Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering were the plug in for the usb is?from what i can see its some where besides the front of the radio.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I am wondering, what you can do with it? How it is different from using AUX? How it can be used to modify headunit?

Edit:
Another thought: can it be added to 07 head unit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The USB port is right above the AUX input. It's under that little cover that says AUX. It's great for plugging in an iPod or even a USB memory stick with music on it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I am wondering, what you can do with it? How it is different from using AUX? How it can be used to modify headunit?

Edit:
Another thought: can it be added to 07 head unit?
Don't know how a 2010 operates, but, generally the USB plug not only plays an IPOD, but it powers / charges it at the same time. The Aux port usually only plays the IPOD, via the IPOD battery.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
..One of my favorite features on my 2010. The ipod is controlled from the head unit and steering wheel controls -USB Charging = never disconnect except to change/add songs playlists. Havent tried the thumb drive yet.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Like Petro said above, the usb port is just like plugging your ipod in to your computer. Once you plug ipod in turn radio on and hit aux button on radio. I have to hit mine twice because the first thing that comes up states "Streaming audio" which sometimes I allow to just let it play through the blue tooth feature, but you do not get control over the Ipod as u do when using the usb port. Usb port will allow listing of songs on the radio face and allows you to go through the different folders on your ipod without touching it. You can actually just stick you ipod down in the large storage bin and just run your usb up and plug it in. Out of site out of mind....... hopefully. The bluetooth "streaming audio" sounds just about as good and maybe just the same as plugging in your ipod to the dash.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Have any of you got an "Error 5" message when running your Ipod through the USB connection? Mine will play a little while and as long as i leave it alone it does fine. Once i press list on radio and it brings up artist or song list it will go to error 5 after switching songs a few times??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is the usb port something that can be added on later? I ave a 2010 but no usb port. Im wondering if it would be as simple as removing the radio head unit, plugging one into the back, and running the wire myself.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Is the usb port something that can be added on later? I ave a 2010 but no usb port. Im wondering if it would be as simple as removing the radio head unit, plugging one into the back, and running the wire myself.
Doubt it highly. HU are most likely different.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Doubt it highly. HU are most likely different.
yeah, i doubt that seriously.

however, you could buy the head unit that does have the USB port when someone sells it because they upgrade their stereo... because odds are the truck is wired for the HU that has it, even if the truck didn't come with it.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
yeah, i doubt that seriously.

however, you could buy the head unit that does have the USB port when someone sells it because they upgrade their stereo... because odds are the truck is wired for the HU that has it, even if the truck didn't come with it.
The stock system is so bad that it would be silly to basically buy the same unit just with USB. After market is best bet. A 7" NAV/DVD looks best in there, plus you can use it for your back up cam.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
zeeya,
Yes, get that message once in awhile. -I unplug at the usb and plug it back in.

-Got my flash drive to work good; have to make sure the files are mp3 not m4p. I have a lot of converting to do-IPOD was stolen rith out of the truck the other day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts