Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just my opinion. I was contemplating upgrading my wheels and tires to 20" and was considering getting a set that I didn't have to swap the sensors or even research getting a set that would accommodate them. However I am sold on them and will make sure I have them forever. So here's my story.

I typically travel the Florida’s Turnpike a 100 miles day in which the average speed traffic is going is 80+ mph.On my way home last night I see a young girl on the side of the road with the Road Ranger guy changing her tire. I go another mile and I see another person off the side of the road looking at his flat tire. I start thinking to my self hey I'm glad that’s not me when I see another person on the side of the road. So I then look down and see my tire pressure light on and say this must be some sort of coincidence. I then start thinking I got to get off the turnpike because I do not want to be changing a tire while semis and cars go whizzing by at 80 mph.I pull off and pull into a shopping center and get out and start looking for the tire that is going down.I look at the drivers side rear and it is about 1/2 flat and in a matter of minutes totally flat.

Moral of the story if I had not had those sensors I would have not known I was losing air and had been one of those people on the side of the road with a shredded tire or even worse trying to change a tire on the side of the road. For those who don't know South Florida being on the shoulder of any expressway is committing suicide. Just ask the troopers that escape near death when their cars get rear ended and they have LED flashing lights on!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently traveled from Texas to Florida for Spring Break, and was amazed at how many folks were pulled over with flats in Florida. Many more than I saw on other parts of the trip...mind you , population density/traffic density was higher on the turnpike, etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently traveled from Texas to Florida for Spring Break, and was amazed at how many folks were pulled over with flats in Florida. Many more than I saw on other parts of the trip...mind you , population density/traffic density was higher on the turnpike, etc.
You should see I-95.The problem there is no vehicle inspections here as well as a total lack of DOT and FHP troopers on the highway.The ones you see on the turnpike are at the travel plazas sipping big gulps at Nathans or coffee at Starbucks.That is if they are not sitting in the patrol cars on the Plaza exit ramps surfing the internet on the wireless laptops.
There are a total lack of responcibilty of the drivers who do not secure their loads,gravel trucks who don't give a crap and junk lawn and constuction trucks that are on highway. I just read this mornings newspaper where in central Florida a semi truck tire flew off and killed the person in the on coming lane.
So if you want to drive faster than 85mph and have the cops pass you all while swerving around the ladder that fell off the truck two days ago come on down and if your in a Tundra I'll stop and help ya out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As much as I dread having to replace the TPSMs one day, I know they're worth it. Luckily, I haven't had any problems with my tires, but I know there will be a day... and just maybe the TPSMs will help.

·
Registered
506 Posts
it is amazing how often that seems to happen around here. Seems like every few weeks I see multiple cars/trucks all pulled over with flats all at the same time. I would love to know what they are all running over.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
What gave you and all of them a flat? Truck load of nails dumped?? I saw this before but it just rained and the biggest pothole I have ever seen was eating tires and rims and there were about 5-6 cars pulled over. Luckily I had a off road truck and it was used to hitting large objects. (large tires with plenty of sidewall and very tough sidewalls)

·
Registered
183 Posts
What's to keep a terrorist/vandalism nutcase from throwing boxes of nails out the window of a speeding vehicle every few miles on Florida's turnpikes?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my particular case it was a hole in the sidewall just in the "lug" of the tire tread.I'm sure it had to been a nail.

For explaining the source of the problem you must come to South Florida and see for yourself.Just a brief description of what is seen on our highways down here are gravel trucks with gravel and sand stacked up on the axles and tailgates and when they hit a bump guess what happens,Lawn maintenance trucks with landscaping debris stacked so high that you can barely see the truck,Roofing trucks with the tar wagons dripping tar from the gate valves,(this is probably the same truck that had the nails fall off) pool maintenance pick ups with chlorine dripping from the bed,matterases that flew off someones car as they were travelling down the road trying to keep it in place with just their hands.The list goes on and on.All this while doing 80 mph.

The bottom line is that there is NO enforcement from the DOT or Police for this nonsence.It is only enforced for a couple of days after the news people get ahold of a story where some poor soul as been impaled by a metal object that fell of off someones vehicle.There was a story a few months ago where there was a 16 year old girl who got impaled by a 3' rod in which the mom called on a cell phone to inform authorities so EMT could be dispatched.Her whereabouts could not be pinpointed which prompted a change in our 911 system to allow authorities to locate cell phone calls when 911 is called.

The other members down here can chime in and tell their experiences they have had.

What needs to happen is a stepped up enforcement and get these people off the road.The main job of our troopers down here are to show up at accidents and write reports on what happened.I was once told by FHP after calling them to report this was there was not much they could do as at times they only had 2 troopers to cover the entire Palm Beach County area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts