Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front diff has started pouring fluid out from where the cv connects into the front diff on the drivers side and the cv feels really loose so im thinking the bearing that the cv rides in has gone out, anyone have a part number for said bearing? Already know im going to have to take the front diff apart to replace the bearing so im thinking about re-gearing while i have it apart also.thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
If youre opening up the case, you should replace both carrier bearings, as well as both needle bearings. Carrier bearings are about $35 ea, needle bearings about $43 ea. You'll also more than likely have to replace the plate washers as well. Those arent too expensive, but the problem is you wont know what thickness you'll need till you start assembling the carrier, and adjusting the backlash with the new bearings. And they will be almost impossible to find locally. Even the dealers dont usually stock them...They usually just stick it to customers, and push for replacing the whole differential as a unit, rather than rebuilding. So unless you know how to setup gears, and have the necessary tools (dial indicators for sure), I hope you're budgeting enough to have a qualified shop do the work. You COULD always just replace the drivers side seal and needle bearing, without opening the diff, and then hope for the best.... As to part numbers, if you have a 2000-2004, this page will have the numbers: 2003 Toyota Tundra 43-01 Front Axle Housing & Differential Parts And here's the diagram: ILLUST NO. 1 OF 2 ----- (9902- )UCK4#,VCK40

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive got a buddy who's a toyota mechanic who has done alot of the tacoma front diffs which are supposedly the same as 01 tundras? And thanks for the part numbers and a heads up on working on the diff and what ill need, also with 35's im thinking of 4.88's

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
^^ Nice!...then you should be set...Like I said, least you should get then would be seals, carrier bearings, needle bearings, and possibly whatever bearing washers you end up needing. And yeah, its the same 7.5" clamshell diff as 1st & 2nd Gen Tacos, and 3rd, maybe 4th Gen 4runners... Basically '95.5-2005 or 2006)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2006 V8 Tundra has slack in the front axle (CV) bearings in the differential, I can move the drivers side CV up and down 1/8" and the passengers side CV about half as much. The truck is stock and has 157K miles on it. Is CV slack normal? There are no unusual noises or leaks, though the boots are throwing a little grease out from the large bands. The boots are intact. Is it possible to replace the CV bearings and seals without removing the differential? What is the procedure for replacing the bearings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I am a newer owner of a 2001 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 with 135K miles on it. Bought the truck from my son, it has been a money pit ever since. Too much to list here, but latest issue we are dealing with is leaking seals on the front differential that turned out to be worse. Drivers side axle bearing is shot, a bunch of movement in the CV axle is causing fluid to leak everywhere. Seal is shot, CV axle is shot, passenger side seal now bad. I bought CARQUEST CV Axle replacements for both sides plus the seals already. My mechanic friend usually works on domestic trucks and is not sure how to replace the bearing on this Tundra, told him I would research. Is there any way to replace the beading without total disassembly of the differential? If not, should the entire differential be rebuilt and by whom? What kind of price? I searched the site but can't seem to find an answer or procedures how to replace the bearing, couldn't find anything on youtube either.

Please Help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've driven mine another two years without fixing it and the differential still doesn't leak.
BTW, it might be useful if people who post comments about their differentials disclosed whether their suspension is modified.
I'm eager to tear into my 2006 front differential just as soon as I have access to the right information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Truck has a 3 inch Icon lift on it. Diff is leaking on both sides, drivers side has movement up and down, torn CV boot and is worn out (clicking). Passenger side seal is leaking. Cant hold off, gotta fix it. Trying to find a shop that will work on it, probably rebuild kit. Drivers side wheel bearing bad as well. Truck has been a money pit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well after investigation and talking to Toyota and a Trans shop in my area, they recommended finding a good used front diff carrier. New Toyota wants $2350! The trans shop said it's opening a can of worms if you crack open the diff and start replacing bearings saying it's cheaper to find a good used part and swap it out. I was lucky enough to find a used unit a town away at a used parts shop that they just got in and hadn't yet done an inventory on yet. Trying to get mileage on it, they don't have the key so can't power up to see mileage. They said the truck is clean but took a hit that totaled it. Will get a closer look later today. Hoping for the best. $350 for the unit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just regeared my Tundra and took the front diff out (easy) but a little heavy and awkward. Took the diff apart, also easy. The problem with buying a good used diff is you had a good used diff last year and now look at it. Buy the bearings and two seals and take it to someone who isn't afraid of worms. Then you will know what you have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts