Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 AC w/ DRL:

so far i've cut the wire from the switch and spliced it into switched power and it still works as it did before.

i guess i get to search for the freakin green/white wire the goes to the relay and ground it?

the only green/white wire i found near the fuse panel so far is a pretty thick gauge. i highly doubt this is the one.

is there a better way to go about this?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
One of the prongs on the relay needs a switched power source. Right now, it gets the switched power from the headlights being on. You can splice a wire from the dash that has "acc" power when the key is turned as the switched power. Then you should be fine.

I do believe you need to ground another wire for the fog switch to work. It's been so long since I've done it, I dont really recall.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
i was told to ground a grn/wht wire coming from the relay.

what a b!tch though.
I'm not sure since it has DRL's.

I can tell you though that I have a wire running from the relay under the hood into the cab of my truck, and that's spliced with a wire that gets power when the key goes to ACC. This gives that relay "switched" power. The fogs receive their own 12VDC power already.

Then I used a test light to help determine what wires do what with the switch on the blinker stalk. I think it was two wires I had to modify. I blew a few fuses trying to do it though. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heh, on my way home i realized once the headlights are on, then shut back off, the fogs stay on.

when i shut the truck off, they turn off.

i can live with that.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
heh, on my way home i realized once the headlights are on, then shut back off, the fogs stay on.

when i shut the truck off, they turn off.

i can live with that.
So the fogs are now like a daytime running light? Not bad but I'd still like control over them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no.

i have control of them via the headlights. it's weird.

they work like factory, BUT... i can turn the stalk back to parking lights, then the fogs stay on. and i can flip them on/off then. it's like the relay has already been grounded for that ignition cycle only. because when i turn the truck off, i have to do the same thing again.

come over to my house, i'll show you. it's pretty funny. :)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I'm def confused. :confused: :D

Whatever makes ya happy though! :tu:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
o.k....

i get in my truck.

i turn it on.

i flip the headlights on w/ fogs.

i turn the headlight switch back 1 click to the parking light postion.

fogs remain on.

turn truck off.

everything goes off like it should.

turn truck back on.

repeat procedure.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I kinda get where you're coming from. Now basically the relay's switched power comes from the parking light wire instead of an ACC wire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually now that you're confused, and no one else is chiming in anyway...

i think a few ignition cycles and disconnecting the battery to get to the DRL plug sealed the deal.

i can now control the fogs no matter what, except high beams.

wierd. whatever. i win.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Still doesnt sound right. With mine, I am able to turn them on and off whenever I want, so long as the key is in the ignition. As soon as you turn the truck off, lights go out.

I can have them on with no lights, parking lights, and highbeams. Very odd that yours still cuts out when the high beams go on. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very odd that yours still cuts out when the high beams go on. :confused:
In some states it is illegal to drive with fog lights and high beams on simultaneously. I am not an expert, but I would guess that the fog lights power supply is coming from a 'b' contact in the relay for the high beams somewhere that makes it so you can't have them on simultaneoulsy.

I am an electrical engineer and this is just a guess as to how I would have done it if I were designing the system to be 'idiot proof'.

"Build me a system that is idiot proof, and I'll build you a better idiot." :)

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I wired mine so I have complete control of them. If the key is in the ignition, they work when I want them to. No lights, parking lights, low beams/high beams.

You are correct about the high beam fog cut out though. That's the way it's designed from the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I am looking to invest in some fog lights would it be better to just run my own relay and switch or buy the factory fog lamp stalk and factory relay?
I do not have DRL. I prefer a factory job but It is my understanding that if I do that then I have to perform this mod to get complete control of the fog lights. It almost seems easier to just run the wire and relay myself.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If I am looking to invest in some fog lights would it be better to just run my own relay and switch or buy the factory fog lamp stalk and factory relay?
I do not have DRL. I prefer a factory job but It is my understanding that if I do that then I have to perform this mod to get complete control of the fog lights. It almost seems easier to just run the wire and relay myself.
You can add your own lights & use a factory switch in the dash. The part number has been posted several times here. The switch isn't cheap...$30 or so, IIRC.

If mine hadn't come with the lights, that's what I would've done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts