Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes fuel quality can have an affect on how well engines run, although 87 0ctane is noted in the owners manuel, you might try going to a higher octane( that means running it through the system, until the ecu senses it) it's worth a try.

·
Registered
549 Posts
sometimes fuel quality can have an affect on how well engines run, although 87 0ctane is noted in the owners manuel, you might try going to a higher octane( that means running it through the system, until the ecu senses it) it's worth a try.
Funny you say that...because I have run 89 Octane in my 07' since the day I bought it and have not had any "knock" issues. So, is there a correlation?? Maybe, but I am happy with the performance of my truck with the 89 and have even thought about switching to 91...but, I am sure it would be a waste of money (I dont know alot about detonation and retarding).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Maybe if enough people respond, we will see.
I run 89 in mine and don't have the knock.
Do you think that maybe this is a case of Toyota stating that 87 Octane is ok, but 89-91 Octane is "recommended" like they have with other vehicles? I havent had a chance to research my owners manual to see if it states that a higher Octane is recommended. Probably not, but correct me if I am wrong in thinking that most Toyota vehicles do "recommend" higher octanes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Do you think that maybe this is a case of Toyota stating that 87 Octane is ok, but 89-91 Octane is "recommended" like they have with other vehicles?
No, I just looked, the manual says 87. It says if you detect heavy knocking even when using the recommended fuel or steady knocking at steady speed, consult your dealer. But it says that occasionally, light knocking for short times while accelerating or going up hills is normal.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it states 87 or higher octane. they are installing my leather today, will get it back tommorrow, i am driving a doublecab 5.7 trd, i can tell that regular is used in this truck, it does not respond as well as mines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I know the dealer put the cheap stuff in mine, but I did not notice any knocking on start-up. I only use supreme in all my new vehicles I've done that since '95. If you've got the "ping" try 2 tankfuls of Amoco/BP supreme and see if it goes away. I don't ever drive my new vehicles everyday, Ive got a '93 Honda accord SE that I use as a daily driver and put the cheapest gas I can find in it, and change the oil like when I think it's black enough! come to think of it I may still get over 400k miles on it without proper maintenance!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My brother and i have run only mid-grade or plus (89) since we got our trucks. No knocking or pinging whatsoever.

Oh, we also use only TOP-TIER gasoline & that is Shell or Chevron here.

Toyota recomends only top tier.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Ive got 1600 miles on my 5.7 and have only run 87 octane. I have never gotten a ping or slap. Its very very quiet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
im very curious to hear more about this knock and piston slap that is happening. can someone lead me to the right information so i can informed about it. i work at the texas plant and ill like to know about this issue so i can address the correct departments about this. thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Last night I searched till page 21 as a visitor looking for anyone else with this issue. Well I had an 03Tundra I just traded in on an 07 and remembered my password and log in from then. I just filled up my first tank since I bought new and noticed the first day and a half a slight knock. It seems to have gone away but I know the dealer put 87 in as well. If I have to put 89 in I will, but gas is $2.80 in Orlando now for 87 and not looking to spend any more money then I have to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have 2750 on my ODO as of right now with a 1350 mile trek from Minnesota to Utah under my belt, and I have only filled up with 91 octane from either Shell back home or Chevron when I am here in Utah, and I have no knocking at all, fires right up and runs like a champ first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My brother and i have run only mid-grade or plus (89) since we got our trucks. No knocking or pinging whatsoever.

Oh, we also use only TOP-TIER gasoline & that is Shell or Chevron here.

Toyota recomends only top tier.
Where can I find a list of Top-Tier gas stations?? I live in southern Ohio and do believe that there are some Chevron stations and Shell stations, but have never used them. Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Only 1100 miles and only 87 has been used. No knock or ping noticed. But I did sell a 350 diesel in the morning before getting the 5.7 late in the afternoon. My hearing may not have recovered from the 6.0 noise!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Where can I find a list of Top-Tier gas stations?? I live in southern Ohio and do believe that there are some Chevron stations and Shell stations, but have never used them. Thanks
Try looking here:

Top Tier Gasoline

1 - 20 of 40 Posts