Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new to us 2001 Sequoia from a less than honest dealer here in Washington State. Not being in the rust belt, I did not notice the frame rust when crawling under the front of the vehicle to check for leaks. Once home I dropped the spare tire to my horror found SERIOUS rust. The Seq spent the first 8 years at least in the rust belt (Mass.)

My wife takes the car into our local dealer tomorrow to start the frame replacement journey (initial inspection)....I have climbed under there and found holes bigger than the 10mm minimum Toyota requires, so I am sure it will fall under the service campaign. I am wondering what else they will try to upsell me, and if the hitch will be covered as it is just as rusted as the frame.. I guess we shall find out, I will update this post as new developments arise... wish us luck!

The two larger holes are right behind the front suspension where the frame "drops down" and levels out, the other pictures are of the rear cross member holding the spare tire up, and the pictures of the rust in the gravel are just what I used a putty knife to scrape off the rear cross member, back 1' of frame and the hitch...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2003 Seq, my best advice is to search this forum and the other Toyota Forums for some background. Then, interview several dealers, there is a big variance in how they handle it.

This recall is a moneymaker for them on just the recall..they get 40 hrs of labor from Toyota, a good tech with experience with the recall can do it in 20. Some dealers push new parts others don't. Mine had about 75,000 miles so pretty low miles. The first dealer I went to said some people pay a few hundred and others a few thousand> The second dealer said most are free..guess who I went to?

You get a free rental or dealer demo car. Toyota's official policy is that any parts broken in the process are on the owner. I'm in NJ so the dealers here have done a lot of them, don't know about your area.

So shop dealers is my best advice..ask how many they have done, let them know that you are talking to other dealers maybe. and I think this recall is up this summer so I would not delay.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Toyota's official policy is that any parts broken in the process are on the owner.
Are you sure about this?... I dont think this is the case....It depends on WHAT parts may be broken... ie. there is a parts kit, mostly hardware, clamps and odds & ends that come with the frames, paid for by corporate. If you look at the kit list, its small stuff, but quite extensive, and adds up to some decent $$. I think a lot of dealers re-use old, broken parts when they can, then add the kit leftovers to their inventory so they can make $$ on them later, OR bull-sh!t the customer to pay for it, so they essentially get paid twice, by corporate AND the customer for the same parts...IF they even replace them.

Also, I know on my '00, when the frame was replaced, they couldnt get the LCAs unbolted to swap over, so my PO got new ones, with new cam hardware, on Toyota's dime...

This is why it is important to document your frame both before and after the replacement...Too many opportunities for the dealers to take shortcuts and screwover both Toyota corporate AND the customer when doing this service campaign.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nate, good luck with the process. I'm sure it will work out in the end.

Hey...any of you guys know why newer year model 1st Gen Sequoia's haven't been included in this recall (or maybie they are). I lucked out with my 07. It was originally an Oklahoma vehicle. I'm just curious if Toyota did anything different to the frames on these newer model Sequoia 1st Gens. If they didn't, than logic would seem to be that they will come out with another one of these recalls a few years down the road as Sequoia's such as my 07 start to rust out.

Just curious more than anything else if they are different treated frames from Totota.

Thriller

1 - 6 of 6 Posts