Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra Limited Edition with a TRD supercharger :D (supercharger install at 35,000 miles)and many other performance parts. My truck has an aftermarket exhaust (true dual) with the y pipe gone. Also I just turned 200,000 miles. I towed with this truck all the time (Like 25,000 miles a year). I tow a 4,500 pound trailer and I get 9.5 to 10.2 mpg while towing. I get 13 to 18 mpg when not towing and if I stay off the supercharger. The body has NO RUST on it and I kept waxing and doing the upkeep on it. Note: Timing belt was done at 140,000, shocks at 185,000.

Now that you have a better idea what I use the truck for and the condition, MY QUESTION IS... My truck has been recalled for the frame. My frame has been order and I will have the new frame in the next month or so at DUNNING TOYOTA IN ANN ARBOR, MI. QUESTION IS.. What things should I have done since my frame is off? Doing engine or transmission upgrades or rebuilding doesn't make sense because this is drop and not taken apart. They said they would put all new parts in where they take off and do new brake lines and other things. I was thinking that I plan on having this supercharged truck to at least 350,000 miles. Are there any parts or service I should have them do like: timing belt, alternator, shocks, any other things? Should I take pictures of the underside of the truck so i get all my aftermarket parts back like the headers, exhaust, towing hitch, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ummm.. The 5.7 will not fit into a 2001 Tundra. I wish b/c I would do it in a heartbeat with a supercharger for the 5.7 and then buy a 4.7 4 runner and put the supercharger to that SUV.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the link doesn't work for me. I looked into in and my mechanic said a 5.7 with the 6 speed tranny would not fit into a 2001 tundra. If it did..wow over 500 HP. Right now I am getting 385 HP.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Go to YouTube n search 5.7 in 1st gen tundra. It should b the first vid. It's a white extra cab

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok.. i did type what you said too. The white tundra supposedly a 5.7 looks no difference in speed then mine. My 4.7 supercharged does the same thing and mine even looks faster. Not sure what to make of this video. Except my tundra burns the tires like that and looks faster. I guess I would have to see it in person or race the truck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ya I know wat u mean, I feel the same. But the did the swap w/ a 5.7 that's an accomplishment in itself. It sounds real good tho. He had a lot of trouble with the wiring he said. I think there is a thread on here about it. I have the 5.7 n it is fast. But so r the 4.7's. I had a titan b4 the tundra n u barely won in a race against a 4.7. With the s/c u probably have as much pwr as the 5.7. Am I right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your stock 5.7 tundra has 381 HP and much more weight. My tundra is a little under 5,000 lbs with around 385 HP. My 4.7 tundra is a bit noticeably faster but you add the supercharger to yours and its over. my tundra is running around 13.9 to 14.5 and yours should be around 14.9 on average. So i can be at least .5 sec to 1 sec faster. But add a supercharger to yours and you will destroy me. I have yet to see a 5.7 in a 1st generation in person or pictures of one in a 1st generation. I am sure money can make it work but i would want it to be easy. Which means getting a 5.7 tundra and adding the supercharger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's cool, but still I don't see any prove of it working. Need drag strip quarter mile times (video). Until then I say it has not been done.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ys me too, I nd to c it to believe it. It's a little messy with the wires tho. There was a 5.7 & transmission on craigslist out here in vegas. It might still b there, dk. I looked like a wk or two ago. If ur really interested. My 5.7 is n/a n I can smoke a Porsche cayenne, I can imagine it yours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually talked to my mechanic at Toyota and he said the wiring is the issue along with the transfer case. Plus the bolts will not line up. Said the 5.7 could be done but to much money and not something Toyota would do or support.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I actually talked to my mechanic at Toyota and he said the wiring is the issue along with the transfer case. Plus the bolts will not line up. Said the 5.7 could be done but to much money and not something Toyota would do or support.
ya if u have somebody do it especially the dealer it will cost an arm & a leg. The hardest part was the wiring for the guy who did it. I forgot ur main question was what u should have the dealer do to ur truck when it goes in. I was just responding to the 5.7 swap. I can only imagine wat the dealer would charge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You started something that doesn't happen. A 5.7 in a 1st generation tundra.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Capt Dave - I am not sure what your original question was - but, my brother just took his truck in for the frame swap warrenty issue. They ended up putting over $7,000 worth of new parts back on the truck! Toyota says they can't put worn out parts back on, cause of liability issues. He had over 285,000 hard miles on it! When a company backs their products like this, it should make everyone a dedicated Toyota fan!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
7,000 in new parts? Like what part besides the frame. This was my original question. Meaning.. What parts should I make Toyota looks at while the frame is off. What part when bad on your brothers truck? Sounds like I could just be worry as Toyota will make sure everything is good before they put the truck back together.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Doesn't matter if the parts are bad or not, they have to replace. Meaning bolts, nuts, connectors, rubber mounts, etc. They can't reuse anything. $7k worth of parts vs a million dollar lawsuit. Think about it for yourself, they will probably have to torch off some of the bolts to get that thing apart anyway. Sounds like a good deal to me. I'd just have them give a look to everything underneath and call you with any recommendations before they start putting it back together. Maybe an underbody rust treatment to keep the underside just as nice as the outside?

I hope I can get that many miles from the 11 I just bought. I got almost 200k from my sienna, hope to get more out of this rig. I'm always looking at what I can do preventative wise to make this thing last.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tundra's will last! Just wash and wax the truck. Change the oil every 3,000 miles and don't use synthetic oil. Also do the upkeep and schedule maintenance. I also use Bridgestone Revo's for tires. They are the only tire I found to grip the road b/c I have the supercharger. I would be upset if I don't get 350,000 miles out of a Toyota engine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts