Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Spent about 30 hours recently performing some frame maintenance on my Tundra and thought I would share some pics (sorry iphone quality...)

Not wanting to wait for my frame to rot out I decided to do what I have done to 3 other vehicles I have owned in the past... lay on my back for hours sanding and cleaning the frame and then paint it... I used a sandblaster in the past to do this but considering the health concerns associated with silca dust I opted not to expose myself to it again...:td:

What I used:

angle grinder equipped with a 60 grit flap disc
drill equipped with metal brush wheel for tight spots
flat screwdriver for scraping loose paint off in really tight spots
hammer for pounding on the frame to knock loose rust off
1 gallon of Tremclad Black (rustolem in the USA)

First Step, get the box outta the way, makes working on the back much easier... remove taillights & unhook wires, unbolt fuel filler hose, remove 6 torx bolts via impact gun holding box to chassis

My frame before clean up... its solid with the exception of the rear bump stops which I plan on fabricating in the near future using 3/16 steel, note: I already had the rear crossmember replaced under the recent Toyota recall

After beating off loose rust, sanding, and a couple coats of paint

I never took any pics under the truck due to the phone not having a flash:( but I continued on up the frame rails to the front bumper. Its a lot of work but worth it in the long run IMO... Every year I will crawl under the truck and slap another coat of paint on it. Total cost was about $60

Next week I plan on undercoating the cab and box, will get some more pics under the truck the with my actual camera...

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Very impressive work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Excellent Job! Your frame looks new!

Points sent!

If it were me, I would have parked over a sprinkler
until the frame rusted through then had Toyota replace it.

Just thinking out loud.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good work, that looks nice! I love all the details people like us would only ever know or notice :tu:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice work!! Have you thught about spraying some sort of sound deading under the cab after painting? Looks great so far, can't wait to see it all done!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent Job! Your frame looks new!

Points sent!

If it were me, I would have parked over a sprinkler
until the frame rusted through then had Toyota replace it.

Just thinking out loud.

<TUNDRA>
When I heard that toyota was replacing rusted out tundra frames I got excited!! I mean after all I did cash in during the Tacoma lottery a couple of years ago (I actually found the massive hole in my taco frame doing this very thing!) I went out and lifted the box off my tundra and scrutinized the frame from one end to the other (read "beat it to death with a hammer":D) atlas not a soft spot or hole to be found... except the rear axle bump stops which are not covered.... there was no way it would rust through in the time needed to have Toyota replace the frame

Good work, that looks nice! I love all the details people like us would only ever know or notice :tu:
...you mean i am not the only OCD person out there that picks up on this stuff!?? LOL!

Nice work!! Have you thught about spraying some sort of sound deading under the cab after painting? Looks great so far, can't wait to see it all done!
thats the next step, this truck needs to last a long time! I live along the bay of fundy where we are blanketed in salty fog 1/2 the time and driving over salty roads the other 1/2 of the year.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Wanna come do mine?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
211 Posts
What is it about the Tundra frames that cause them to rust so bad? Thankfully, I am not experiencing this problem as I live in Florida and no road salt to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
How did the bottom side of the bed look and what type of coating will it receive? I can appreciate your hard work and you're not OCD, just practical. Like you I plan on driving mine until one of us quits.

Coincidentally, I just finished cleaning my undercarriage this past Friday. Degreasing and washing off road grime pretty well cleaned mine up. No rust to mention.

My outside truck frame rails from just behind the A arm to the rear are coated with some type of asphalt base undercoating. It was this way when I bought it new and was not something I requested. The fender wells had some of this same coating which broke loose when I pressure washed the fender wells. I really don't know if this was done through Southeast Toyota or the dealer but being in the deep South I would have preferred just the painted surface. It looks better when detailed.

Good luck to you on your project, it looks good.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
What is it about the Tundra frames that cause them to rust so bad? Thankfully, I am not experiencing this problem as I live in Florida and no road salt to deal with.
I often wondered the same thing. Maybe poor quality steel. I live in Eastern Ohio and Road Salt eats the heck out of our cars up here. But i guess its much worse in the northern states. My tundra is getting the frame replaced right now. I had the truck undercoated one time back on 2007 when I wrecked the truck. But when I took pictures of the tundra frame a couple of days ago on the recall the undercoating is pretty much nonexistent.

Hopefully this new frame will last longer.

Chris

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You guys getting new frames should ask your dealer when they have the cab off if you could install headers really quick. With the body off it would only take about 30mins top! That would be cool....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did the bottom side of the bed look and what type of coating will it receive? I can appreciate your hard work and you're not OCD, just practical. Like you I plan on driving mine until one of us quits.

Coincidentally, I just finished cleaning my undercarriage this past Friday. Degreasing and washing off road grime pretty well cleaned mine up. No rust to mention.

My outside truck frame rails from just behind the A arm to the rear are coated with some type of asphalt base undercoating. It was this way when I bought it new and was not something I requested. The fender wells had some of this same coating which broke loose when I pressure washed the fender wells. I really don't know if this was done through Southeast Toyota or the dealer but being in the deep South I would have preferred just the painted surface. It looks better when detailed.

Good luck to you on your project, it looks good.
Bottom side of the bed looks pretty good as well as the cab. Most of the white paint is still there with some minor surface rust here and there... There is also a bit of surface rust under my box liner around the box rail areas... looks like the paint may have cracked around these areas from heavy loads on the bed at some time in the past. I will check these areas over very closely when i lift the box off again...

Another area to check is up inside your rear wheel wells on the inside for surface rust forming. I see some minor rust stains in there that will be dealt with soon to prevent any rust damage. The Underside of the whole box and cab will be sprayed with rubberized asphalt undercoating + heavy tar in the areas i cant spray

here's a pic of what I did to my old Tacoma a few years ago to give you an idea of what I have planned... the more underside protection the better around here!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a good question about this whole undercoating thing. The " remove 6 torx bolts " step in this thread......what size are these torx bolts and where can I get my hands this tool. This weekend I wanna start mine. I got the POR -15 kit complete with 2 quarts of the black goo.

I am so proud of myself. I didn't start a WHOLE NEW thread but used the search option....whooooo hoooooooooooooo :first:

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Great Job!

I was about to do part of my frame recently with POR-15 until I sliced my finger with a razor by accident when opening a new air tool for a wirebrush kit to use along with a 4" grinder.

Good to hear you don't have the bed rot issue. The torx bolts on my bed are so rotted, I've got to cut them off and put on new ones.

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
I had a good question about this whole undercoating thing. The " remove 6 torx bolts " step in this thread......what size are these torx bolts and where can I get my hands this tool. This weekend I wanna start mine. I got the POR -15 kit complete with 2 quarts of the black goo.

I am so proud of myself. I didn't start a WHOLE NEW thread but used the search option....whooooo hoooooooooooooo :first:
Those bed bolts require a T55.

If you want to replace them, the bolts size for stock height is M12-1.25X110mm.

I recommend hammering off the stock washers and reusing them, if they're rusted of course.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts