Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! Looking to be a new owner here and just wanted a general thumbs up or not on this Sequoia I am looking at purchasing this week..
It has 250K on the dash. 4WD.
engine light is on
Timing belt, water pump and all that was done at 210K mile mark.
Broken back trunk.. Latch wont open but window works. no rust concerns. all stock.
Tires and aftermarket wheels are almost new.

Basically my biggest question is do you think I would get like 1 - 1.5 years of use out of this without dumping a ton of money in it.. I know they are reputable I have just never owned or ridden in one for that matter. Any weird tips to look for on test drive? I will watch youtube videos and as well. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,339 Posts
I'm going to yes if it passed the smell test, and a thorough inspection.

I purchase an '07 for $5k almost 4 years ago when it had 270,000 undocumented miles on it, it passed my thorough inspection and my smell test. It will soon have 300,000 miles on it... I would not hesitate to take it on a long road trip today.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
132 Posts
I purchased mine at 250k miles with a stuck rear hatch for $3700. A $40 Amazon rear latch and an hour of my time fixed the rear door problem. I went through and changed all the fluids after I bought it. Tires, brakes, battery. Three years later, truck now has 320+k miles still runs fine. Biggest expense for me was a new steering rack and front CV axles. Everything else are the same parts that were there 3 years ago. Except for the original alternator. That went at 310K.

I would test the 4x4 system and see if it engages smoothly. If not, you may have to change out some fluids underneath. It's a 20 year old truck, stuff starts to age out like hoses and seals. On mine, valve cover gaskets, fuel tank cap, power steering hoses and radiator hoses have been done. I personally put a back-up camera on mine and upgraded the head unit so it feels less out-of-date.

Mine's an '02, the "bad" year, and nothing catastrophic has broken and has never left me stranded. I don't have any second thought about taking it on long drives. Recently drove 500 miles to the Center of the US in one day.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm not sure where you are but $7500 sounds high. Is that an 05 or newer truck? That may demand the higher price. They have a bit of a power bump and a 5-speed transmission. Three years ago I bought a 2003 limited 4wd with around 330k on it for $5,000. We're coming up on 400k now. I have probably put $1500 in it over the years, but that does include things like battery, brakes, shocks, plugs, coils, etc. Things that you might have to do on any vehicle. If the truck is generally in solid condition, I think you should be able to expect 1-1.5 years of use. The engine light is probably for the evap solenoid. Mine is on constantly but my specific county doesn't require emissions testing, so I have just left it alone. I check it from time to time to make sure there aren't any new codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to yes if it passed the smell test, and a thorough inspection.

I purchase an '07 for $5k almost 4 years ago when it had 270,000 undocumented miles on it, it passed my thorough inspection and my smell test. It will soon have 300,000 miles on it... I would not hesitate to take it on a long road trip today.
Seems to be about the same situation I am in! thanks for insight!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure where you are but $7500 sounds high. Is that an 05 or newer truck? That may demand the higher price. They have a bit of a power bump and a 5-speed transmission. Three years ago I bought a 2003 limited 4wd with around 330k on it for $5,000. We're coming up on 400k now. I have probably put $1500 in it over the years, but that does include things like battery, brakes, shocks, plugs, coils, etc. Things that you might have to do on any vehicle. If the truck is generally in solid condition, I think you should be able to expect 1-1.5 years of use. The engine light is probably for the evap solenoid. Mine is on constantly but my specific county doesn't require emissions testing, so I have just left it alone. I check it from time to time to make sure there aren't any new codes.
Hey in colorado here. This is for a 2004 Sequoia. The prices I see vary from like 4500-8500 depending on condition. this is pretty dang clean with some records, newer tires and brakes and rotors, and spare OEM set. and then obviously the timing belt was done. and the seller seems legit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: closing price is $6500 :) I think i am going to bite. And was not aware of the speed in the newer ones. hmm

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
488 Posts
I bought my 05 4WD Limited with 232K miles on it for $8k in 2016. It's got 310K on it now, and still going strong. I had to replace the steering rack, timing belt/water pump and do all fluid changes. Radiator had a leak. Rear hatch handle broke. As with any high-mileage vehicle, you will have to deal with worn out parts. If you are expecting to spend <$100 in maintenance or repairs over the next 18 months, I don't think you'll get that on any vehicle whose warranty has expired.

Reactions: SilverSasquatch

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone! Looking to be a new owner here and just wanted a general thumbs up or not on this Sequoia I am looking at purchasing this week..
It has 250K on the dash. 4WD.
engine light is on
Timing belt, water pump and all that was done at 210K mile mark.
Broken back trunk.. Latch wont open but window works. no rust concerns. all stock.
Tires and aftermarket wheels are almost new.

Basically my biggest question is do you think I would get like 1 - 1.5 years of use out of this without dumping a ton of money in it.. I know they are reputable I have just never owned or ridden in one for that matter. Any weird tips to look for on test drive? I will watch youtube videos and as well. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
View attachment 155019
I have 465,000 on my 01 Sequoia Limited. It runs amazing still. I've had it since 2002. Some here in CO rear-ended it and it still runs better than the new 03 I just bought with 146,000 miles on it. It's a Toyota you should another several years out it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts