Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a 2000 AC Limited and really liked the truck, but needed more tow capacity and bought a Titan in 2004. Titan has been a good truck, but thinking about a new one. I was planning to wait until fall, but with 0% for 60 months I may do it now.

Went by the dealer last night and test drove a 5.7 DC Limited, and looked over a CM just to get a feel for the difference in backseat. They don't have a 4x4 Limited CM in stock, but can find me one. I want navigation and all the bells and whistles, but don't really want a sunroof. I've have one in the Titan and it's probably open 1 hour per year at most. Apparently you can't get a limited CM without a sunroof.

I'm leaning toward the DC, kids are grown and I rarely have anyone in the backseat anymore. On the occasional 2 hour drive to the bay towing the boat, I will have an adult back there but I think the DC will be big enough. I know it's purely a matter of oppinion, but I think the CM looks funny with that huge back door and short bed, although I thought similar about the Titan.

I do find it interesting that the Titan is pretty much dead in the middle of the DC and CM with regards to backseat space and bed length.

Couple questions for you guys.

What sort of deal should I be looking for given the hard times Toyota is going through? Right now their offering me about 3k off sticker, plus 0% for 60, plus 2 years free service through loyalty program.

Any use a Zune with the USB port?

I was kind of surprised none of the trucks had a spray in bedliner, does Toyota offer one?

Any issues with the 20" wheels? Do they ride as good as the smaller ones?

Any particular issues I should be aware of other than the throttle sticking problems?

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
274 Posts
good luck with your decisions. now seems to be a good time to buy the finance rates are as good as they have been for awhile from toyota. people are getting 0 and 1.9% with tier one, two, high tier 3 credit. so even with a newer job, lack of time having credit, etc people are getting some good rates. we opted for the dealer cash vs the rate and got the 3k off a 10' CM with a few options and a 4% rate. not bad. hell the guy next to me yesterday at the dealer was buying a tacoma and told the sales guy he had "ify" credit. were talked in the lounge and he got financed at 6%/60 months with a 640 score thru toyota finance so i guess they really want to move vehicles.

not sure on the usb port not familiar with the zune. if our truck gets to the dealer today i am taking my iphone, nano and a usb memory stick to try out the usb/aux ports and will let you know.

we wanted the spray in liner too. dealer basically said they get caught in the middle if the spray liner dealer does a crap job so they just option trucks with plastic liners. also said some dealers were getting robed due to price increase and they couldn't pass along the cost since people know what rhino, linex etc cost so the ones in my area don't do it. so our new CM comes with the plastic liner and will be fine for now. will check into dealers in a month or so.

we will upgrade wheels and tires so we specifically wanted a CM with steel wheels so i don't know about the new 20's. our 2007 tundra double cab 4x4 had the bbs 20s on it. ride quality didn't seem different vs other trucks we test drove in 07.

as for sticky pedal from what i have been told... will verify when we get the truck but with the build date on this one the dealer said it should have a complete new pedal assembly. they are going to check it for me today if it they can get it today, the dealer that has it is almost 200 miles away.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Good job, nice to have you (almost) back in the fold. 3k off with 0% is excellent. And there are no issues after the throttle fix and that one you ddrove already had it fixed. No idea about the zune but maybe you can get the dealer to pay for the liner!! Now that would be sweet.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I believe the Zune question has been asked before and you might be SOL on that preference.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
What sort of deal should I be looking for given the hard times Toyota is going through? Right now their offering me about 3k off sticker, plus 0% for 60, plus 2 years free service through loyalty program.

Discount sounds fair and money borrowed for free??? Sounds like that is about as good as it can get? At the very minimum, that is a fair deal in my opinion and if you like the truck and what it offers, I would take that kind of deal but that is just me. You might want to ask what their dealer fee is, if they have one because that could essentially negate some of that discount.

Good luck with your decision!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dude: Print out pricing for the truck you are interested - get it from Edmunds, KBB.com, etc. You should be able to get your truck for a couple hundred over dealer invoice (which is well below sticker) - and THEN the Toyota cash back or 0.0% kicks in, depending on your region.

So don't simply try to go 3K under sticker (MSRP) - the dealer will say "no problem" and then get you to that price by applying the cash back, while you miss out on some serious savings. Instead figure out invoice and figure out what the incentive from the manufacturer is in your region = there's your target price. Dealer will be reasonably happy to move a vehicle at this price.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Dude: Print out pricing for the truck you are interested - get it from Edmunds, KBB.com, etc. You should be able to get your truck for a couple hundred over dealer invoice (which is well below sticker) - and THEN the Toyota cash back or 0.0% kicks in, depending on your region.

So don't simply try to go 3K under sticker (MSRP) - the dealer will say "no problem" and then get you to that price by applying the cash back, while you miss out on some serious savings. Instead figure out invoice and figure out what the incentive from the manufacturer is in your region = there's your target price. Dealer will be reasonably happy to move a vehicle at this price.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^ And watch for "fees" like dealer prep which are 100% profit.

I seem to remember there being closer to $4K off on my SR5, think there'd be more on a Limited.

Now for totally un-asked for subjective opinion:

I added so much to my truck at a fraction of the factory cost (and many of it WAS factory stuff) Example was the homelink mirror and the back up camera through e-bay/sparks.

Nearly any aftermarket NAV is better than the Toy piece.

My un-biased opinion :D concerning crew or double cab is it's always easier to find storage space than passenger space..........CM FTMFW!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I have checked invoice and they're pretty close to that price. Destination charge was included in the price, they never mentioned any prep fees. I can work a fair deal with them or I'll just walk away, done it many times before and purchased elswhere. I just mainly want to know if others are getting screaming deals due to the bad press, I'd hate to buy at invoice and then find out most are getting them way under invoice like when gas was $4 a gallon.

I can carry the zune with me when I head back to the dealer and give it a try, I kind of expect USB won't work which I can live with as long as it works good through the Aux port.

How is the JBL system as far as sound quality? In the past I've usually upgraded factory stereos, but the Rockford-Fosgate in my Titan is very good.

One more, I noticed the truck had 4.30 gears in the rear. Seems very low for a truck with such small tires, how does it effect MPG? Titan has 3.53 and pulls like a champ and avgs 14.5 mpg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I owned a 2000 AC Limited and really liked the truck, but needed more tow capacity and bought a Titan in 2004. Titan has been a good truck, but thinking about a new one. I was planning to wait until fall, but with 0% for 60 months I may do it now.

Went by the dealer last night and test drove a 5.7 DC Limited, and looked over a CM just to get a feel for the difference in backseat. They don't have a 4x4 Limited CM in stock, but can find me one. I want navigation and all the bells and whistles, but don't really want a sunroof. I've have one in the Titan and it's probably open 1 hour per year at most. Apparently you can't get a limited CM without a sunroof.

I'm leaning toward the DC, kids are grown and I rarely have anyone in the backseat anymore. On the occasional 2 hour drive to the bay towing the boat, I will have an adult back there but I think the DC will be big enough. I know it's purely a matter of oppinion, but I think the CM looks funny with that huge back door and short bed, although I thought similar about the Titan.

I do find it interesting that the Titan is pretty much dead in the middle of the DC and CM with regards to backseat space and bed length.

Couple questions for you guys.

I was kind of surprised none of the trucks had a spray in bedliner, does Toyota offer one?

Any particular issues I should be aware of other than the throttle sticking problems?

Thanks

Jay

Went through something similar the past few months. My formerly race abused '02 Accord was in need of a new transmission and headgasket, and the '03 v8 4runner I'd borrow occasionally to tow wasn't enough.

After much searching for used, including the plan to bring in financing from my bank, I went with new and took the 0% 0 down on a new double cab; sold my Accord to a large national used car dealer for about $1250 more than what the dealer offered me for trade-in.

I thought long and hard about the CM vs the DC. Yes the CM is piiiimp and my region (Gulf States) only orders Towing Mirrors on CMs (ghey!), but I felt PLENTY fine with the back seat room of the double cab, and knew the foot shorter bed was going to hurt me when trying to carry tools and tires at the same time, especially when I'm getting a tonneau cover.

Furthermore in my region (Gulf States Toyota, GST), I could get $2k off the DC and $3k off the CM if I paid cash or brought in my own loan. Flat out I could not beat the DC $2k deal with my own financing, and would have to fight hard to beat the $3k CM deal with my own financing, but still pay about $1800 more for the CM.

Ultimately, I made a deal on the DC and took the 0% financing, which effectively is about 2.6% APR or so when factoring in the $2k I lost.

I opted for a Gulf States Toyota aftermarket 20" wheel, matches the offset and width of the Limited and TRD sport 20" wheel, just an aftermarket wheel they slap on Grade/SR5s to meet local demand. I've only really driven my truck 30 miles as I picked it up last night, but it felt fine. However I can't go by comparison since I've yet to drive a tundra with the standard 18" wheels.

As far as a deal, here in Houston I ended up paying 29,226.13 pre TTL (0% financing) on a white SR5 2wd 5.7L DC with black interior, BEFORE upgrading 18" steel wheels to 20s, adding window tint, and an ARE tonneau cover.

Options off the top of my head:
SP SR5 pkg
CK cold weather
RL Daytime lamps
LF fog lamps
EV tech audio
PE bucket seats w power
HM heated mirrors
WX power rear window
ST steel wheels
BT spray on liner (done at port by GST, invoice $399 MSRP $499)
CF carpet mats (invoice $106 MSRP $178)

$29,226.13 is exactly $500 below invoice. They never let me walk out with the invoice, but I had my laptop and typed as much as I could in Excel. Invoice included 3 holdbacks: $544, $52, and $272; they also included $7.95, $37, and $15.18 for gas, a VIP service followup call, and some other BS fee I can't remember. The $272 was left untouched and they took out enough of the remaining two holdbacks to leave for the $100 mini. The $819 Toyota Marketing Fee and the destination charge just cannot be touched.

They initially gave me a price $300 above invoice; was not easy to get down here but they were willing to do it to sell me the vehicle. As far as I know, they claimed to have to trade another dealer (this thing was still just about leave port so I could never find the vehicle myself until it hit the lot somwhere) to get this for me and couldn't come down any further, but some searching yielded that it was simply headed to their sister store across town before we made the deal and got it in my name (same damn dealership!) :rolleyes: I'm not complaining, $500 below is good enough for me :)

Hope that helps, just note that a lot of this is specific to my region and the timing/deal I made with my dealer. Unfortunately my region doesn't equip Grade/SR5s with JBL (EJ), backup camera mirror (MN), and only puts towing mirrors (TM) on crewmaxes for 2010. I've loved the 10 speaker JBL synthesis on my father's '03 4runner limited, but the standard 6 speaker set up I got sounds plenty fine, at least fine enough for me to not justify spending $$$ and dealing with an aftermarket setup at th is time, although I would've easily taken option EJ if it was available, purely because it is OEM and requires no work on my behalf for a few more hundred bucks rolled into a 0% note.

All in all definitely glad to be daily driving a car I don't have to turn wrenches on myself for a while, and have a warranty once again :) Just spending today installing my brake controller, OEM glass breakage sensor, and V1 radar mount/wiring whilst enjoying the new car smell :)

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
...it's always easier to find storage space than passenger space..........CrewMax FTMFW!!
Great statement... but of course, my truck doubles as the family hauler, so the interior space is definitely more important than the bed.

But, it's a win/win either way --- Good luck

·
Registered
274 Posts
signed paper on our 10' cm 4x4 5.7 today. got it for way less than a trd double cab 4x4. granted its no plat/limited/super crazy sat nav uber truck but with places like edmonds its hard for dealers to play games any more. they piss and moan about the dealership not making money but bottom line is if they didn't make money they wouldn't be there. my number one rule is salesmen are all, ALL, full of ..... do your homework, do a soft pull of your fico if you don't already know, go in armed with info and you will get a deal. toyota is putting trucks, car, etc on the road with great deals. best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I brought home a new CM Limited in Spruce Mica tonight, and had to go to a different dealer across town to get it.

Went to the dealer I've been working with on Saturday after my buddy confirmed the purchase of the Titan. The DC that I was planning to purchase was gone and they had zero Limited Tundras. They said they could find me one and I gave them several color choices and left. Didn't hear back from them Sunday so I called around 3:00, they said they found a couple but where waiting for confirmation from those dealers that they could trade, said they'd call me back in an hour. I didn't hear back from them, so I called around noon today, they still where having trouble finding a truck they could get. I'd been thinking more about it and discussing with the wife, and told them see if they could find a CM. Called back at 3:30 this afternoon and still nothing, I knew from dealer websites that there where several Limited CM's in town, so I informed the dealer if they couldn't find me one I'd go elsewhere. Around 6:30 I hadn't heard from them so I drove across town to check out a slate CM, truck looked great, still had protective plastic all over it, I sat down with the dealer and gave him a number. He asked if my offer included fees and I told him I would pay taxes and DMV fees on top of the number. He dropped my number $300 to cover their processing fee and 2 minutes later after talking to manager we had a deal. Then the manager comes over and ask me to look at another truck they had, I walked out to the lot and he shows me a spruce Limited CM and I really liked the color in person much better than on paper. This truck has all the same options plus bedliner, carpeted floormats, and wood grain, and he offers it at the same price. Thought about it a few minutes and took the spruce.

I wasn't planning on bringing a truck home tonight, just working a deal and going back once I get the check for the Titan, but they sent the truck to prep and had it ready when I was done with paperwork so I drove it home and left the Titan sitting in their parking lot.

·
Registered
544 Posts
CONGRATS!!! Titan is a good truck, but tundra is a bit step up in power and the Goods, You'll love it!!!!

Points added.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I'm still second guessing my color choice, maybe if the sun would come out I'd change my mind. Right now that spruce just looks like dark green.

Can't say that I've seen another Spruce though and Slate seems to be the most common color around here, but it would match my boat better:rolleyes:

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Let's see some pics Jaybr !

·
Premium Member
498 Posts

Thanks

Jay
I have a Zune and use the generic aux jack. I bought a charger for it at Radio Shack for $20.

I have the 20" wheels and they roll just fine. Tires will be more for the 20's though.

If you can put the truck in neutral and turn off the ignition you can over come the throttle sticking on any vehicle. I seriously think that issue has been blown way out of proportion and have not heard of it on a Tundra or Tacoma.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey JayBr!You are going to really like that truck.Power is awesome and gets a bit better Mpg than the old 4.7.Good to hear from you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts