Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the rear drums and rotors and wheel cylinders on my 02 Tundra 2 wheel drive w/4.7 engine.

After bleeding all 4 brakes (replaced with dot4 fluid) I took it for a spin. Now the front brakes (never touched other than bleeding brakes) shimmy bad when braking. Took the front tires off and saw the retainer clip that goes down the middle of rotors was flipped up instead of down like it should be. Placed them back down as supposed to be replaced the tires and test drove it and same issue! Rotors and pads look fine. I’m at a loss here and appreciate any help I can get.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
You said you replaced the drums, but did you replace the front rotors also? If not, then they can become warped over time and cause the issue you are describing. They're relatively inexpensive anymore so I would replace them with new ones if you have much wear on them. Do the pads at the same time. Hope that helps some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with conk on this one. Front rotors sound like they are warped. I just bought some rotors for my truck at SP Performance in the spring and they are great. I went with the slotted option, but they also have stock ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I replaced the front brake pads and hardware since the post. I also checked to see if the wheel bearings may be loose on the front and both seem good. Rotors are new. I also had the tires rotatated and rebalanced. Had the front tires moved to the rear (against Costco’s advice but had to validate it wasn’t a wheel causing the problem too) and still the same issue. I’m usually not to bad with solving mechanical problems but this has me stumped!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd have the whole front end looked at. Steering linkages, idler, ball joints, ect. Just to rull them out. Sounds overkill, but you never know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree Cyndonian. I’ve done everything I can think of thus far. I’ve made an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow. I’ll let you all know the results once I found out. Thx everyone for help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts