Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 tundra about a month ago and can anyone PL tell me why when I push the Fog lights button they won't come on?I read the owners manual and it says to turn on the headlights to low beam and push the Foglight button to turn them on which I did and the only thing that happens is the headlight high beams comes on but not the Fog lights, can anyone tell me why this is happening or has this happened to anyone else?thx

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I have a 2003 and i turn a ring, not push a button on the lever that controls the lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2003 and i turn a ring, not push a button on the lever that controls the lights.
Really? Yeah mines an oblong (like a football)on the left side about half way up and it shows a pic of it in the owners manual, it's factory installed, I don't know if the previous owner altered it somehow but I don't know why they would,,,

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Really? Yeah mines an oblong (like a football)on the left side about half way up and it shows a pic of it in the owners manual, it's factory installed, I don't know if the previous owner altered it somehow but I don't know why they would,,,
Let me double check. I’ll go out to the garage and check right now... hang on LOL

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Here is a picture of mine

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a picture of mine
Yeah my headlight/turn signal switch is identical to yours but my fog lights is a push button right below my AC vent on the left side, I will try to take a pic of it tomorrow so you can see what I am talking about,thx

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have the correct button. There is a fuse and a relay in the fuse box on the left fender under the hood. Might check them before start digging deeper. The manual says to press the button and the fog lights should come on with low beams. They will go off when you switch on to high beam. I believe that it may even be a lighted button.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have the correct button. There is a fuse and a relay in the fuse box on the left fender under the hood. Might check them before start digging deeper. The manual says to press the button and the fog lights should come on with low beams. They will go off when you switch on to high beam. I believe that it may even be a lighted button.
You are correct that the button does light up but the only thing happens is the high beams come on when I press it,I never thought about it but but makes sense so will check the fuse and relay as you suggested and will let you know if that works,thx

·
Registered
22 Posts
What Remmy700P said. I believe that I either read or saw on this forum a discussion about by-passing the high beam "on" automatic fog lights "off" factory set-up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What Remmy700P said. I believe that I either read or saw on this forum a discussion about by-passing the high beam "on" automatic fog lights "off" factory set-up.
I don't understand why someone would want to bypass the hi beam lights through the fog lights button when the high beams have there own switch via the same switch as the low beam headlights, but thx for the info and hopefully I can get it back to the way it supposed to be, , ,

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The truck was wired from the factory so the fogs go off as soon as the high beams are turned on, regardless of what position the fog light switch is in. So what Remmy is saying is maybe the previous owner hacked up the wiring so they could have high beams and fogs on at the same time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand why someone would want to bypass the hi beam lights through the fog lights button when the high beams have there own switch via the same switch as the low beam headlights, but thx for the info and hopefully I can get it back to the way it supposed to be, , ,
The truck was wired from the factory so the fogs go off as soon as the high beams are turned on, regardless of what position the fog light switch is in. So what Remmy is saying is maybe the previous owner hacked up the wiring so they could have high beams and fogs on at the same time.
Oh,ok I guess I'll check the bulbs in the fog lights to see if they are blown as they won't come on regardless of whether the headlights are on/off high/low beams or by them selves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thi
I recently purchased a 2001 tundra about a month ago and can anyone PL tell me why when I push the Fog lights button they won't come on?I read the owners manual and it says to turn on the headlights to low beam and push the Foglight button to turn them on which I did and the only thing that happens is the headlight high beams comes on but not the Fog lights, can anyone tell me why this is happening or has this happened to anyone else?thx
nk James is right - fog control is an independently rotating ring on the lights stalk. I think that oblong on the dash below controls your rear window slider. Good luck, Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have LED headlights installed that’s your problem. To solve it you will need to purchase the following and install it just in the passenger side headlight of the vehicle...

It’s a H4- Load resistor
Part Number: H4-RL650-M

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, I did put led headlight bulbs in but I think they have resistors because they have like a rectangle box built-in,I'm going to put the halogen bulbs back in and see if the fog lights come on, I recently purchased it and I would have swore the fog lights came on when I was checking everything out,thx for the info I would have never guessed that LED headlights would cause that to happen,if I install LEDs in the fog lights would I still need to get a load resistor for the passenger side headlight?thx again, ,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I did put led headlight bulbs in but I think they have resistors because they have like a rectangle box built-in,I'm going to put the halogen bulbs back in and see if the fog lights come on, I recently purchased it and I would have swore the fog lights came on when I was checking everything out,thx for the info I would have never guessed that LED headlights would cause that to happen,if I install LEDs in the fog lights would I still need to get a load resistor for the passenger side headlight?thx again, ,
Don’t bother putting your halogens back in, it’s definitely the issue. Just but that $10 part and save yourself a headache.... whatever load resistors your lights LEDs have don’t work you need that part. Just installing LEDs in fogs won’t fix it either... trust me been there done that. This is your only remedy to get them working... oh and do put in LEDs in the fogs it looks nicer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts