in my 280, there were rust issues with the exhaust flange studs at the end of the header and I could not get it back together until I got parts, but I still had to get around, young me thought it actually sounded really cool around town, idling, leaving a light etc, but as soon as I got on the freeway it was really unpleasant, like being in a tin can while a jackhammer beats the outside of it, the sound bounced around the cabin and meet itself. I had to wear earplugs for the 30min freeway drive to work. the droning on can be surprisingly tiring. I am sure the 50 series is not nearly as loud as open exhaust but I get exactly what you are saying.

how much kill mat did it take and what was the total cost?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agreed, thank you for the complete feedback, upsides tend to get promoted, sometimes downsides do not get the same level of communication but its important for us all that they do.

20 something years ago I changed the clutch in my 280, there were rust issues with the exhaust flange studs at the end of the header and I could not get it back together until I got parts, but I still had to get around, young me thought it actually sounded really cool around town, idling, leaving a light etc, but as soon as I got on the freeway it was really unpleasant, like being in a tin can while a jackhammer beats the outside of it, the sound bounced around the cabin and meet itself. I had to wear earplugs for the 30min freeway drive to work. the droning on can be surprisingly tiring. I am sure the 50 series is not nearly as loud as open exhaust but I get exactly what you are saying.

how much kill mat did it take and what was the total cost?
Sorry this reply is so late. I got a box of 36 square feet and the metal roller tool for $67. Completely worth it. Did the entire floor of the back and most of the foot well on the passenger front. See Link

Amazon Kilmat

An air ratchet is a big help!!! Makes things easier and faster.

I plan to get some more soon and finish covering the foot well on the passenger side and drivers side.

Reactions: Jonesy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts