Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was struggling with the idea of running true dual exhaust for about a week until I spoke with an exhaust veteran and he instructed me NOT to run true duals for a number of reasons. Well i decided to go with the flowmaster super 40 series and I could not be happier. This muffler with a dual in/dual out design sounds IMHO the best I have heard yet. It honestly has an "exhotic" sound and is very very deep with a super mellow sound without being too abnoxious. When crusing at around 60-70 MPH there is no drone what so ever! I guess this is due to the 6 speed tranny only turning about 1,600 RPM. I wish I had the equipment to post some sound clips. Mine are installed at a 45 degree angle behind the rear tire just like the TRD and looks just as good at 1/2 the cost of the TRD. My total cost was $450.00. For those of you who are considering the TRD exhaust but don't want to pay $900.00 I would HIGHLY recommend this muffler!!!!
Super 40 Series 2.50" DUAL/DUAL [9525454] : Flowmaster Inc. Exhaust Shop, Love That Sound!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont know how that got there! I've been smiling like a mule eating briars since I got this exhast!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I put a Magnaflow 12588 on mine (dual 2.5 inlet, single 3.0 outlet). It is unnoticeable at idle and sounds great at full throttle. It is a little too mellow though. I considered the Flowmaster but the drone has killed me on other vehicles.

I would be interested in hearing a sound clip or seeing a vid. I might change mine if it isn't too loud. How does it sound at idle?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has a nice LOUD, DEEP roar at the crank and then idles smooth and mellow. Under moderate to heavy acceleration it sounds something like a NASCAR with
that "hollow" sound as if it had an x-pipe installed, but NEVER gets raspy or too raw sounding. I just wish I had the equipment to post some sound clips so you guys could hear it. It would be hard to find anybody that wouldn't like the sound of this muffler with this 5.7L engine. Just remember, these trucks have 6-speed trannys and will be turning far fewer RPM'S at cruising speeds thus eliminating alot of drone, seeing how most drone seems to occur between 2100-2400 RPM.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hey uncle fungus,
Great to see you like your duals. I went with duals also but, chose Borla PRO-XS. Used the same configuration as you. Drone is at initial acceleration. Sounds great at cruise. Alot of people are going with the TRD but, I couldn't pay the high price!!!:tu:

·
Registered
197 Posts
So tell me...do u have to replace the whole exhaust system for this flowmaster or just install this muffler in place of stock.:confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got the TRD on my tundra I didn't want it, but the vehicle matched everything I wanted except the exhaust. My take on it is it's very expensive not really any gain in performance and the sound is weak. You can't hear it will cruising on the highway which I think is good. Put when you punch it against a Ford you really can't hear it either. As far as longevity this system will last about the same as any quaility aftermarket system. I had a Borla system on a 99' V6 Mustang and it was awesome I put in on myself in about a 1/2HR and it costs around $450 also looked brand new 5 years later when I sold it. I would consider looking at the aftermarket before buying TRD.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Removal of the stock muffler and running the 2 outlet pipes is all that done, no touching of the converters. Not sure about the 4.7L but the 5.7L
does not contain a Y-pipe to be cut which is why this muffler is a dual in/dual out design vs a single/in dual out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
how much did it all cost you

·
Registered
119 Posts
:confused:
I was struggling with the idea of running true dual exhaust for about a week until I spoke with an exhaust veteran and he instructed me NOT to run true duals for a number of reasons.
Hey what were the reasons?:confused:

Can you define TRUE DUAL EXHAUST for me?

I had magnaflow for my previous SUV and now with my Tundra, I was considering the TRD...but the price is slowing me down...I will research a lot more...thanks for your help:ts:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$450.00 for parts and labor. that included SS 4" tips

·
Registered
18 Posts
A true dual is dual pipes from your headers on back. The only time they combine is with and x or h pipe. x and h pipes are to equalize the exhaust out. People mainly do it for sound. As for non true duals is where they split the pipes after the muffler, it is for looks. You get the performance out of true duals.

So what size is everyone running? 2.5" for true duals? 3" or 3.5" for single?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"True Dual" exhaust will have 2 seperate mufflers. MOST vehicles (including mine) you see on the road with 2 exhaust pipes are NOT running true duals, they simply have 1 muffler with 2 exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A true dual is dual pipes from your headers on back. The only time they combine is with and x or h pipe. x and h pipes are to equalize the exhaust out. People mainly do it for sound. As for non true duals is where they split the pipes after the muffler, it is for looks. You get the performance out of true duals.

So what size is everyone running? 2.5" for true duals? 3" or 3.5" for single?
2.5 IN AND OUT. THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD IS A LITTLE SMALLER!!!???:eek:

·
Registered
93 Posts
For the easiest installation and least restriction, I went with the dual 2.5 in and single 3.0 out. If you look at the exhaust, the inlets and outlets flare just before and after the stock muffler. If you went with the 2.25 in and 2.5 out, you might end up with a restriction depending on the skill of the welder/installer.

Magnaflow just release a bolt on catback (for the 5.7l) that claims some substantial HP/TQ gains but is not a dual kit. The price is a little high for what you get. I spent $99 for the muffler and $35 for the install and have about the same thing they are selling.

Link here:
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust - For Truck & SUV's

Dyno Chart is here: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/dynos/trundra57.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tiller1K, have you noticed any power gains or increased fuel economy since adding the magnflow?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tiller1K, have you noticed any power gains or increased fuel economy since adding the magnflow?
I have only had it for a little over a week now. The butt dyno cannot tell a difference. :D They say you need a gain of at least 10hp to feel it but it would probably take more in a 5000lb+ vehicle.

As far as gas mileage, it has gone down since the install because I can't keep my foot out of it. I love to hear the sound. My driving is mixed highway and city with 70% being in Houston traffic. Very small changes in driving habits can't be measured since you might sit longer in traffic one day than the next. I am going to take another road trip and see if there is an improvement. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have only had it for a little over a week now. The butt dyno cannot tell a difference. :D They say you need a gain of at least 10hp to feel it but it would probably take more in a 5000lb+ vehicle.

As far as gas mileage, it has gone down since the install because I can't keep my foot out of it. I love to hear the sound. My driving is mixed highway and city with 70% being in Houston traffic. Very small changes in driving habits can't be measured since you might sit longer in traffic one day than the next. I am going to take another road trip and see if there is an improvement. I will keep you posted.
I got flowmaster 70 installed a month ago and love it. 300.00 with aluminum pipes out to the back. Some drone 30-45 but none on highway. The tips make a big difference in sound as I drove mine w/o them and it was just barely louder than stock, but 3 x 16 exits gave it a nice rumble. Have noticed low end increase and throttle response (alls added a True flow airfilter) had my best milage after 22 mpg on a highway trip, seems 1-2 mpg better when I can keep my foot out of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts