Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 dc
Im trying to add foot well LEDs.

The leds would be controlled by the oem dome light rocker switch located on dash panel.
Ive been searching the internet about subject, but cant find anything using the oem rocker switch.
I looked at the rocker switch and checked continuity on pins. There r total of 5 pins. (spdt ?)

pin 1: Blue wire, 12v constant
pin 2: White/blk stripe, ground
pin 3: Green, switched voltage, 12v-0v (door open, 0v) (door closed, 12v)

pin 4: White, ground for switch illumination
pin 5: Pink, positive for switch illumination

Switch operation, via continuity tests..... switch in
OFF position . . . . no pins connected
DOOR position . . . pins 2 and 3 (blue and green wire)
ON position . . . . pins 1 and 2 (blue and wht/blk wire)

Ive tried all possible combination of connections with no luck.........
The only thing i can think of is adding a relay to the circuit.

I know that the door switches are "ground triggers"

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Simple. Just tap into your blue "Door Position" wire with the LED hot, then ground your other LED wire.

This should turn your LED's on when you are in Door Position and open any door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G Tek, where is the blue Door Position wire located ? Ive been tracing alot of wires under the dash and if u know the location of the blue wire i think i can find and test if is the correct one..... will this mod allow me to use the oem dome switch to manually turn on footwell lights along with dome lights? thankx

scheidermj, ive already bought some led strips and mounted in footwells. . . If i would have known about the VLEDS plug and play option, i would have got that instead of spending hours trying to locate wires . . .

BTW, do any of u know if the DRL and turn signals are in the same relay/flasher unit?
since messing around with the wiring, the DRLs and turn signals are not working....... hazards work . . . .

·
Registered
799 Posts
He's probably talking about the switch you are looking at but that won't work cause as soon as you flip the switch, the blue loses power.
I tried to figure out the same thing but the wiring is so wacky when you flip the switch to different postions. I gave up and just wired them to the footwell light. Actually mine were outside courtesy lights under the frame so I didn't care about a switch. The minute I open the door they come on. I think your would be better off with a double throw switch to wire them if you need a switch.

Or you could run a wire from the domelight through the headliner and down the side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, i gave up wiring directly to the oem switch. too many taps on too many wires is not good.... I tried the courtesy light on my first attempt, it worked, but i want to "control" the light :) Anyways, ended up tapping the dome light and wire down the pillar, door sill, to dash, it worked.

The dome light has 3 wires, Grey= constant 12v, Pink= switched 12v-0v, and White/blk stripe= ground..............................
So i connected the Grey to +positive LED lead, Pink to -negative LED lead.

Thats it. The scary thing was, after i wired the lights, I started the truck and watched my battery guaged go from 12v to 8v and truck almost shut down. I turn off truck, try to restart, dead, just the clicking noise of the starter. Hookup the battery charger, waited, started the truck. while the truck is running, take off battery charger, and watch the trucks battery (voltage) guage, 12v to 8v, again...... recheck all my wires, take off all unused taps, check fuses, take apart the engine compartment fuse/relay box, charge the battery, and .......................... truck starts, voltage holding steady, turn on headlights/ high beams, ac, radio, interior lights, and cargo lights, NO more drain of the battery, voltage holding steady !!!!!!! dont know wat the problem was, but i hope the gremlin does not come back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts