Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sorry to hear.I would really hope not and from what it sounds like is everthing eles took the hit hoefully.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Wow...i gotta ask what did your buddy do when he f**ked this one up?

If i had been you i would have very calmly approached my friend and then proceed to punch him in the face.

·
Registered
859 Posts
That sounds like a lot of damage and is gonna be an insurance claim anyway. With no pics and fact that I can't really visualize the accident, hard to tell if the frame is damaged. It would certainly have to be checked out anyway. It may look good but could be out of true.

Did it go in sideways? Or back int the ditch? What about the tailgate, it that dameged too?

·
Registered
681 Posts
That sucks, but there is no way to know if the frame is bent. Obviously, you are going to have to take it to a body shop, so let them answer the question for you. Just another example of why I never let anyone drive my vehicles. Hopefully his insurance company is footing the bill on this!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
That sucks...let the proper people take a look at it and tell your buddy to get his insurance info in order...his premiums are about to go up.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
That blows dude. I'd kick him right square in the nutz. What the hell is he doing with a jetski if he has no way to tow it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Note to readers: If you loan out your truck, YOUR insurance is on the line first. Because the policy is vehicle specific. The only way out would be if you and your drunk buddy have the SAME insurance company....Then you might convince the claim rep to put the accident on his record instead of yours.

Same applies to a dealer repairing your car. While in the dealer possession (with in the scope of permission) YOUR insurance policy is first in line to pay if there is an accident.

The insurance company holds you responsible for accidents you commit, and for WHO you loan your car to (and the accidents they commit). Unless the car is stolen. So don't EVER leave your keys in the Tundra either.

Peacemakerpete

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Note to readers: If you loan out your truck, YOUR insurance is on the line first. Because the policy is vehicle specific. The only way out would be if you and your drunk buddy have the SAME insurance company....Then you might convince the claim rep to put the accident on his record instead of yours.

Same applies to a dealer repairing your car. While in the dealer possession (with in the scope of permission) YOUR insurance policy is first in line to pay if there is an accident.

The insurance company holds you responsible for accidents you commit, and for WHO you loan your car to (and the accidents they commit). Unless the car is stolen. So don't EVER leave your keys in the Tundra either.

Peacemakerpete
yup. as he states. the policy is for the vehicle...only time drivers are affected is if they are specifically excluded or there is a clause about only approved drivers. likewise, if there is a clause about rental or borrowed vehicles, it "can" cover them...but basically, for the most part, the vehicle is insured regardless of who was behind the wheel...

·
Registered
819 Posts
That is why I dont let people drive my truck! Hope all is worked out for ya.

·
Registered
379 Posts
the insurance follows the vehicle... but that doesn't mean it will necessarily be chargeable to you. In no way would you ever be able to convince the rep to put it on his policy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Also, if you've been claim free for a while, you may get this as an 'accident forgiveness' incident.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Police do not investigate vehicular accidents on private property. There are no traffic laws to enforce.
almost correct. but a driveway is an area where "a substantial portion of the public" has access to, and thus its in public although its private property. so you CAN get a dwi/dui in a driveway. operating while intoxicated is in a public place, not public property or on a street. sure, traffic laws arent enforcable...but dui/dwi are breach of the peace offenses and are enforceable. just like if a drunk was in a private parking lot at an apt complex...yeah we (LEOs) cant cite for traffic violations but it is in "public" where a substantial portion of the public has access...so its deemed in public and good to go for intoxication cases. same for paid parking garages, etc. truth be told, 99.999 percent of parking lots are "private property" one way or another (owned by company or individual) so traffic laws dont fly there, just intoxication laws. kinda like you CAN get a public intoxication in your own driveway or front yard...backyard? no...perhaps a disorderly conduct if you are screaming but no PI charges....but if you are intox in your front yard, its public because others have access to it...now if you fenced it in, then thats a different story...so i guess if the driveway was behind a security gate then no...but assuming no physical barrier to keep others from the area, then yeah, free game for us DWI enforecemnt types.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts