Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Frame Replacement

14K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  mountain goat 
#1 ·
I took my 2000 Tundra into the dealer today for a recall inspection of the spare tire cross member and frame. Verdict is that it needs a new frame and cross member. The entire process will take a week once the parts arrive. Apparently they been doing Tacoma's for the last few months and have now started Tundra's. Anyone else in this same boat? If so, I'd be interesting in your experience with process and ending results.

#3 ·
Let me get this straight. They are going to remove the body, the engine, the suspension, gas tank and everything else from the old frame and transfer it onto a new frame. On a ten-year-old truck.

I'm anxious to hear more about this.

#5 ·
My 2000 Tundra with 236,000 failed state inspection due to 3 areas of frame rust. Especially rusted out on drivers side at the rear cross member. Was informed by Toyota that they will be replacing the complete frame on this truck. Really hard to believe they are putting this cost into a 10 year old truck. Went by another Toyota dealer this afternoon. There were 2 complete frames sitting in parking lot. Have to believe they are for Tundras

#7 ·
I went in a couple of weeks ago and got my frame inspection on my 2000 tundra after the brake warning klight came on. The proportioning valve was leaking so I lost pressure. I remember that the proportioning valve is covered under the rust recall. My frame failed instpection, they are replacing the frame and some other components.

The toyota mechanic said he has done over a hundred of them between Tacoma's and Tundra's. He said the other mechanic that does them has done more than him.

If you need a frame they won't let you drive it away for safety reasons, so the provide a rental car for free. Initially they said six weeks because it take a while to get the tundra frames, they have several Tacoma frames stacked up outside the shop.

The initial estimate was $5,800. Lots of other work not related to frame that I will take care of my self or have my mechanic do it for less or just let it go. The items that I will have them do are e-brake cable which broke when they took it apart. $295. Shifter cable (badly rusted) $310, all fuel lines $350, Transmission mount $110, rear bumper stops $165. I called Toyota customer service to see if they would cover any of these parts. The answer was no!

After they gave me the estimate I asked to look at the parts so I could deside what to replace and not. So they brought me into the shop and the cab is up on the lift and all the other parts are stung out on the floor in a farely neet pile, organized from front to rear as they were dissasembled. There was another Tundra next to mine also disaasembled.

Unbelievable no matter how you look at it!

#10 ·
I went in a couple of weeks ago and got my frame inspection on my 2000 tundra after the brake warning klight came on. The proportioning valve was leaking so I lost pressure. I remember that the proportioning valve is covered under the rust recall. My frame failed instpection, they are replacing the frame and some other components.

The toyota mechanic said he has done over a hundred of them between Tacoma's and Tundra's. He said the other mechanic that does them has done more than him.

If you need a frame they won't let you drive it away for safety reasons, so the provide a rental car for free. Initially they said six weeks because it take a while to get the tundra frames, they have several Tacoma frames stacked up outside the shop.

The initial estimate was $5,800. Lots of other work not related to frame that I will take care of my self or have my mechanic do it for less or just let it go. The items that I will have them do are e-brake cable which broke when they took it apart. $295. Shifter cable (badly rusted) $310, all fuel lines $350, Transmission mount $110, rear bumper stops $165. I called Toyota customer service to see if they would cover any of these parts. The answer was no!

After they gave me the estimate I asked to look at the parts so I could deside what to replace and not. So they brought me into the shop and the cab is up on the lift and all the other parts are stung out on the floor in a farely neet pile, organized from front to rear as they were dissasembled. There was another Tundra next to mine also disaasembled.

Unbelievable no matter how you look at it!
Interesting, I have a leaking proportioning valve on my 2003 tundra and just had the dealer order a new valve to be put in when it comes in in a few days. I dont think I can get this under the recall as I have no rust on my fram and live in a Western State, but thanks for posting about the valve because I could not find anyone else with this problem. I spotted mine with a small leak when I was under the truck adjusting the load bar the hooks to the valve after and AAL install.

#11 ·
im looking to buy a 2000 tundra from new hampshire and it's in the process of getting new frame. they have another on the lot that just got it and it looks great. they said once they get the frame though, it only takes a day and a half to do it. maybe theyre just fast

#12 ·
My 2000 has been in the shop since 12/30/09 waiting on the new frame. The frame arrived 3 weeks ago, and they are still in the process of getting all the bugs worked out before giving it back to me. Whoever says it takes less than 2 days is blowing smoke. I made them do a state safety and emissions inspection prior to me accepting it back from them.

#15 ·
Got my 2000 Tundra back with new frame, 4 new shocks, and upper and lower ball joints just last week after being in shop for 12 weeks. Left dealership and drove 1 mile and lost acceleration and check engine light came on. Had to pull off to road side and get a tow back to dealership. Throttle body was indicator. Service had it reset and informed me probably due to truck not run for 12 weeks. No problems since. Truck is running and riding great. Still found it hard to believe that Toyota did all this work for a 10 year old truck with 236,000 miles. They also provided me with a rental vehicle for this time as mine truck inspection had run out. $2,800 paid to Enterprise. Still think I would have been happier with a buy back.

#16 ·
Our shop has done a few frames and it should NOT take 3 weeks. I did a frame job years ago on a T100 (bent frame from an accident) and it only took me 3 days. I'd say they are putting your job to the back burner.

My 2000 has been in the shop since 12/30/09 waiting on the new frame. The frame arrived 3 weeks ago, and they are still in the process of getting all the bugs worked out before giving it back to me. Whoever says it takes less than 2 days is blowing smoke. I made them do a state safety and emissions inspection prior to me accepting it back from them.

#17 ·
Update on my replacement. They had it for a month and it's supposed to be done today. They called and told me the steering rack is leaking to such an extent it cannot be driven. Odd, given that the truck never leaked period prior to going in. They offered to replace it at cost ($400). Thoughts on if I should do this? My guess is that the seals dried up after sitting with no fluid for the month. Anyone have this issue?

#18 ·
I took my 2000 Tundra in last month for the inspection. They found a rust through hole in the side of the frame. Toyota is replacing the frame.
The dealer just called and said the frame is in, all I need to do is drop it off. It will take 5 to 7 days to do the job (the dealer has done 20 of them already).
Only problem I have is that they would give me a Corolla to use but I can't except it as it won't tow a 20 foot boat. I asked for another truck to use but they refused.
Oh well, taking the truck in at the end of the month to have this done.

#19 ·
I did pick it up today. The reason they had it for so long was that as they tore the frame down, they found more parts that needed replacing that were not included in the kit. Once they had a complete list of parts, some were back ordered, and I had to wait. Looking at the parts list, I got a new AC condenser/compressor, radiator, left sway bar link, rear shocks, fuel lines, fuel filter, rear cylinder bleeder, and control arms. They are also waiting on some wheel well trim that got ripped off in the parking lot.

#20 ·
They told me mine would be done in a week also. I also got the parts on backorder speach and it took a month. In fact I called them yesterday looking for the status and was told the part apparently 'just came in'. I'm amazed they replace your condenser - they told me mine was leaking and offered to fix it for 900$. Anyone have any contact info for Toyota corporate? Or perhaps if anyone ran into similar issues, how it got resolved. Thanks for your help!

#21 ·
I honestly think I got the AC parts for free to keep me quiet. They had my truck since 12/30/09, and I had recently filed a complaint against the dealership with my state attorney general's office. Once the dealership got served, my frame magically arrived within 5 days and work started.

#22 ·
I would not be surprised if parts will be found to be bad even though there were no problems before - i'd say stealership is trying to get some $$ back for all that work. I am very concerned about them trying to scam me into buying parts that hadn't had problems before, but supposedly are bad not :(

#23 ·
Update..

Talked to service manager. He stated my delay was due to brake lines being on back order, not the transmission mount as I was originally told. Next he told me that Toyota is doing this VOLUNTARILY out of the goodness of their heart and not because of a Transportation board directive. He said GM had as similar issue and told their customers to pound dirt. I'm not sure how that is relevant to my issue but I'm guessing it was meant to make me feel good about what a great job Toyota is doing for me. Next he said my rack is not leaking because of a seal issue as the service rep stated, but due to rust. In looking around on the forum, that does seem to be a reoccurring issue with these trucks.

In the end he said he could do nothing for me besides replacing the rack at cost - approx 400$ (down from the 900$ the rep first quoted). He said he talked to the regional Toyota rep and they will not pay for the rack. They are also charging me for the mount - $161. I asked if there was as appeals process with Toyota and he gave me a 1-800 #. I called late this afternoon at filed a complaint. Apparently I'm to be contacted by a case worker in 1 business day.

I'm more than a little frustrated at this point. I understand that the truck is 10 years old, but I would have probably kept driving with the rusty frame or sold the truck had I know it was going to be this expensive to get a recall done. The other pisser is that I have a Avalon that I understand are now being recalled due to a steering rack problem. Fool me once, shame on you..... I'll sell the Avalon before I go through this again.

Oh what a feeling!

#26 ·

I visit another site that is mainly for Tacomas and Toyota has replaced a lot of Gen. 1 Tacoma frames.

It sounded weird at first ... but it is SOP for them to do it ... (liability & safe reasons) ... I would guess.

Amazing how fast frames rust when subjected to road salts .... and amazing how great frames look after several years when no road salts or sea air is present.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.