Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post the fluid capacities for the Tundra for the transmission and differentials, thanks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just happen to have this information on a piece of paper in my pocket because I stopped by the parts store today to pick up enough gear oil to change them all tomorrow.

Front Differential - 4WD
1.2 Quart
75W-90 API GL-5

Transfer Case - 4WD
1.1 Quart
75W-90 API GL-4 or GL-5

Differential - TRD Limited Slip
3.1 Quart
SAE 90 API GL-5 for limited slip

I ended up picking up 6 quarts of Mobil1 75W-90 Synthetic gear oil. I also got a tube of Trans-X Posi-Trac Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive. Never heard of this brand/type before but it was all the store had and it says it meets oem requirements for "most imports". It specifically says to use it with convential or synthetic GL-5 gear oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help! Don't happen to have the capacity for the automatic transmission by chance?

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Laps said:
Thanks for your help! Don't happen to have the capacity for the automatic transmission by chance?
14.9 quarts. I bought 16 when I did mine I think. That is for a complete flush, not just emptying what is in the pan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is a complete transmission fluid flush something that can be done by a general maintenance type garage? Thanks, Laps.

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Laps said:
Is a complete transmission fluid flush something that can be done by a general maintenance type garage? Thanks, Laps.
YOU can do it. All you need is a 13mm (think thats the size) wrench for transmission drain plug, a pair of pliers to get the cooler hose off, and a 5 gallon bucket, thats it. Sorry and a funnel to add fluid back in. :clown:

If you take it to a garage they will tell you they need to have a recycling machine, most dealerships, even quickie oil change places have them now days. I believe places are charging about $70-$100 PLUS you bring your own fluid. :eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am looking forward to replacing mine come the time but I have a question. I want to use Amsoil in the change but what type do I use? The list on amsoil.com confuses me and damn my luck for losing my Owners Manual.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Ripper

Check your manual for the 2003. I've got a 2003 Sequoia (built April '03) and it lists the following:

Transfer case: GL-4 or GL-5 75W-90 1.3 qt
Front Differential: GL-5 75W-90 1.2 qt
Rear Differential: GL-5 3.9 qt.Synthetic 75W-140 I presume the TRD LSD might be different. (you list SAE90)
Tranny only lists drain and refill but Toyota type T-IV which is NOT compatible with regular dexron II or III

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Here it's OK to put used ATF in the used motor oil recycle tank. ATF is an oil, after all.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
KLS said:
Here it's OK to put used ATF in the used motor oil recycle tank. ATF is an oil, after all.

Ken
Same here, they let me dump my old tranny fluid in with the oil at the quicky oil change place.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For a full flush...

Sorry if I'm a slow learner ;) but let me get this straight.

Loosen the transmission drain plug, take off the lower cooler hose and lead the hose in to a 5 gallon bucket that is marked off in quarts.

Then turn on the engine and run untill 2 quarts pump out.

Turn off the engine.

Add 2 quarts through a funnel.

Turn on the engine and run untill 2 more quarts pump out.

Turn off the engine.

Repeat. Correct?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Drain the transmission and replace the plug.
Refill the transmission to the normal level, about 4 quarts.
Disconnect the cooler hose, add a longer length of hose so it reaches a bucket or jug, run the engine briefly to pump out two quarts, stop the engine, add two quarts of new ATF down the transmission dipstick tube, run the engine to pump out two quarts, etc., etc., until you've exchanged another 12 quarts for total of 16 quarts. Put everything back together, check for leaks, and correct the level.

I'd add a Magnefine or SPX Filtran in-line transmission filter (3/8") to the cooler line.

Ken

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Crazychopstick said:
Thanks. At 55,000 miles I think it is time to flush it.

But I called my local Toyota dealership and they said that these "newer" trucks, meaning the Tundras, don't need to be flushed, just replace the oil. :confused:

What's that all about. Do they know what they are talking about?
Compare the color of your present ATF to new ATF. Are the two equally bright red? If your ATF is signficantly darkened or smells scorched, if definately requires a complete flush. Many folks just drain and refill the four quarts from the pan every 10,000 miles or so, and thus keep the ATF freshened. I do a complete flush myself. Because I spend the money for synthetic ATF, I find it cost effective to send a sample to the lab for analysis before I dump it. So far, the synthetic ATF is still good at 30,000 as determined by the lab.

Ken

·
Registered
135 Posts
KLS said:
Compare the color of your present ATF to new ATF. Are the two equally bright red? If your ATF is signficantly darkened or smells scorched, if definately requires a complete flush. Many folks just drain and refill the four quarts from the pan every 10,000 miles or so, and thus keep the ATF freshened. I do a complete flush myself. Because I spend the money for synthetic ATF, I find it cost effective to send a sample to the lab for analysis before I dump it. So far, the synthetic ATF is still good at 30,000 as determined by the lab.

Ken
What type of Synthetic do you use?

Should I just get a shop to do it or do it myself?

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
Crazychopstick said:
What type of Synthetic do you use?

Should I just get a shop to do it or do it myself?
THIS is one of the easiest maintenance items you can do to your truck yourself. You only need 2 tools, a 13 or 14mm wrench for the transmission pan plug and a pair of pliers to get the clamp off the hose at the tranny cooler up front. That and 30 minutes of your time and its done. ;)

BTW I have Mobil 1 in mine but Ken probably uses Schaefer fluids. If you have an '03 or '04 im not so sure the Mobil 1 will work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
:( A little worried now

Well, I got lazy and took it to a shop instead.

They used a supposed Penzoil brand synthetic oil.

I have a few questions:

1. Is this a bad brand?

2. What's the oem transmission oil brand?

3. If I wanted to change the brand of synthetic tranny oil, will I need to flush it again? Or can I just drain the 4 quarts and add in a different brand of synthetic oil (Mobil 1)?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. :ts:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
SATundra said:
14.9 quarts. I bought 16 when I did mine I think. That is for a complete flush, not just emptying what is in the pan.

Do you know how to flush the transmision? I have a V6 tundra. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
ethielr said:
Do you know how to flush the transmision? I have a V6 tundra. Thanks
I do for the V8, but im not sure for the V6. I dont see a writeup in the Garage Forums for the V6 either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts