Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about two years, but one doesn't seem too bad. This is the narrative portion of my Blackstone report.

KEVIN: Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 6000 miles on the
oil. You're running about 5000 miles a year and so far you've been changing your oil on a yearly basis. But
we have good news: wear looks great and the engine has no problems that we can see. The oil is still in
good shape, so you should be able to go 18 months before your next oil change. You may even be able to
stretch that to two years, unless you're not comfortable with that. The TBN read strong at 5.2, and no
contaminants were present. Great engine, nice oil.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Thanks Kevin. You might want to delete that first attachment and resubmit after redacting personal info.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. That just dawned on me. How the heck do you do that? This pdf stuff really cranks up my blood pressure.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
See if you can delete just the attachment. Then redact your original and re-attach by editing your first post. You could also just put it in a follow-up post. If you can't redact the sheet via Adobe then just mark through it with black and re-scan.

If all else fails, DELETE your first message and start over.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Kevin You are toast. I'm coming by your house tonight with an axe.
P.S. you might wanna remove PDF file - there are all kind of people on here.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I did it for you. How is this REDACTED one Kevin? If it works, just delete your initial one.

edit: situation normal, Gators lending helping hand to Crimson Tide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Removed. I thought that all of the personal stuff had been removed, but since I don't have the full and expensive version of Adobe, it won't save the changes. I just did a little "cut and paste" of the Blackstone narrative. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Everyone should just keep calling him and telling him what an awesome
oil test result he had :D. Just kidding. Very nice report by the way.

I know a guy who owns a Tacoma who still changes his oil every three
months, regardless of mileage, which is usually pretty low. I told him
that A) He's crazy, and that B) He should have a test done by Blackstone
so that he can get a better idea of how long he can go between changes.

John

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
How does that work. You get a free kit from them and mail a sample back with payment? Can we charge it Kevin's account:D

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. They send a free sample and you send it back with payment. Maybe if a couple of hundred TS members use my account, I can claim identity theft, file bankruptcy, and bail out on all of my creditors. Now you have me thinking and that has proven to be a problem in the past!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Driving style and location varies. Up north, I'd expect more sludge causing moisture issues along with fuel dilution. We have 4-seasons up north.

I change the oil in my parent's car once a year when I visit them. The vehicle is always garaged and it never gets cold in Florida. No issues with fuel dilution or moisture because of their climate. The weather there is either too hot, hot, or not hot enough. And, since they live in the middle of nowhere, every time they start the vehicle the trip will be an hour(usually 1-way).

The 4.7L is notoriously easy on oil. Once a year oil change <10k, with a quality synth, shouldn't be a problem for a normal driving style.

You can compare your UOA to others are there are plenty of Toyota UOAs at bobistheoilguy forum.

One of the problems with extended oil change intervals is the dipstick. So many forget to use it. Keep your oil topped off always!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts