Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
These show the damage to the frame on both sides near where the hitch bolts on. Just seems like something more that I’m not seeing, left side of bed is closer to the cab than other side and left rear wheel is closer to the mud flap than other side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry that happened. Hope you are ok.
That happened to my 85 4wd. Came out of a work party and it had been hit from behind and thrown on the sidewalk. Took it to the Dealer and they sent it to their body shop ( most dealers do not have their own body shop, they just charge you more).
It was never the same. Alignment was never right and it towed weird.

They may fix it, but chances are good it will never be right.
Thanks, mine now pulls to the right and pretty bad tire rub on plastic liner. That’s what I’m afraid of, never being the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need some help, I have a 2019 Trd Pro, I was stopped in traffic and rear ended by a Corolla probably going about 40-50 mph and I’m not even sure if he tried to brake. Knocked the hell out of me, after looking under my truck it appears that both sides of the frame might have damage, looks like bowed down just forward of where the factory hitch bolts onto the frame. The hitch receiver is now angled down, the mounting plate from the hitch to the frame have moved about 1/8-1/4 inch. Also, the tailgate and bedside panels are no longer flush not to mention there is about a half inch difference in the height from one side to the other. It looks like his insurance is taking responsibility but they are telling me to take it to a small shop vs dealer which will be on insurance side and not mine. Can the frame be straightened or need new frame? One year old truck with 9K miles and not a scratch on it prior. View attachment 151328 View attachment 151329
Part it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take the stuff you added off of the truck and tell them to total it. Then have them write you a check for the pre-accident
amount. Better yet, have them write you a check for the pre-accident value plus all of your add ons. Because of the
accident, your truck will always have that noted on Car Fax. So, years from now, if you want to sell it, it isn't an accident
free truck and its value goes down. Go find the most recent sold truck that is most like yours on Ebay and if you feel that is a fair price, tell them to write you a check. Better yet, start shopping for the exact 2019 truck that you want.
Take that price, plus your registration cost, plus tax and tell them to write you a check for that amount. Do Not Keep
Your Truck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
10Cal hit it on the head. You should strip the upgraded parts you installed "Before" insurance ever sees it especially any parts you can replace with the original parts if you still have them. Unless you have every part receipt on hand insurance companies allow nothing extra for upgrades or expensive repairs done recently fwiw. It's very rare they pay more than book.
In no way shape or form do you want to keep this truck even repaired by a frame pro (yes they can do it, very costly) but understand its already on file for being in an accident until it rusts into the earth. Fixed or not it will be marked "Damaged". Quite possibly may even be listed as "Salvage" for its lifetime before its all over.

Many cases now days cops are trained to note the area the vehicles hit on and rather its "Light" or "Heavily" damaged on his report and this shows up on a carfax later too if marked. Nobody wants to buy either one but any heavily damaged vehicle is priced not just well below market value like lighter damaged car is but closer to lowest which is at or near parts/salvage book value. Sorry but thats facts..Let them have it!!
Many dealerships will take them for trade-ins "very cheap" if repaired but generally try to re-sell them for trade in value in most all cases, that's "if" they even try to sell it at all as most end up at the car auctions anyway and sold to smaller used dealers to sell to the sucker who don't do a history check before buying. I said "if" the new dealerships tries to sell it because most new car dealership & salesmen alike refuse to waste time selling any heavily damaged marked vehicles afraid it hurts their good car reputation and its a lower commission rate salesman will get on them too.

Used to be a day the all insurance companies paid victims off for their cars and simply allowed them to keep them for a few hundred or free even sometimes and cars weren't marked as damaged or salvage (parts). Many were put back into service half assed so now they want to sell them back to us for several grand and marked as junk for its lifetime to combat that.. Don't do it, you'll still lose in the end in most every case! Best of luck, don't be afraid to involve lawyers. I sued my own insurance company and won, they cancelled me over it but a year later they offered to take me back..lol Right like that's happening when they don't pay people for damages?..They are so ignorant!! Peace

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just heard from the body shop, progressive wants them to try to pull the frame to straighten then get them back with the results. Not sure how I feel about this crap. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would talk to an attorney. There is no way I would accept that truck and I am 64 years old. I have seen it all.
Stand tough. Talk to an attorney and then go from there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just heard from the body shop, progressive wants them to try to pull the frame to straighten then get them back with the results. Not sure how I feel about this crap. Any thoughts?
Depends on the quality of the shop honestly and how close they get to factory specs.

Either way tell them you want to seek diminished value for your truck. Considering it's a nearly new vehicle loss in market value is a legitimate concern.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just found out that they used heat and pulled the frame, say it’s good now. I thought I read somewhere that heat could not be used, anyone know for sure?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts