Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally peace at last!

I went from flowmaster 40's SIDO then Magnaflow SIDO and now single side exit gibson catback.

I got all my bottom end pulling power back and according to the scanguage I picked up close to 2mpg. The difference is suprising after driving this truck for 12 months with duals out the back it was interesting to see there is actual power loss.

I have had loud exhaust systems on different vehicles over the years but for some reason the tundra is very likely to droan like crazy. There is a difference between loud and droaning and droaning sucks IMHO.

The gibson catback even has a very slight droan at 60mph but it is tolerable. At speeds below 60mph the interior noise level is close to stock above 65mph you can hear nothing but wind and tire noise. When you stand down hard on it you still know you are driving a V8!

Cutting out the old magnaflow duals with a sawzall and installing the gibson catback took about 1 1/2 hours dropping the spare tire really helps.

So in the last 12 months I have about $700 invested in 3 different exhausts :eek: honestly if I could do it all again I would leave it stock or go with the gibson single side exit.

If anyone would like pictures of the gibson system I will be happy take a few and post them as there is virtually no info available for the gibson system on these trucks.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I kind of know how you feel. I just cut out my Flowmaster cat-back system. It was a SIDO and exited out the rear. I noticed a real drop in towing power with this setup. Now I have a custom SISO Magnaflow, 11266, and exits out the side like stock. So I didn't throw away quite as much cash as you but still wish I had just replaced the muffler alone and kept the stock pipes. At least you have found a setup that works for you and I believe that the Gibson is one of the best setups for towing, if you tow.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of know how you feel. I just cut out my Flowmaster cat-back system. It was a SIDO and exited out the rear. I noticed a real drop in towing power with this setup. Now I have a custom SISO Magnaflow, 11266, and exits out the side like stock. So I didn't throw away quite as much cash as you but still wish I had just replaced the muffler alone and kept the stock pipes. At least you have found a setup that works for you and I believe that the Gibson is one of the best setups for towing, if you tow.
Thats pretty much what got the ball rolling I'm towing a 5000lb camper we purchased a couple months ago. Gibson states they make best exhaust for towing power we will see. We are headed out in a couple of weeks camping. I do know that driving around unloaded there was a loss of low end power with the dual setup I had.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Thats pretty much what got the ball rolling I'm towing a 5000lb camper we purchased a couple months ago. Gibson states they make best exhaust for towing power we will see. We are headed out in a couple of weeks camping. I do know that driving around unloaded there was a loss of low end power with the dual setup I had.
We have about the same amount of weight behind us. I'm a bit lighter at 4800lb. We just did a 5 1/2 hour trip last weekend to Long Beach, WA, through some pretty steep grades. I can honestly say it was like driving a new truck. Before the DT headers and muffler change, I would have to floor it just to try and get up a hill. Now it only takes a slight decrease of the pedal and she makes it up no problem. It's hard to say what gave me the most kick in the pants, but the truck tows like a champ now! Hope your new Gibson gives you the punch you need.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have about the same amount of weight behind us. I'm a bit lighter at 4800lb. We just did a 5 1/2 hour trip last weekend to Long Beach, WA, through some pretty steep grades. I can honestly say it was like driving a new truck. Before the DT headers and muffler change, I would have to floor it just to try and get up a hill. Now it only takes a slight decrease of the pedal and she makes it up no problem. It's hard to say what gave me the most kick in the pants, but the truck tows like a champ now! Hope your new Gibson gives you the punch you need.
Sounds good!

The extra little punch should be good although it does well now but its all flat land around here.....my biggest deal was the noise after 1-2 hours of cruising at 60-65mph I wanted to get out of the truck and shoot myself with the magnaflow duals droaning :mad:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
The Gibson 2 1/2" cat back was the 1st aftermarket exhaust I installed on my truck and after 3 months I took it off. I lost so much low end power, I couldn't stand driving the truck. The drone inside the cab was awful too. I've had about 5 different exhaust/mufflers on and I'm still not happy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried the Flowmaster Super 40 Series on a stock pipe. I get a some drone at 60 - 65 as well. Before and after that, It's pretty quiet. I lost some low end power. I was a little disappointed, but I don't tow much, so it doesn't really matter to me, (and it's not very significant). I was going for a strong sound, and I definitely go that. It really lets the 4.7 sing. I did a complete review of this muffler on my site if you want to check it out.

Toyota Aftermarket Parts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Hi Folks,

Well, I guess I'll join in here. I went from stock muffler to the Flowmaster Cat Back system that was a 50 series a resonator that installed right after the stock resonator. The set up had a drone at 60 - 65 but was tollerable and not obnoxious. I finally went to the muffler shop and had the stock resonator removed.

The ol' gearhead in me wanted a little more rumble so I opted to go down to the muffler shop and they putt a 40 series (they called it a Flowmaster Turbo, SIDO) and it's almost too loud. Took a 200 mile trip and the drone is significant. I'm not real happy.

I don't tow anything heaveir than a ATV or layout boat (duck hunting) so I'm not experiencing the power loss that previous posters are. I wonder if I should have gone with a 60 serties flowmaster for the low rumble and slight drone? Anybody done this?

I'm almost like HayTundra..."ready to shoot myself":confused:

Kevin

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Folks,

Well, I guess I'll join in here. I went from stock muffler to the Flowmaster Cat Back system that was a 50 series a resonator that installed right after the stock resonator. The set up had a drone at 60 - 65 but was tollerable and not obnoxious. I finally went to the muffler shop and had the stock resonator removed.

The ol' gearhead in me wanted a little more rumble so I opted to go down to the muffler shop and they putt a 40 series (they called it a Flowmaster Turbo, SIDO) and it's almost too loud. Took a 200 mile trip and the drone is significant. I'm not real happy.

I don't tow anything heaveir than a ATV or layout boat (duck hunting) so I'm not experiencing the power loss that previous posters are. I wonder if I should have gone with a 60 serties flowmaster for the low rumble and slight drone? Anybody done this?

I'm almost like HayTundra..."ready to shoot myself":confused:

Kevin
Spending the $250 for the gibson catback side exit was money well spent although if you still have your stock system I would put it back on and be happy with it......I kick myself everyday for tossing mine in the trash :rolleyes:

I love the sound of V8's with duals, on my old 98 Mustang GT I had flowmaster 40's, no cats, off road H pipe and it sounded great with NO droan!

Regards and good luck with it!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Gibson 2 1/2" cat back was the 1st aftermarket exhaust I installed on my truck and after 3 months I took it off. I lost so much low end power, I couldn't stand driving the truck. The drone inside the cab was awful too. I've had about 5 different exhaust/mufflers on and I'm still not happy.

Yeah it seems like a no win situation........

Leave the stock exhaust on and enjoy the piece and quiet or
Add aftermarket exhaust and suffer the dreaded tundra droan.......

Interesting to hear you hated your gibson after the flows and magnaflows I am in heaven lol..........maybe they changed the muffler size or something on later model tundra catbacks.

I guess some people are more sensitive to the droan than others it drives me nuts!

Regards

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I'm on the road to repair....I think. After a long conversation with Flowmaster Reps, it seems that the Series 40 muffler I had the local shop install is just about the loudest muffler Flowmaster produces. It was not intended for use on the Tundra and was not dynotuned for the 4.7 2000 - 2006 applications. They were kind enough to list me the muffler item number and resonator combo that their 17425 Cat back system used for duplication. I ordered from Summit and will re-install. Pretty costly mistake I'd like to document here in the forum to help prevent others from doing the same.

The sound this application made minus the original resonator that was OEM, produced a nice rumble at idel but no obnoxious drone at highway speeds. I'll report back next week on how it goes as it should be delivered tomorrow and installed either Saturday or Tuesday. Jeese....what a $400.00 mistake!!!!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
True Dual "Sticks" for well under $250 . . . . . ;)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have the Magnaflow 15820 SIDO. Yeah, I was sure I was going to take my own life at times when I first put it on but then one day I was driving home and the drone was just gone. I had it on for about 4 months I think before the noise went away. I was going to remove the system right away but yes, I too was dumb enough to toss the stock system. And if you notice my handle, I was not about the open the wallet again anytime soon. Anyway, am I the only guy to have the dreaded drone that went away on its own? I have heard some say the exhaust takes time to "break in" or that there is fibreglass packing in the muffler that eventually dissipates or something like that.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I have heard that this is common with glass packed exhaust systems. There is a break in period and until then the exhaust is much louder. It will be interesting to see if mine takes around the same time. I guess a lot of it depends on how much you drive. I live in a small town now and have really cut down the miles I put on my truck. It will probably take me a bit longer, but can handle the volume. I don't really have much of a drone issue unless I am towing my TT at around 40mph. That is the loudest range, anything else and it really mellows out. I don't have any tip on my exhaust pipe either, which may make a difference. I have been looking at a Gibson tip that has a sweet flame marking in the chrome. I'm curious as to what it will do to the sound.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I have the Magnaflow 15820 SIDO. Yeah, I was sure I was going to take my own life at times when I first put it on but then one day I was driving home and the drone was just gone. I had it on for about 4 months I think before the noise went away. I was going to remove the system right away but yes, I too was dumb enough to toss the stock system. And if you notice my handle, I was not about the open the wallet again anytime soon. Anyway, am I the only guy to have the dreaded drone that went away on its own? I have heard some say the exhaust takes time to "break in" or that there is fibreglass packing in the muffler that eventually dissipates or something like that.
Ahhh....much better. Got the Flowmaster #530552 50 series muffler (3 chambered) and #15110 resonator welded together and replaced the 40 series installed by the local muffler shop. Man...what a difference. Nice little rumble at idle and a tolerable little rumble at 60 - 65 mph.

I'm out about $500.00 to get back to enjoyable ride again. I too didn't keep the old system. Hope this helps someone else looking for an aftermarket performace exhaust without the interior drone and don't have to spend a bunch to find it.

Kevin

·
Registered
918 Posts
This is why I'm reluctant to go aftermarket with the exhaust right now. I did it on my 04 Dakota, went with SI/DO. Sounded fantastic but I had a couple different mufflers and lost low end pull. The extra airflow without proper tuning just seemed to move the power up the rev range. And that truck was a bit lacking on the low end to begin with. Plan on doing some REAL careful research to get a better sound with at least no power loss on my 09 Crewmax 5.7. This motor is fantastic and I won't trade one ounce of output for sound improvement as much as I do love a good rumble. It will likely end up being a single exit system a good straight through muffler and pipes not much bigger than stock.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I just installed the Flowmaster 70 series Delta flow and the pipe itself is not that loud. Just if someone wants a nice soft rumble when you start so all you hear is not the fanblades getting ready for take off. I have put about 500 miles on it and do not notice the drone i have had on other vehicles with the dynomax or more open flowmasters. I just installed the Volant last week and i get more sound out of it when cruising at 75 than i do the exhaust. .002 cents worth..
zeeya

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
This is why I'm reluctant to go aftermarket with the exhaust right now. I did it on my 04 Dakota, went with SI/DO. Sounded fantastic but I had a couple different mufflers and lost low end pull. The extra airflow without proper tuning just seemed to move the power up the rev range. And that truck was a bit lacking on the low end to begin with. Plan on doing some REAL careful research to get a better sound with at least no power loss on my 09 Crewmax 5.7. This motor is fantastic and I won't trade one ounce of output for sound improvement as much as I do love a good rumble. It will likely end up being a single exit system a good straight through muffler and pipes not much bigger than stock.
I know the feeling. My wife can have plans laid out and needing honey do's, if i mention washing her car, all plans get cancelled and given the ok,,,, get after it. I choose to do mine, "Why can't you do it tomorrow or whenever I've made plans" U all ever get that thrown at you?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Your stock muffler is also a 3 chamber,the same as the TRD version.
That was an expensive lesson

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I promised a update after a chance to take our travel trailer out.

I'm sold on the gibson no doubt about it, bottom end torque is much better, hill climbing much better and the dreaded droaning is completely gone at my towing speeds 60-65 mph.

Also picked up a significant increase in towing fuel mileage.

The bad? There is now a new droaning noise at 40mph OD off under load thankfully I spend very little time towing at 40mph and I can live with it for the exhaust silence at highway speed.

We didnt travel far as this was a quick weekend trip 3 nights but after 350 miles I can certainly suggest the gibson side exit for people towing travel trailers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts