Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help, I have a 2019 Trd Pro, I was stopped in traffic and rear ended by a Corolla probably going about 40-50 mph and I’m not even sure if he tried to brake. Knocked the hell out of me, after looking under my truck it appears that both sides of the frame might have damage, looks like bowed down just forward of where the factory hitch bolts onto the frame. The hitch receiver is now angled down, the mounting plate from the hitch to the frame have moved about 1/8-1/4 inch. Also, the tailgate and bedside panels are no longer flush not to mention there is about a half inch difference in the height from one side to the other. It looks like his insurance is taking responsibility but they are telling me to take it to a small shop vs dealer which will be on insurance side and not mine. Can the frame be straightened or need new frame? One year old truck with 9K miles and not a scratch on it prior. 014544AF-E196-43AB-ADAB-0F61DA897FA4.jpeg

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Blows that some dick weed smoked your truck, especially since its a nice ride, and most likely they were texting.
Not a frame expert but I have absolutely heard of frame straightening before and yes, I would bet it is a bent frame, but take it to any body shop you want to confirm for sure. Thats the only way you will know if it is or is not a damaged frame. Pretty sure most of them will give you an estimate for free and do it on the spot too. Bigger question, why is insurance telling you where to take it? Is that the rules where you live? I just know here insurance doesnt really care where you take it, they send out their own appraiser and tell you how much it will cost and thats how much you get. Sometimes you can push harder if they low ball you but they definitely dont care where you take it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tell the insurance company to pound sand and take it where you want. They can't legally force you to use a shop of their choice.

27. CHOICE OF REPAIR SHOP AND REPLACEMENT PARTS. You have the right to choose the repair shop and replacement parts for your vehicle. An insurance company may not specify the brand, type, kind, age, vendor, supplier, or condition of parts or products used to repair your automobile. The insurance company must provide you notice of the above requirements as follows:
  • claims submitted by telephone – written notice within 3 business days or immediate verbal notice, followed by written notice within 15 days;
  • claims submitted in person – immediate written notice at the time you present your vehicle to an insurer or an insurance adjuster or other person in connection with a claim for damage repair;
  • claims submitted in writing – written notice must be provided within 3 business days of the insurance company's receipt of the notice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell the insurance company to pound sand and take it where you want. They can't legally force you to use a shop of their choice.
[/QU
Need some help, I have a 2019 Trd Pro, I was stopped in traffic and rear ended by a Corolla probably going about 40-50 mph and I’m not even sure if he tried to brake. Knocked the hell out of me, after looking under my truck it appears that both sides of the frame might have damage, looks like bowed down just forward of where the factory hitch bolts onto the frame. The hitch receiver is now angled down, the mounting plate from the hitch to the frame have moved about 1/8-1/4 inch. Also, the tailgate and bedside panels are no longer flush not to mention there is about a half inch difference in the height from one side to the other. It looks like his insurance is taking responsibility but they are telling me to take it to a small shop vs dealer which will be on insurance side and not mine. Can the frame be straightened or need new frame? One year old truck with 9K miles and not a scratch on it prior. View attachment 151328 View attachment 151329
View attachment 151333
This the bow in the frame on one side

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Need some help, I have a 2019 Trd Pro, I was stopped in traffic and rear ended by a Corolla probably going about 40-50 mph and I’m not even sure if he tried to brake. Knocked the hell out of me, after looking under my truck it appears that both sides of the frame might have damage, looks like bowed down just forward of where the factory hitch bolts onto the frame. The hitch receiver is now angled down, the mounting plate from the hitch to the frame have moved about 1/8-1/4 inch. Also, the tailgate and bedside panels are no longer flush not to mention there is about a half inch difference in the height from one side to the other. It looks like his insurance is taking responsibility but they are telling me to take it to a small shop vs dealer which will be on insurance side and not mine. Can the frame be straightened or need new frame? One year old truck with 9K miles and not a scratch on it prior. View attachment 151328 View attachment 151329
Where hitch bolts onto frame that shifted

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I dont know about other members but when I clicked on your attachment it takes me to the ride of the month page. Anyone else getting that?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know about other members but when I clicked on your attachment it takes me to the ride of the month page. Anyone else getting that?
Not sure, having hard time with my post. I tried to add couple of pics but messed up somewhere. Wish I could figure it out so I could post pics of the frame that I think looks messed up

·
Registered
3 Posts
In TX it is illegal for the insurance company to tell you where to take your vehicle for repair. You can take anywhere you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure, having hard time with my post. I tried to add couple of pics but messed up somewhere. Wish I could figure it out so I could post pics of the frame that I think looks messed up
Sorry that happened. Hope you are ok.
That happened to my 85 4wd. Came out of a work party and it had been hit from behind and thrown on the sidewalk. Took it to the Dealer and they sent it to their body shop ( most dealers do not have their own body shop, they just charge you more).
It was never the same. Alignment was never right and it towed weird.

They may fix it, but chances are good it will never be right.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I took a similar shot about 7 years ago in my '01 tundra. I was stopped at a traffic light and a girl in a Honda Accord ran right into the back of me without stopping. A 45 mph road. Pushed my truck out into the middle of the intersection. My pictures looked just like yours. Bumper was bent down on my tundra and her hood was a mess. I did have a trailer hitch on with a ball and that took the brunt of the hit. The place I took it was able to fix it with no adverse affects. They told me the frame rails were actually bent outward a little and they were able to pull them back in. The hitch definitely saved me from worse damage.

Take it to a quality body shop and they should be able to tell you exactly what is needed to make it right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In TX it is illegal for the insurance company to tell you where to take your vehicle for repair. You can take anywhere you want.
Right, but they entice you with a vehicle Lifetime warranty on the repairs and to be honest many times the shops are top notch outfits, not some mom & pop shop or middling quality place. Ask nicely and you'll get what you want. Luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's not going to be a total on a 2019. Couple hours of frame pulling, new hitch, new rear bumper, couple hours for disassembly...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's not going to be a total on a 2019. Couple hours of frame pulling, new hitch, new rear bumper, couple hours for disassembly...
Not sure how the can straighten wavy frame, like it’s been compacted and not bent to one side or the other.
I don’t really want it totaled out because will not get enough to replace with another one just like it. One year old with 9K miles with all of the stuff I’ve added.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts