Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 4x4 Tundra. What retainers and cushions go under sub strut assy. and what goes on top? How many cushions per side? Retainers are curved so what curves up / what curves down? Putting on new stock HD Bilsteins after taking off 2.5 leveling kit.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Are we talking about the rear shocks here? If I remember right, there was a washer on top of a bushing that I put on with the open end of the washer facing down. Under neath the frame I believe there was a bushing touching the frame and then the other cup-like washer with the open end facing up. I'm not too sure, my memory is fuzzy and there's no telling if mine are installed right to begin with. I'll stop being lazy and go check what I did later, and edit this if I did it different.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good afternoon, I assume the torque spec's listed above apply to the 2000 Limited model as well? If I am reading it correctly the rear shock top nut is 15 ft/lbs and the lower bolt is 64 ft/lbs. On the front shock the lower mounting bolt is 100 ft/lbs, the 3 upper mounting nuts are 47 ft/lbs and the center nut is 18 ft/lbs?

I am looking at doing this job myself and finding this was a miracle!!

Please let me know if my torque figures are correct and thank you!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Good afternoon, I assume the torque spec's listed above apply to the 2000 Limited model as well? If I am reading it correctly the rear shock top nut is 15 ft/lbs and the lower bolt is 64 ft/lbs. On the front shock the lower mounting bolt is 100 ft/lbs, the 3 upper mounting nuts are 47 ft/lbs and the center nut is 18 ft/lbs?

I am looking at doing this job myself and finding this was a miracle!!

Please let me know if my torque figures are correct and thank you!!

Mike
You have the numbers correct.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have read that some people have a hard time aligning the bottom strut bolt during re-installation. With a helper couldn't one person push up and compress the shock to align it with the bottom mount while the other person is ready to insert the bolt? I just tried one of my new Bilstein 4600's they are stiff but not too stiff to compress by hand.

I know I have to install the lower spring seat onto the shock properly but does it matter which direction it is rotated??

thank you for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
I have read that some people have a hard time aligning the bottom strut bolt during re-installation. With a helper couldn't one person push up and compress the shock to align it with the bottom mount while the other person is ready to insert the bolt? I just tried one of my new Bilstein 4600's they are stiff but not too stiff to compress by hand.

I know I have to install the lower spring seat onto the shock properly but does it matter which direction it is rotated??

thank you for your help!!!
To make it easier, just unbolt the 4 bolts for the lower ball joint. This will make it easier for you to remove the lower bolt and reinstall it the same way you removed and make this whole process a one-man job. Some have had issues inserting the lower bolt the other way and some have not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know I'm wearing you out with questions but I appreciate your knowledge and your patience!

The top center nut that gets torqued to 18 Ft/lbs.....when does it get torqued? During reassembly before spring pressure is released? After spring pressure is released? The new 4600's don't have a great deal of thread length on that end of the shock. My assumption is that I run the nut all the way down the thread length and then tighten to 18 ft/lbs torque.

Also I am considering purchasing an OEM brand 25550 spring compressor to do that part of the job myself...any opinion on that tool?

PS My Black Limited just turned 200,000 yesterday and it runs like the day I bought it....Maintenance and Mobil 1 oil and filters!!

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Yes, gets tightened while spring is STILL compressed. Thats the nut that basically holds everything together and keeps the spring compressed after assembly, and before it goes in the truck.
When tightening it, you want the spring compressed enough so that all the bushings, washers, isolators and top plate are all flush, with no gaps. (No pressure on them from the spring). Just tighten the nut to the specc'ed torque at this point.

Good luck and be safe doing this yourself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you Stone_Blue,

I am installing Bilstein 4600's on my 2000 Limited. Does it matter which direction the black lower spring retainer is rotated on the front shock or will the proper positioning of the spring "end" at the top determine that?

Also I'm looking at the diagrams above and I don't see any replaceable rubber parts or bearings like I have seen in some strut replacement videos?

My brother and his son will be helping me so I won't be going it alone :)

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Good question on the spring and spring cup rotation. Most people dont seem to think, or know about that. There is a diagram in the Factory Service Manual that addresses that. I couldnt tell you the reasoning behind it, but I gotta figure if Toyota went thru the trouble to specify it in the manual, they must have had a reason.
The diagram is attached below.

Text Line Font Diagram Design

Generally, all the hardware and bushings that contact the new shock itself, are usually included with the new shock.
Be aware, that there is a pressed in bushing on the bottom of the top spring plate. DO NOT double stack bushings under the plate. EITHER use the existing one, OR if its dry rotted or torn, press/drill it out, and use a new one that came with the shock. And do the same for both sides. (ie if the bushing needs replacing on just one side, go ahead and do both sides anyways)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts