Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This project was quite easy and took about three hours to complete. Tools needed to perform work where: A power drill, dremel, 2” and a 1” wire wheel, buffer wheel, polish, masking tape and a can of high temp engine paint.
Note: I tried using paint thinner to remove paint, but had no such luck. However using a clean cloth apply a small amount of thinner and use to wipe off paint dust that will still cling to metal after grinding it off.
ENJOY!
The start. My stock TB cover:

After complete strip down of the paint:

Polished and buffed… Ready for masking and paint:

Masking… What fun!

First coat of paint:

Finished product:

Comparing of the two old design and new:

Installed TB cover:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Looks good:tu: Wouldn't do me any good though, my cover is plastic. I would have to paint it silver to look like that.:(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks Great Dave!!

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
That's a serious masking job. I did something similar and wanted to strangle someone after my 3rd attempt at masking off those letters!

Nice work! :tu:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Great job! I wish mine wasn't plastic. As a side note, I think you could polish the rest of the cover pretty easily. It looks similar to how my old ZX-7 looked when I started polishing the frame by hand. It only took some 1000 - 2000 grit wet sandpaper (progressively) and then some polish and a buffing pad. I think it looks great as it is now, but thought I would through this out there if you have a free weekend and nothing to do.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
On a side note, I think it would look killer in that crinkled red Ferrari's have on their heads...:)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Looks sweet man, is that a self made intake or an aftermarket?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks sweet man, is that a self made intake or an aftermarket?
It is an aftermarket S&B CAI. I'm going to be modding it as well to fit my style of wheeling;)
cool...nice job. Did you put clear over to prevent rust? Or is it Alum?
Good call, no i did not. With a baby boy at the house i have limited time to do much work. This project took me weeks to get to as it is lol. However you make a good point and i should do that asap...thank you
Looks good:tu: Wouldn't do me any good though, my cover is plastic. I would have to paint it silver to look like that.:(
Thank you! Yours is plastic? Can you post a picture of it? did the first gen come with that option?
On a side note, I think it would look killer in that crinkled red Ferrari's have on their heads...:)
Hey Frank ill have to check that out. Maybe i could do mine in a blue or silver;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice job! How the heck did you get that masking tape so even between the ridges???? That is probably the most intricate masking job I have seen......

I once did something slightly similar on my old 76 Celica. But instead of masking off the base, I put old lipstick (NOT MINE!) all over the raised parts, then painted. After the paint dried, I just washed the part in hot water. That melted the lipstick and the paint on the raised parts came off leaving the shiny metal underneath. Could probably use chapstick too to make the job a bit more....manly! :)

Rob

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job! How the heck did you get that masking tape so even between the ridges???? That is probably the most intricate masking job I have seen......

I once did something slightly similar on my old 76 Celica. But instead of masking off the base, I put old lipstick (NOT MINE!) all over the raised parts, then painted. After the paint dried, I just washed the part in hot water. That melted the lipstick and the paint on the raised parts came off leaving the shiny metal underneath. Could probably use chapstick too to make the job a bit more....manly! :)

Rob
Haha, thank you. Lipstick huh? You must have watched tons of MacGyver (SP?) in the 90’s. Basically all that I did was mask of the cover and used my finger nail to shape out the raised surfaces than took my boot knife and etched around the lettering and lines. I would suggest using a razor, but I cut the letters out while on my lunch break at work, so my knife is all I had;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts