Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in construction and have lots of tools I need to keep handy in the back of my truck. I recently got a contract out of town, I stay overnight at a motel, and I can't keep my eyes on my stuff.

Long story short, I needed a cover and fast.

I used freecycle.org, which is a site where you can get stuff for free, and asked if somebody had a cap or toneau cover they didn't want anymore.

Luckily a guy gave me his cap, unfortunately, it was from a Ford Ranger. It was too short, too narrow and too low for the Tundra.

I fixed all three problems with 2x6s, one down each side rail and one across the top. I used L shaped anchors to attach the 2x6s to the stake pockets (these are generally used to attach walls to poured concrete slabs).

I'm going to be putting some black foam stripping around the front of the cap to take up the space between the cab and the cap.

At the back of the cap, the door is a little high, so I'll be using a strip of rubber which is for a garage door, its a couple inches so it should do the trick.

I'm going to round off the edges of the 2x6s and paint them black to match the truck.

I took the truck through a touchless car wash to see how much water would get into the back, there wasn't much, a little expansion foam and caulking should do the trick.

I honestly thought the cap would like like complete crap, but it doesn't look too bad.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/40969/ppuser/69367

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/40968/ppuser/69367

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
Yay Tundra_Hick! It looks fine. :tu: Do you say, Frankencap, or Frawnkencap? :D (It's from "Young Frankenstein.")

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
Yes, it's definitely a Frawnkencap. It looks much better than expected. I was ready for Poltercap. You're sure that thing is going to stay on there, right?

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's definitely a Frawnkencap. It looks much better than expected. I was bracing for a Poltercap. You're sure that thing is going to stay on there, right?
No, I'm not sure...lol

I keep checking it to make sure it hasn't gone anywhere.

The cap is held to the 2x6s by four clamps and four screws, so that part is safe.

Its level with the roof of the truck, so its not catching a lot of wind, and the truck handles fine with it on. I don't even notice its there. It is a little tall in the rear. The car was said max was 7ft, it might be an inch taller, so I won't be using underground parking anytime soon.

I have also inspected the bolts that affix the 2x6s to the bed, and they haven't moved anywhere.

Somebody on this site suggested the 2x6 across the top of the bed, it has two L brackets with six screws connecting it to the side rails. That was a good call, it doesn't allow the 2x6s on the side rails to flex or slip sideways.

If its not secure, then somebody on the highway is going to get one helluva shock. lol

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
It sounds like good engineering overkill to me. I'd check it daily for a week or 2, to get a good idea of how it will behave. It sure is nice to have tool protection. Free is nice too. Thanks for the pics!

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
whats all that white stuff on the ground? Was in the upper 70's here yesterday!

Shell looks ok and the price is right! Keep it and paint it so it blends in.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats all that white stuff on the ground? Was in the upper 70's here yesterday!

Shell looks ok and the price is right! Keep it and paint it so it blends in.
Upper 70s! Quiet you! Damn windchill was -31 not too long ago!

Paint the cap?

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought I just give a little FrankenCap update.

After many miles on back roads/trails, the cap was a little worse for wear.

The L-shaped bolts which hold the 2x6s to the stake pockets popped out in the front, so I shoved some pieces of board down the pockets to keep them in properly and retightened.

The cap has been leaking like crazy, so I puts some caulking on where the cap meets the 2x6s.

While inside the back I noticed cracks on the right and left side of the cap, so they got a dab of caulking too.

I'm not entirely sure this cap will see the end of summer. lol

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Titebond comes in a water proof formula! Should work great!
I started to suggest the waterproof duct tape but thought better of it. It comes in a variety of colors.

Franken cap will last a couple of more years
Gorrila glue is 2 messy for this application.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On paved roads maybe, but where I've been working is pretty rough.

The 2x6s will probably split next or the crack in the cap will get bigger.

Either way I hope to replace it with a new cap by the end of the summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts