Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Tundra 4x4 TRD double cab. I was doing some fall maint. this weekend and wanted to test the four wheel drive and noticed that when I was switching from four wheel high back to 2wd there was a slight dunk/clunk. I tried it a couple times and it was the same. I haven't used four wheel drive since last winter, and don't know if there is something to smooth out the transition back to 2 wheel drive on the fly. I wasn't accelerating while switching back or anything like that. I am planning on changing out the transfer case fluid this weekend, and want to figure out this issue.

Has anyone had this happen to them, if so what did you do to correct it? Is there any maint. that can fix this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 05 AC Limited. I have greased the 3 front fittings. I wonder it they
need more grease? I am interested to hear from the group if it is something else. I had the front and rear differential serviced at 65K. It has 100K on it now. I drove it about 15 miles in a down pour and switched
it back in the rain. I know you are not suppose to use the 4x4 on dry pavement.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just a reminder, you are suppose to engage the 4x4 every month and drive in it 10 miles to keep everything lubricated. This is in the manual

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think it would help to engage it and then drive it a while like that to circulate things? I thought the manual said not to engage on dry pavement, or something to that idea?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do you think it would help to engage it and then drive it a while like that to circulate things? I thought the manual said not to engage on dry pavement, or something to that idea?
As long as your on a straight stretch of road, it shouldnt cause any binding. Just don't make any sharp turns on the the dry concrete and you will be fine. I do it occasionally on a straight slow speed stretch through town on my way to work.

-Wes

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I had the same thing with my '06 double cab. I asked my salesman about it and we went for a ride. What I was doing wrong was letting my foot off the gas when I pushed the 4 hi button on or off. The salesman pushed it on and of while maintaining a
constant speed and no cluck what so ever. Try it and good luck. Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
To ease shifting between 2wd/4wd and back...Try shifting into neutral first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my 2001 is doing the same thing. It will clunk quite noticeably when taking it out of 4HI and coasting, but not with a light pedal. My 2002 that I
had a few years ago did no such thing. It did have far less miles than the 176,500 I have on mine. Perhaps the actuator switch at the transfer
case is worn?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts