·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, well I read through the threads I saw about changing oil on:
  • The Front Differential
  • The Transfer Case, and
  • The Rear Differential

I saw good info on doing the Rear Differential and on the Front Differential, but not so much on the Transfer Case. If anybody has done it or is in the process of doing it, can you post some pictures?

Also, can all three use the same 75w90 Mobile 1 or Royal Purple GL5 Synthetic Oil? If so, how much total is needed? As far as I can deduce, it looks like:
  • The Front Differential requires 2.2 to 2.3 quarts,
  • The Transfer Case requires 1.2 quarts?!? (not sure if that is what I read here), and
  • The Rear Differential requires 3.6 to 4.0 quarts.

If those amounts are correct, that would mean between 7 and 7.5 quarts. Is that correct?

Lastly, it looks like the Front Differential drain plug isn't quite at the bottom... does jacking up the passenger side to tip it lower on the driver's side help empty more of the oil out? It seemed like there were a lot of different opinions on whether or not this was necessary. Thanks! I'm hoping to order the fluids and get this done next weekend as I've got 26.5K miles...

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's about right. I bought a case of gear oil online and had a little over 4 quarts left when I was done. That's including the pint or two from when I knocked an open bottle over on the driveway.

As for jacking the vehicle to get it all out... whatever. It's up to you.

The only thing with doing the transfer case, it's been a while, but there is some interference that you're going to have to remove. I don't remember if it was a heat shield or support piece or what. It's the same set up as the differentials. High point vent and low point drain. I think it' uses the same 10mm allen as the front diff to pull the vent and drain.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, well I guess I'm going to order this stuff today so it can hopefully arrive by the weekend... it seems weird that it is difficult to find in stores in enough quantity. I'm looking at AMSOil, Royal Purple and Mobile 1. Not sure what to go with yet...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts