Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new Iron Bull bumper for 2001 Tundra and have now set on the mission of trying to get the fog lights for it. I asked them what they recommend and they said the PIAA 510 lights. I looked them up but at $200+ for a set that is a bit high I think, but i would pay it for a good quality bulb. I was thinking of going with PIAA 959 Ion Projector Series for my bad weather lights and then the PIAA 510 for the good weather driving. Of course i could use both at the same time if i wanted. I plan on having each set on its own switch.

My question is what would be the best combination of lights for both snowy weather and just night driving? I am after as much light as i can get but i DO NOT want to be blinding other drivers. That was the reason i didn't switch my reflector headlights to HID's long ago.

Also, is the stock fog light harness capable of running both sets of lights or will i have to run another set of wires to power the extra pair of bulbs? If so what would be the recommended cable gauge and fuse rating?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
To not blind/annoy other drivers, you'll have to have some type of cutoff integrated into the lights and have them point low enough to light up what's in front of you. For a good combonation of lights, IMO, a pair of driving lights and fog lights would be best. Driving lights to light up the road further down and fogs to light up the area right in front of you. Especially towards the sides while going around corners.

I've been messing with my lights since I've purchased my truck and I finally think I have what I've been searching for 10 years. LOL!!!! I've always wanted the HID projectors for the stock housings but, way too much $$$. I've gone through procomp lighst, hella lights, swapping out bulbs, etc... Recently, I installed Hella 700's (have another set on order) and installed the cheap HID Raptor kits from ddmtuning.com. Light output improved but, still wanted the foreground lit up.

I ended up getting a pair of Hella Micro DE fogs and installed the HID kit I had in the Hella 700's. The micro DE's have a wide beam pattern and also have an integrated cutoff. With the HID kit, the light output produced is exactly what I was looking for without breaking the bank. I had them bolted to the pre-runner bumper I have but, was worried about thieves. Last, night I relocated them into the grill. I'll have a detailed post in my build thread. The DE's I bought used on craigslist for $50 and the HID kit for around $40. I'll have night pics posted later. The hella 700's will be mounted on my roof rack but, will keep them halogen and not convert to HID. Here's a pic for starters.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Look at the PIAA 940s in my gallery. Separate switch lets you run them in fog mode or drive mode.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So from what i gather it is better to have a set of wide beam fogs and a set of driving lights. I would like a set of HID's with the built-in cutoff but I can only find them in a driving light. Do they not make them in a fog light style? I have seen the PIAA 959 Ion Projector Series which are HIDs, but they are a yellow color. Does anyone make fog HIDs in a white light color?

From what i gather from the guys at Iron Bull the fog light holes are 5 inches. so anything larger than that i cant run. I dont want to have other lights on the Enforcer grill either since i think that looks a little tacky and its way overkill for me anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Almost forgot to answer your other questions. You can probably run one pair of aux. lights on the stock lines but, not both. If you wanted both, I'd say 12 gauge. 14 might be the limit. There's tables out there that will help determine which gauge wire to run depending on amperage, etc. I think 12 is good for up to 40 amps. For aux lights, it may run with a 15 amp fuse. So, double that to run both pais and you are still within limits.

Having both pairs on one switch is convenient but, I would suggest running them on separate switches. Having the driving lights on in foggy conditions is not recommended because of the reflection you get. You'd end up turning them off and then rendering the fog lighst useless.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dyogim, that just confirmed what i was thinking about the stock harness. I have no problem running a 2nd switch for that. Ive already ran over a dozen new switches in my tundra to my various gadgets.

With all your experience with lighting, do you think it would be better to go with the white light HID fogs or go with the yellow color? i have read that yellow is better for crappy weather like when its snowing. What is your experience?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Thanks dyogim, that just confirmed what i was thinking about the stock harness. I have no problem running a 2nd switch for that. Ive already ran over a dozen new switches in my tundra to my various gadgets.

With all your experience with lighting, do you think it would be better to go with the white light HID fogs or go with the yellow color? i have read that yellow is better for crappy weather like when its snowing. What is your experience?
Wish I could provide an experience for snow driving but, I don't. The times that I have driven has been during the day and was not a complete white out. For the HID kits, I stayed in the middle and wanted the whitest light output and went with 4500K bulb color, 35watt H3 bulbs. For foggy driving, I've driven through very thick fog to the point I can hardly see my front stinger on the bumper. For that, any high beam lights will just blind you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I figure i will probably be going with the PIAA 510 driving light kit and the PIAA PIAA 959 Ion Projector Fog Lamp Kits. i figure that these two together will be pushing around $450.

Is there a better combination than this or maybe one that is as good of quality but cheaper?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
From what I figure i will probably be going with the PIAA 510 driving light kit and the PIAA PIAA 959 Ion Projector Fog Lamp Kits. i figure that these two together will be pushing around $450.

Is there a better combination than this or maybe one that is as good of quality but cheaper?
Hella 500 fog and Hella 500 driving then convert both to HID using the $30 kit from ddmtuning.com.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may be wrong but wouldn't that mean i would be blinding other drivers because there is no cutoff built into the lens?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i decided to go with the PIAA 5164 Super White Driving kit and the PIAA 5161 Ion Crystal Yellow Beam Fog kit. I got both off amazon for $334, so i really hope they will work the way i want. I will be sure to post pictures of the install and when i get everything installed.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
I may be wrong but wouldn't that mean i would be blinding other drivers because there is no cutoff built into the lens?
That's true. The PIAA's should be a good set-up. Be sure to post some night pics....:tu:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i finally got my bumper put in a couple days ago and i figured i would add some pictures, there are more in my galleries. I really love the black coating they put on the bumper, especially since it matches my Line-x perfectly. I wired the light switches to some i put in near the inside fuse panel. it took a while to do but it looks great.

I also had to grind a lot out of the stock cross beam that you bolt the stock skid plate to. but it works and i am very pleased with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well i finally got my bumper put in a couple days ago and i figured i would add some pictures, there are more in my galleries. I really love the black coating they put on the bumper, especially since it matches my Line-x perfectly. I wired the light switches to some i put in near the inside fuse panel. it took a while to do but it looks great.

I also had to grind a lot out of the stock cross beam that you bolt the stock skid plate to. but it works and i am very pleased with the results.
Nice! :tu:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will try to get some night shots later today and post them, but i figured i would get these up while i was thinking about it.

I added a 2 foot green LED strip that i had pointed towards the IRON BULL words on the bumper. this was actually a request from my mom...ya i know...of all people. She said it would really match my Monster Energy theme for the truck and i agreed that it would. So i got it wired in about 2 hours after being very meticulous about how things were ran. This is the end result.

The pictures show the LED strip and wires being ran along and through the same cross member that holds the skid plate. The other wires are going to the PIAA lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well here are some night shots, well as good as i could get thanks to the crappy yellow street lights. The pictures go from just my yellow fogs, to just driving lights, then both, then both and my truck lights. I also threw in a shot of the green LED strip lighting up the iron bull name.

Can anyone tell me if my lights are aimed at the correct place on the ground, especially my fogs?

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts