Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can you purchase a fluid pump for pumping the rear differential?

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Registered
524 Posts
You dont need a fluid pump, just pull the drain plug. If you wanted one, walmart sells them, the bulb type or you can go to any auto parts store and get the very large syringe type.

But basically to drain an refill the diff:
1. Pull plug and let drain.
2. Use small squirt bottle they sell gear oil in and keep putting it in there till it trickles out.
3. Your done,

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Auto part stores sells pumps for the gear oil containers. It pumps just like a soap dispenser bottle by pushing down. Are you trying to remove the gear oil or put in gear oil? If trying to remove, is the drain plug unremovable or something else?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought a pretty good one online from Amsoil that I used to refill my gearboxes.

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Auto part stores sells pumps for the gear oil containers. It pumps just like a soap dispenser bottle by pushing down. Are you trying to remove the gear oil or put in gear oil? If trying to remove, is the drain plug unremovable or something else?
I have not done it yet, just wondered how easy it is to pour it back in the differential? Will be doing the transfer case and front differential eventually and want to be able to refill.

Scoob

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Buy a funnel such as one you'd use to put engine oil in the truck and
buy a length of hose to your liking that the funnel will fit snugly into
and you'll be good to go. You can put one end of the hose into the
fill hole and stand up on the side of your truck and fill it.

John

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have not done it yet, just wondered how easy it is to pour it back in the differential? Will be doing the transfer case and front differential eventually and want to be able to refill.

Scoob
Most of the gear oil bottles I've seen have a nozzle on the end. Just tip the bottle up and squeeze it in.

I've been using Redline, which doesn't have nozzles on the bottle. I just transfer it to an old bottle w/ a nozzle and squeeze it in.

I've tried some of the cheap pumps in the past. Some work, some don't because of the viscosity of the thick gear oil, and some just flat out make more mess than they're worth. If you're going to use a pump, warm the bottles in the sun or pan of hot water on the stove (don't let your wife see you do this) to thin the fluid. Will make pumping easier.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have done it with the little gear oil bottles, just keep squeezing but its not fun. Ive used those pumps and they are ok, ive used the bulb type ones but viscous materials dont work well.

I am not sure the exact name of the item I have now that I use alot, but it looks like a grease gun except it has a pull on the one end and a hole with about 8 inches of clear hose on the other. Stick the thing inside whatever fluid bottle and pull the knob to draw the fluid in then put it into whatever you want to fill and push it in there. Holds about half a qt, I got it at autozone iirc.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've tried several different pumps in the past and have pretty much settled on the metal suction pump that they sell in most auto parts stores. They are reusable and last a long time if you clean them out after you're done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts