Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just had a general service on my 07 Tacoma and they mentioned that my frame was perforated. They said it should be covered under warantee, but they weren't able to do that kind of service at that location. Long story short, i went to another relatively local service center and they were able to take pictures and send them to Toyota. This was Friday of last week. Today, (Wednesday) i received a call from them saying Toyota would not cover a frame replacement as it's seemingly an isolated incident. The service center guy recommended i call Toyota customer service center and get a conversation started.

Anyone have any advice or experience when dealing with corporate?

I have a 7 year old truck that wont pass inspection and i cant afford a 12000 frame replacement!

·
Registered
734 Posts
A few years back, a friend had a 2000 Tacoma. Had a perforated frame, Toyota Bought it back from him. He didn't get rich, but I think they gave him KBB retail on it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey guys,

Just had a general service on my 07 Tacoma and they mentioned that my frame was perforated. They said it should be covered under warantee, but they weren't able to do that kind of service at that location. Long story short, i went to another relatively local service center and they were able to take pictures and send them to Toyota. This was Friday of last week. Today, (Wednesday) i received a call from them saying Toyota would not cover a frame replacement as it's seemingly an isolated incident. The service center guy recommended i call Toyota customer service center and get a conversation started.

Anyone have any advice or experience when dealing with corporate?

I have a 7 year old truck that wont pass inspection and i cant afford a 12000 frame replacement!
You've got to be kidding! Toyota recently sent out frame recall letters for 2005-2009 Tacomas covering the North East States. PA is in the list. Read more here: 2005-2009 frame recall letter - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this.

I called Toyota Customer Experience (the consumer front end to corporate) and relayed my situation after the dealer got the no-go. The next day (today) i recieved a call essentially stating what i was expecting: that Toyota has a program in place that is limited and rolling out to vin ranges (of which, my vin is not included). She worded the official response to indicate be patient and wait for Toyota to contact owners when their vin is up for inspection/recall.

She wouldn't directly acknowledge campaign E0D, but essentially confirmed that this was the holdup (in my situation/state).

I asked if there were any ways that i could expedite the vin rollout, or if there were any other resources i should/could pursue. She reiterated that this was Toyota's official stance until (E0D) my vin range is selected for inspection/remediation.

Additionally, she stated that being that i have a hole in my frame, that if i choose to have it repaired prior to any official word from Toyota, to save any receipts so that i may be reimbursed "when" Toyota approves the recall.

Folks like me in PA (maybe elsewhere) are in a holding pattern until campaign E0D is approved in my state. I wrote my Attorney General and copied my regional office to ask that they acknowledge this issue and expedite a resolution to E0D.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Hey to all, I just had my frame replaced on my 2005 Tundra double cab...it took about four years from when I first heard it was coming. Well yesterday the same tech who did my Tundra says; Hey do you know any one with a Tacoma? 2005-2008 are getting a recall for frame rust and replacement.....Keep calling, be a respectful pain.... Good Luck. CSM-H

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey to all, I just had my frame replaced on my 2005 Tundra double cab...it took about four years from when I first heard it was coming. Well yesterday the same tech who did my Tundra says; Hey do you know any one with a Tacoma? 2005-2008 are getting a recall for frame rust and replacement.....Keep calling, be a respectful pain.... Good Luck. CSM-H
Correct. See Post #3 above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All,

Received the letter in the mail last week. The LSC is rolling out in PA. Dropped off my Tacoma today at the dealer for frame replacement. Toyota is also covering control arms, which should save us about $1000! The Service advisor that i worked with said it should be around $300 in parts outside of what Toyota typically warranties.

good luck to you guys! I'll let you know how it goes

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
All,

Received the letter in the mail last week. The LSC is rolling out in PA. Dropped off my Tacoma today at the dealer for frame replacement. Toyota is also covering control arms, which should save us about $1000! The Service advisor that i worked with said it should be around $300 in parts outside of what Toyota typically warranties.

good luck to you guys! I'll let you know how it goes
Should not cost a penny. My 2005 was 100% covered, new frame, cross members, lower control arms, rear springs, bushings, spare tire carrier assembly, all nuts & bolts, brake fluid, anti freeze, lube job, gear oil, and a 4 wheel alignment. They reinstalled my air bags and lift and put everything back the way it was. Rides like new now.
Gave me a loaner car. Started it on a Monday AM and it was ready to pick up Tuesday AM.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My '07 Taco Access Cab, V6, 4x4 was diagnosed with a perforated frame late this past May. (2015) I live in Rhode Island. The truck has 62,000 miles on it. They told me it would take 3 to 4 months to get the new frame. I'm still waiting for word from the dealer.

My last Taco ('95) had the same problem. Toyota bought that one back. Problem for me was, I had sold the truck the year before, SO..the new owner made a cool $3800. over what he'd paid for it. Oh Well....:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
My '07 Taco Access Cab, V6, 4x4 was diagnosed with a perforated frame late this past May. (2015) I live in Rhode Island. The truck has 62,000 miles on it. They told me it would take 3 to 4 months to get the new frame. I'm still waiting for word from the dealer.
The wait on my frame ('05 Tacoma) was similar and it needed new PA inspection to be legally driven. The dealer was hesitant to give me a rental car for such a long time so I contacted Toyota corporate... ended up with a rental car for 3 months. The entire ordeal probably cost Toyota almost double what my truck is actually worth.

So if your truck needs inspection in Rhode Island make sure you get yourself a rental...

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 2007 Taco went in to the dealer yesterday for the frame change out. They showed me a Taco in the shop undergoing the procedure. Impressive. It looks like a BIG Job. The factory allows the dealer 40 hours to do it. Two guys working. Mine will be finished ..:"well into next week". My truck has 62,000+ miles on it.

They gave me a "Loaner" to drive in the meantime: A 2016 Camry LE with 72 miles on the odometer. I'm good with that. We just bought a NEW 2014.5 Camry SE (W/Paddle shifters) last December from the same dealer. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got the truck back today: There is a LOT of new shiny stuff under there. I don't know the names of all the suspension components that were replaced....but there was MUCH more stuff replaced than just the chassis. All the steel brake (hydraulic) lines were replaced. They replaced the rear leaf springs under a separate recall. They offered to replace the rear shocks at my cost ($197). I took the offer. ......So Far... I am Impressed. TG :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Got the truck back today: There is a LOT of new shiny stuff under there. I don't know the names of all the suspension components that were replaced....but there was MUCH more stuff replaced than just the chassis. All the steel brake (hydraulic) lines were replaced. They replaced the rear leaf springs under a separate recall. They offered to replace the rear shocks at my cost ($197). I took the offer. ......So Far... I am Impressed. TG :)
Rear leaf springs you got are not the recall springs yet. You got the TSB leafs in there until the recall leafs are available in the first half of 2016. And yes, you should have new LCAs, brake lines, etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had a follow up problem to the chassis change...with the Air Bag light coming on ...and the horn wouldn't work. The dealer took care of it with a second replacement of the "Spiral Cable". Good.

New thoughts: The factory Toyota Trailer Hitch was NOT replaced. The hitch was/is just as rusty as the old frame. They re-bolted the Old Hitch with shiny new bolts to the new frame.

Should I remove the old hitch myself, and de-rust and repaint and re-install it myself. (I'm 74 years old)... OR: Should I ask the dealer to remove it FOR me, so I can de-rust it, paint it, and then have them re-install it...OR..have them Replace the original rusty Toyota Hitch with a NEW Toyota Hitch replacement....at my expense. I could maybe even croak before I figure this out..:D

The bottom line: In my mind. The RUSTY HITCH doesn't work with the shiny new frame.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've seen a lot of complaints about the hitch not getting replaced. The choice is all yours. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Moose for your reply: I KNEW THAT when I posted.....Don't know if I will follow up..as I don't need the hitch any more. No need for towing. I Sold The DONZI.

Next question: Will this NEW FRAME increase the value of my truck Vs a truck without the new chassis...?...at resale....:) TG

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Spend my time on Toyota Nation (TN) because not too many still use TS here for the Tacoma and TN is anotherAutoGuide forum like TS.

Anyway, I would think the value is better in that you no longer have a rusty frame. Put two Tacomas for sale next to each other, one with a rusty frame and one without, and you know which one is worth more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts