Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fog lights not working after headlight and DRL/Signal LED install & No pitch control

NEED HELP!

Truck: 2015 Toyota Tundra SR5
Only add-ons- Switching out standard halogen bulbs for LEDs on headlight and DRL/Signal lights. Nothing else has ever been touched (unless you count the bed cover).

I recently (yesterday) switched out my headlight bulb and my DRL/signal light with Putco LED replacements. The only extra thing I did was put a 20A fuse where the 15A fuse was for the DRLs. My understanding from the modders is that this is not a big deal. The wiring is more than capable of handling that kind of draw and the LED lights only need that type of draw on initial start up.

All other lights are working just fine, including backup lights, brakes, turn signals (including the LED ones), dome, bed light and etc. The LED DRL/Signal lights have load resistors on them to insure proper blinking speed. The headlights only have the Putco relays wired into them. No load resistors were put in the headlights.

Up til now, I have checked all fuses under the hood and in the cabin. I can't find a single blown fuse or a bad relay. Apparently, the dealership said that fog lights not turning on is a common issue when replacing headlights with LEDs. Their only suggestion was to take out the new lights and reinstall old ones, which for the 2014+ Tundra owners is a pain in the butt. Also, this defeats the purpose of getting brighter lights on the truck...

The dealership has also mentioned that the headlights are wired to the fog lights somehow. My limited understanding leads me to believe that the headlamps must read a certain draw of power before the fog light relay will kick in, and the LEDs just aren't drawing enough power. This reasoning comes from the fact that your fog lights will not function without your low beams on. They will also cut off when your high beams are on.

Have any of you guys run into this problem with fog lights after installation of LED headlights/DRL/Signal lights? Also, is there a quick fix I'm missing? Do I need load resistors on the LED headlights as well or do they just control blinking problems with signal lights?

Just FYI: I do want to do the anytime fog light mod to see if it'll solve the problem, but I'd rather not snip any wires or screw with wiring harnesses until I fully understand the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Re: Fog lights not working after headlight and DRL/Signal LED install & No pitch cont

When you uninstalled the mod and put it all back to stock, did the problem persist?

The headlights are "connected" to the fog lights in such a way that the fog lights are prevented from operating with high beams, which keeps the vehicle street legal.

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Fog lights not working after headlight and DRL/Signal LED install & No pitch cont

I have the same problem...did you get it fixed?

·
Registered
2 Posts

same thing happened to my 2002 sequoia, after installing led headlights. when I turn on the fog switch it turns on the high beam now, weird....

·
Registered
2 Posts

same thing happened to my 2002 sequoia, after installing led headlights. when I turn on the fog switch it turns on the high beam now, weird....

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the exact same problem with my 2001 Tundra, turning on the fog lights makes the headlight high beam come on, fog lights don't work..... Anyone find a solution yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Good Morning everyone! Anybody figured out a solution for this problem just yet? From whatever research I gathered, we might need to install a load resistor. I got a pair of these H4-RL650-H: H4 CONNECTION Kit from superbrightleds.com which are seemingly heavy duty having aluminum bodies that houses the resistors. Thing is, im not really sure if this is the right & permament fix for this particular problem due to how the lighting systems on the Tundra's OEM foglights are wired. Will post results.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Update:

Received the pair of LED Headlight resistors fast, cheap and easy and happy to report that "it solved the problem"! Credit is from a forum I came across tacomaworld.com and you only need one resistor but I ended up buying a pair anyways. Didn't realize that it can be for motorcycle applications too so you can just buy one. Installed on the chassis with a stainless steel screw with a locking washer so minimize loosening up due to vehicle vibration and making sure it has enough clearance to breath and not touch anything that's plastic or wire/electronics bundled and lined inside the hood. The resistor seems well made with heat insulation on the wires coming in and out of the body that's made of aluminum. Fog lights are now working properly along with the high beam indicator like it how it was before. Switch for the fog lights does not activate high beams anymore prior to installing resistors and hopefully this is a permanent fix.

This is the part needed again and you can just buy one unit under motorcyle applications: H4-RL650-H: H4 CONNECTION Kit found on superbrightleds.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts