Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about the flashing orange light in the 4wd indicator located on the instument cluster. When I first got my Sequoia in January, when I pushed the 4wd button, the 4 green wheels would light up and the orange light would flash a few times and then go out. Now when I push the button, the 4 green wheels light up and 4wd works, but the orange button will usually keep flashing for a good minute or more. Once in a while it will flash just a few times and go out. Any ideas on why this would be? I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to send it to the dealer, but I'd be interested in some ideas about any potential causitive factors. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
The orange light is for the center differential lock. It looks like you have a 2002 Sequoia, so that light will light up when you are in 4Lo and transmission in L. Now to answer your question, that light flashes when shifting into 4WD because it is not fully engaged yet. There are a lot of circumstances that can affect how long it takes to fully engaged. For instance going slightly up hill or downhill, sometimes if you let off the gas pedal it will engaged faster. If your tires are worn more on either the front or back it will take longer. Also always drive straight while that light is flashing, avoid turning because it could damage the transfer case. A good test would be to push 4WD while in drive but stopped, then switch to neutral, then reverse, and back to drive, it should have engaged by then. Good Luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have an appointment at the dealer this coming Wednesday to check it out and ensure that nothing is wrong. I'm just going to leave the 4WD alone between now and then because the last time that it came out of 4WD the front end really clunked hard. I'm really hoping that if there is something wrong, that it's internal and not an actuator. If it's internal the certified pre-owned warranty will cover the cost of the repair minus a Toyota $50.00 deductible.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If your tires have uneven pressure or wear it can take awhile for the 4wd to activate, thus the light blinks a little longer. Possibly you could also use an oil change in the center diff.

edit: and possibly front diff oil?, I believe they also use the electric axle connect/disconnect system used on other Toys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, here's what the Toyota dealer said. The tech looked at the Sequoia and checked everything. The tech said that the 4WD is functioning perfectly and the electronics of the 4WD system are working fine. He said that in 20 years of doing this, he is sorry but can't tell me exactly why my light keeps flashing.

He noted 2 possibilities:
1. the new tires are 11/32 in the front and 8/32 in the rear. 5K on the tires so due for a rotation.
2. Since it's a CPO the dealer may have changed the diff fluid and put the wrong fluid in. I guess that Toyota uses 2 different fluids.

Here's the question though...is 3/32 difference in tread truly that critical? If so, how can you possibly keep your tires rotated that often? You'd be rotating tires ever 2-3K miles.

I think if the wrong fluid had been used, it wouldn't have taken 5K miles for it to manifest.

Opinions please.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Did you try what I originally posted. Doing that will tell if it is the tires or the fluid. Also the Sequoia has a different transfer case then the Tundra, because it has a full time 4WD setting. It takes longer to engaged because it locks both axles together first like part time 4WD, then the center differential engages. That light will flash the whole time until the center diff engages, which can take a little long depending on a lot of different things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did all of what you had mentioned. doesn't make a difference. Also I called the selling dealer today and they said that they did not change the differential fluid when they serviced it, so that rules out the wrong fluid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I now have the same issue in my 2004 4X4 sequoia, did u ever get a solution? only 500 miles left on my warranty. I basically got the same exact speil from my dealer. HELP...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with roastbeef in his above post. I've noticed all different times in engaging my 4 wheel drive depending on road condition and tire condition. It seems now that I've changed to LT tires (BFG A/T KO's) that it seems to switch into 4x4 quicker. Maybe the stiffer tire with higher pressure ?
When I had uneven tires due to blowouts (stupid stock tires) and rotating on the new spare, it would sometimes take a while.
Going straight and letting off the gas usually clicks it right in.
And never try to turn, especially in reverse, when trying to engage (it makes an unpleasant sound and gives an unpleasant feeling in the gut).

·
Registered
42 Posts
It ended up being the tires, I had blow out problems with the Dunlops that came on it, and replaced them with Goodyears, but I haven't been faithful to rotate the tires so they are a little off. God forbid anyone ever need to airdown for off-roading, yup my Sequoia actually goes offroad. Thanks for all the info.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
It ended up being the tires, I had blow out problems with the Dunlops that came on it, and replaced them with Goodyears, but I haven't been faithful to rotate the tires so they are a little off. God forbid anyone ever need to airdown for off-roading, yup my Sequoia actually goes offroad. Thanks for all the info.
As long as they are aired down eqaully should not be an issue. Also as stated, if you are stopped (or before you start), activate the 4WD, place in neutral, back to drive and it "should" engage instantly. Mine does everytime, aired up, aired down, winter, summer. Pressure needs to be relieved from driveline to let it engage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts