Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I am a new poster here. I am in the market for a Tundra, but have been alerted to the fact that a lot of Tundras are experiencing frame weld rusting. I understand the frames are made by Dana and they use silicon in the welding (mig?) wire. The silicon prevents the welds from achieving adhesion when the frame is dipped into rust-proofing solutions. The rest of the frame apparently is OK, but the welds where the silicon is won't allow adhesion.

What are members of the forum experiencing in this regard? How serious is it? Is it on a par with the problems of earlier model Tacos? I am looking for a good dependable truck and in the winter our roads are salted heavily. I can just imagine what the undercarriage would look like in about 3 winters.

I am impressed with Toyota quality and reliability. I have an '05 Toyota Sienna and it's a rock. I'd like to think Toyota would be on top of the frame weld problems. Your comments are welcome!

Hyspeedz

· Registered
7,327 Posts
havent heard anyting on the big T frame's rusting...only the tacos....

· Registered
196 Posts
Hi...I am a new poster here. I am in the market for a Tundra, but have been alerted to the fact that a lot of Tundras are experiencing frame weld rusting. I understand the frames are made by Dana and they use silicon in the welding (mig?) wire. The silicon prevents the welds from achieving adhesion when the frame is dipped into rust-proofing solutions. The rest of the frame apparently is OK, but the welds where the silicon is won't allow adhesion.

What are members of the forum experiencing in this regard? How serious is it? Is it on a par with the problems of earlier model Tacos? I am looking for a good dependable truck and in the winter our roads are salted heavily. I can just imagine what the undercarriage would look like in about 3 winters.

I am impressed with Toyota quality and reliability. I have an '05 Toyota Sienna and it's a rock. I'd like to think Toyota would be on top of the frame weld problems. Your comments are welcome!

Hyspeedz
The underside of my '07 has rust at every joint, every weld.
That is one of the things which has convinced me I will not be keeping this otherwise excellent truck nearly as long as I had planned.

I had Jeeps, I had Chevys, my SIL had a Tacoma rot from beneath him... this '07 Tundra has a good start on the rot.:mad:

· Registered
4,122 Posts
all gen2 owner's, go to any auto parts section or store and buy a case o've undercoat.
and spray the heck out of the under carriage. frame, body etc.
BUT:
1st show the dealership, than open a claim up with toyota , than make a appointment with your dealership when the corp. rep. show's up that 1 day a month to show the corp. rep. all the rust. see what they have to say. it is only going to get worse.

than tell them what you are doing.
maybe they will do it for you for free.
it can only help, but in time, it still might rust completely through.
frame rust is bad real bad.
gorilla

· Registered
1,261 Posts
It will be more obvious with trucks up north due to salt on roads for ice, then south.

If it is a problem, dealers and Toyota need to take care of us.

That is main reason for me buying this truck, I thought it was going to be dependable and TOYOTA take care of us if real problem arose.

If this frame rust is real, there will probably be layers involved like the oil gelling of old.

Any productive comments on this??

· Registered
1,541 Posts
I really hope rust won't be a huge problem for our trucks. I do have some rust on the frame of the truck and the undercarriage. Here are a couple of photos I took. The rust looks really bad in the first shot, but it's not as bad in the second shot. My truck has been through one winter. I live near Toronto, Canada. My truck is a lease and will see two more winters before the lease is up. The condition of the underside will determine if I keep it or hand it back.

June 2008 (right after spraying with rust inhibitor)

October 2008

· Premium Member
15 Posts
Just went outside to look to see if my frame welds were rusting. My truck is only two months old with 2900 miles, and so far no rust. Paint seems to be adhering to the welds. Interesting issue that might be a concern to those living in areas where they salt the roads.

· Registered
75 Posts
This situation is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I just sold my F-250 due to rust after only 65,000 miles. I replaced all brake lines, rotors and a rear diff cover due to the crap they spew on these roads every time it snows. Maine is tough on vehcles. I looked under the new Ford, GM and Toyota trucks and I was impressed with Toyota. The coatings, chip guards and plastic covers on all frame parts and brake lines is the main reason I bought my 08 DC LTD.

I drive about 4000 miles a month so rather than keeping this truck for several years, I will plan on trading in a year or two.

· Premium Member
2,432 Posts
This situation is exactly what I wanted to avoid. I just sold my F-250 due to rust after only 65,000 miles. I replaced all brake lines, rotors and a rear diff cover due to the crap they spew on these roads every time it snows. Maine is tough on vehcles. I looked under the new Ford, GM and Toyota trucks and I was impressed with Toyota. The coatings, chip guards and plastic covers on all frame parts and brake lines is the main reason I bought my 08 DC LTD.

I drive about 4000 miles a month so rather than keeping this truck for several years, I will plan on trading in a year or two.
When I was out looking at other trucks before I bought my Tundra, I was amazed how few of the other brands coat their undercarriages. Toyota is by far the most thorough in terms of undercarriage coating. Whether or not it will hold up to salted roads is another story. If you live in an area where it snows and they use calcium chloride on the roadways in the winter, you will get rust on eventually anything - painted or not. All it takes is one scratch or exposed bolt hole and the rust will creep under anything coated. Fortunately for us Oregonians, we don't get any salt on our roads. Out here they use environmentally friendly liquid de-icer that doesn't appear to cause any harm to exposed metals.

· Registered
4,122 Posts
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i would have a serious issue ,if that was my truck.
i would take picture's , and contact toyota.
if they do nothing contact the new's, and all TV show's, such as truck's, etc.
and
let them know of this, bad news travels very fast.
they will hopefully resolve it for you.

no matter where you live a 08 shouldn't look like that.
unless you sunk it in the ocean for 6 months or more.

i honestly, would drop the truck off at the dealership, until they fixed it.
or
make up a huge vinyl graphic , saying please don't buy a toyota tundra ,look under my truck ,it's a 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gorilla

· Registered
971 Posts
Just wondering if any of you had gotten your trucks undercoated before you took delivery of them? I had my 05 Tundra undercoated at the dealer when it was new and have gone through three winters and although there is a wee bit of rust on the frame in a few places it is minimal considering it has been through three winters. I didn't get my last truck undercoated from new and it rusted a LOT quicker. I have to take it in to the dealer once a year for the undercoating inspection and they touch it up or even re-do under warranty if needed at no extra charge. BUT if I forget and skip a yearly inspection then I lose the undercoating warranty. If you live in an area with lots of road salt in winter I highly recommend getting your new vehicles undercoated.:)

· Registered
229 Posts
Seadragon, if that were my truck (not leased) I would take it to a Krown shop and have them treat it. The one on the Queensway in Etobicoke is the one I used to go to. I am tempted to drive my truck up there from NC to get it done. You can also contact the APA (Automobile Protection Association) up there in Ontario and see what they recommend.

· Registered
1,541 Posts
Seadragon, if that were my truck (not leased) I would take it to a Krown shop and have them treat it. The one on the Queensway in Etobicoke is the one I used to go to. I am tempted to drive my truck up there from NC to get it done. You can also contact the APA (Automobile Protection Association) up there in Ontario and see what they recommend.
Thanks for the tip fla_guy. I think I am going to get it undercoated with something. The Toyota dealer does Sym-Tech. I had it on my old Highlander and it held up very well.

· Registered
3 Posts
As a 2001 Tundra owner who is having a nightmare with undercarriage rust, I would strongly recommend that you look elsewhere. I thought I was buying Toyota reliability but they have not stood behind their product and I've gotten nowhere with the dealership and/or Toyota corporate.

· Registered
753 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen any vehicle from any maker hold up to frequently salted roads in states with hard winters. The state of South Dakota doesn't use salt all that often, but after every snow I make it a point to wash the underside of my truck thoroughly to prevent rust. So far it has worked, as I have no rust at all on the underside of my 2007.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.