Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Im getting ready to drive my 07 CM cross country and them up to Alaska and want to do what I can to protect it. I've been thinking about purchasing the clear plastic/vinyl wrap that covers the front and the front half of the hood for help against bugs and small rocks doing unwanted damage to my baby. Anyone have an opinion or experience on whether this is something worth investing in? They are on ebay and arent too expensive. Also, Im unsure of how complicated they are to install/stick on? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Chuck

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's a must in this part of the world. I have it on the Tundra and our Camry. I didn't have it on my old truck and seriously regretted it. I had it installed by the dealer before delivery so I can't comment on how hard it is to install but it looks like a very frustrating job. It is important to get it lined up perfectly and you have to get all the air bubbles out or it looks like crap. Good luck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think I recall a company (Diamondite possibly) that made a product specifically for this purpose. I believe it was called Bug Blocker. You wiped it on, drove to the destination, hosed it off. I am sure you might could Google it to see if it could be had locally or through an online vendor of detailing products.

Not sure if I am reading your post correctly or not - my suggestion above is for temporary bug protection. Just wanted to clarify that.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
It'll be the best investment you can make for your truck. My 07 front end still looks like the day I bought it, not a single scratch. I have the 3M Clear Bra.

Install is pretty simple, just time consuming. You'll need a heat gun, a spray bottle with soapy water and a small 3M squeegee. Clean the hood, wash it and clay it, then spray the hood with the soapy water, use a lot. Peel off the pre cut piece of film and spray it as well. Lay the film across the hood or which ever area youre covering. Line up the edges of the film evenly with the hood, then start to squeegee one side to hold it in place. Once its taken hold on the edge begin to squeegee the rest of the piece until all the bubbles are out. If it lays crocked, you can just peel it up, spray it again and take another shot at it. When youre finished with one piece, heat it up to help it bond. When the whole job is finished, park the truck in the sun for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the 3M clearbra on mine and a hood protector. My clearbra was put on by a truck accessory dealer so I can't comment on ease of install. It covers all the front painted parts (my limited has the color matched bumper), the headlights, and fog lights. After 25,000 miles and 3-years I dont have any chips on my truck. Highly recommended. :tu: I also put aluminum grating behind my grill to protect the radiator. The Tundra grill has huge openings and some pretty big objects could get through.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I am now definitely going to invest in the clear bra film. As far as the aluminum grating goes, it sounds like a good idea "blueflash", but can you describe how you installed it and what exactly you used. Maybe when I get mine if I have enough time on my hands, I'll post a DIY thread for it. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It'll be the best investment you can make for your truck. My 07 front end still looks like the day I bought it, not a single scratch. I have the 3M Clear Bra.

Install is pretty simple, just time consuming. You'll need a heat gun, a spray bottle with soapy water and a small 3M squeegee. Clean the hood, wash it and clay it, then spray the hood with the soapy water, use a lot. Peel off the pre cut piece of film and spray it as well. Lay the film across the hood or which ever area youre covering. Line up the edges of the film evenly with the hood, then start to squeegee one side to hold it in place. Once its taken hold on the edge begin to squeegee the rest of the piece until all the bubbles are out. If it lays crocked, you can just peel it up, spray it again and take another shot at it. When youre finished with one piece, heat it up to help it bond. When the whole job is finished, park the truck in the sun for the rest of the day.
Hey JJ, you forgot to mention one important step. You have to spray a rubbing alcohol solution to help disperse the soap solution and to activate the adhesion just as you're getting ready to squeegee. It won't adhere otherwise (I know that you know this though, for the benefit of the OP).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess my only other question at this point is is the wrap removable or is it a permanent adherence? Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I guess my only other question at this point is is the wrap removable or is it a permanent adherence? Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks
The good stuff can be removed after a couple years without damaging the paint, but you should consider it permanent because it basically disappears once its on and it does a great job protecting the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Love mine!

But next time I will install it myself. It's not that hard.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 2010 came with it from dealer and I really like it. It's the 3M good stuff. They also put it under my door handles and some on rear fenders, and door edges. Looks like it will do a good job and you cant even see its there unless you look for it

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey JJ, you forgot to mention one important step. You have to spray a rubbing alcohol solution to help disperse the soap solution and to activate the adhesion just as you're getting ready to squeegee. It won't adhere otherwise (I know that you know this though, for the benefit of the OP).

Doh!! Youre right, I forgot to stick that in there. Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I put the 3M film on as well ... I have pretty extensive experience in the auto body field which helped ... you need 2 spray bottles one with a few drops of johnsons baby shampoo/water and another with rubbing alcohol/water ... I found it to be a moderatly difficult job to do it right.

I would rate it fairly easy for a pretty handy person if it werent for the hood, the difference in elevation from the middle of our hoods to the outter edges make it difficult to do 100% correctly (I ended up using a hair dryer to heat it up to get it to fit into that area easier), if it were flat like alot of hoods I would say a patient handy person could learn to do fairly quick,

I never have anything done by shops because I am stubborn and cheap/poor lol, so yeah I did my own and I can say it came out very well, I did post some link to video's on here back in early 2008 so you could prolly find those with some searching.

No idea on removal however I am sure it would come off alot easier than it was to put on, I think it took me 2 hours to get the hood on right, the fenders and under headlights is easy, I started with my hood so when I did those, I was like wow this is simple, but prolly because the hood seemed so complex in comparison.

I did mine myself, perhaps the hood would be easier with another person, maybe .... make sure your car is in a warm place, I would say above 70 to 75 degree's or more, I did mine and it was cold in the shop, maybe 60 degree's and it did make it more difficult because of shrinkage/touchness of the 3M film, made it harder to stretch.

I did notice some slight scratches in it after I was done because of the contstant use of the squeegy ... I used some swirl remover and some cleaner wax and they come right out, its sort of like paint in that respect, just alot thicker.

Mine has been on since I think about march of 2008 and its still perfect, it does not lift and it does protect against collision with small stones because of the thickness of the stuff, I notice no damage on my front end where the 3M film is present and I am in the Pittsbugh PA area and they use alot of rock salt here.

I think i paid $65 for the front kit back then on Ebay, so yeah its a whole lot cheaper to do it yourself, thats why I took a chance, I think the going rate back then was around $400 to have it done.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is not my truck but is essentially what I did behind my grill. I got the aluminum mesh at Home Depot. Instead of bolting it I used plastic cable ties to secure it to the grill. From the front it looks like it's meant to be there and actually makes the grill look better IMO. It does a good job of keeping big ugly bugs out too.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again for all the replies and info from previous experiences. I started clay barring and waxing the area where the wrap will go which I purchased on ebay yesterday. BlueFlash, thanks for the reply on the mesh material behind the grill, I think I will go ahead with that as well since I heard the roads can be pretty hard on the front of vehicles in Alaska. I do already have some knicks and minor damage to the front of my truck from bugs and rocks, but hopefully the wrap will preserve the rest until I have my truck repainted someday. Thanks again and I will try to post pics when I install.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Anyone in the Fort Worth area have the clear bra? Where did you get it installed? I can't find anyone that wants to touch it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts