Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS MOD IS FOR ANYTIME FOG LIGHTS! EVEN WORKS WITH HIGH BEAMS ON!

This was sorta difficult for me at first but i figured it out and with the help of two TS Members.

There is 2 steps for this mod and fairly easy. I used a website as a guide on what to do but the wires for the 06 tundra double cab limited with DRL were different colors. So follow these steps pretty much exactly but look for the RIGHT COLORED WIRES!

Website to follow.. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/member-mods/36471-dc-foglight-mod/

1.Under the steering wheel cover your looking for just 2 wires. A big ground wire thats White-wit-Black stripe(DO NOT CUT!)... Now the other wire is a tiny green-wit-black stripe wire(CUT IT) and tape off the end going into truck while the other end going into switch needs to be spliced into the big ground wire (w/b) and your done there super easy.

2.Under the Interior dash behind the fuse box is a green-wit-white stripe wire. This wire gives power to the fuse relay and if you cut it your fog lights should not come on at all. (that means you cut right wire) tape up the wire going into the truck! The other end going into the plug you need to extend with a 12' long same guage or higher wire and run it to the BIG black-wit-white stripe power wire going to the windshield wiper switch under the steering wheel cover. Splice them together!! Now you have a 12v power source for ignition.

now once you did these easy steps turn ignition on with your key and admire your new fogs!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
in steps one and two are you talking about splicing into the same white-w-black ground wire?

·
Registered
225 Posts
very simplified, like it.. will do once my warranty runs out.

·
Registered
431 Posts
didn't work to the windshield wiper wire
help?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey all,
I decided to tackle this project today and ended up pulling the camera out to clarify some of step 2. (Although pictures are tough due to the location).

Instead of using any ignition hot wire, I found the power source for the parking lights. With this procedure the fog lights work whenever the parking lights are on. This means my fog lights work when I just have the parking lights on, when the lo beams are on, when the hi beams are on, or (so you don't get surprised) when your lights flash to lock or unlock the doors via remote.

Pre-Step 1:Disconnect battery, set parking brake, safety stuff.......

Step 1:
Do from above (the link is the best description). This creates a constant ground for the fog light switch and bypasses the ECU.

Step 2:
Remove lower dash panel, drivers side HVAC duct and loosen the fuse junction box located under the dash (the fuse box you see when you remove the fuse panel cover on lower dash panel). I did not take pictures of this as they are available and relatively straight forward (and I forgot to take them).

Step 3:
With the fuse box hanging down look on the back side of the junction box for plug J1 from the picture below. On that plug on the lower left is pin 10 it will be green with a white stripe. Cut the green and white wire as far from the box as possible. Tape off the end that goes into the wiring harness. The end that goes to the junction box will be used in step 4.

FogLight Mod.PNG
Junction Box.PNG

Step 4:
Locate plug 1K right below plug 1J, see above. On 1K, pin location 8 is the power from the parking light circuit, it should be a solid green wire (see below). Take a splicing connector (or any connector you choose) and splice the green and white wire from 1J plug (not the end going back into the wiring harness) to the green wire coming out of pin 8 on 1K.

Foglightsplice.PNG

Step 5+:
Test, Reassemble, Undo Safety Stuff, Enjoy

Just to clarify this was performed on an 05 DC with DRL.

I hope the pictures help with this project. Let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone:
My 2006 Tundra SR 5 have not DRL, unless I turn the combo SW, lights will go off after open the driver side door one's the ignition was turn off. I had never considered that as a DRL's. Am I right ? ...... I had followed both fog-lights mod, with and without DRL's, and none of them seems to have the same fuse panel that is on my truck. DO you guys think I should go and look for the wire by the colors described in this thread ? No matter the location on connectors and / or wires ? I need to make the fogs independent from head lights, same as you. I will appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did this in my 2005 Double Cab 4x4 Limited with DRL (daytime running lights) following the bits and pieces of this thread and others on the forum. It does work as described!

I want to add a piece I did which I think makes this easier. Instead of using the wiper motor pin or parking light pin for power, I used the cig light pin. Why? It's super close to PIN 10 in block 1J (the one you're cutting) and anytime the key is in the ACC position, I have fog lights if I want. Turn the key to OFF, fogs turn off. Pull the key out and close the door, fogs are off. So, I made mine completely independent of any other function, as long as the key is in the ACC or ON position, I have my fogs.

I used PIN 1 in block 1C (blue top connector). It's a big, solid green wire. You can see it in Wakeriley's picture (Thanks for your pics BTW - they were helpful!). I learned what PIN 1, block 1C was by reading this wiring diagram. Scroll down to pages 141 and on 143, you can see 15A Cig PIN 1, Block 1C: https://www.mugga.net/Manuals/Tundra/EWD.pdf

I also unplugged my DRLs and installed a back up camera, all at the same time. They were fun projects and this forum has been very helpful!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi ,

I have read through the above very detailed , Today I went to go do the Fog light MOD and was successful with the first step in short order , But when it came to the fuse box portion I fell off .......

I removed the lower Drivers dash panel , the E-brake cable and had it to the side . I removed the big U shape HVAC duct , Then that's when i ran into difficulties

The bottom fuse box 10mm hex was easy to get to , but the top 10mm hex nut holding the fuse box up still could not be accessed without removing a smaller HVAC register duct feed tube ?

the tube feed was held in by a 8mm hex screw . I then removed the screw & smaller duct by some force , just a little .

The Fuse / relay box itself will NOT lower down with both fasteners removed ? Is there a trick to accessing the back side wires as described in step #2 ?

I know this is a older thread but any help or input is great-full !

thanks

matt

2005 TUNDRA DC Limited 4.7 WITH DRL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the link in this tread correct ? It takes me to a bumper thread. I have a 2006 DC Limited 4x4 and am thinking about doing this Mod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts