Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Despite the username, I've got a 1st generation '02 Sequoia and I'm having trouble removing the allen bolts on the front differential. I've got the right size bolt key but my issue is that the bolts are kinda rusted out. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove them? PB Blaster?

Also - is there any kind of plastic plug that I could use to stick into the bolts that would prevent them from rusting out over time? I had my mechanic replace the fill and drain allen bolts a year or two ago. The issue? Day 1 they were nice and shiny - but two years later when I needed to unscrew them they've gotten all worn down from the road salt and whatnot. I'm wondering if I put some piece of plastic in there if it'd prevent the degradation of the bolts over time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
496 Posts
To remove them, try PB blaster then use heat on the nut as you try to loosen it. I assume the hex is not stripped. For future protection, you could try spraying it with plasti-dip, but I don't know how easy it is to peel out of the hex.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could also try a large pair of vice grips, usually gets a little more leverage that way. I know the allens can round out or feel like they're about to on stuck ones. Just put the vice grips on the outside of the plug and try to break it loose that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could also try a large pair of vice grips, usually gets a little more leverage that way. I know the allens can round out or feel like they're about to on stuck ones. Just put the vice grips on the outside of the plug and try to break it loose that way.
How would I go about doing this? The plugs are flush with the front differential.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To remove them, try PB blaster then use heat on the nut as you try to loosen it. I assume the hex is not stripped. For future protection, you could try spraying it with plasti-dip, but I don't know how easy it is to peel out of the hex.
Thanks for this suggestion. I think what I might do is superglue the allen sockets into the plugs and just put a plastic cap over the 3/8" or 1/2" drive part.

You're right - the hex is not stripped. But it sure feels like it might when applying torque!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to hit that with some air impact after some PB blasting. Are you using hand tools?
I am using hand tools. I could use an air impact to remove the drain bolt but unfortunately there's not enough clearance to get an impact tool up to the fill bolt. I certainly want to loosen the fill bolt before hitting the drain bolt with an impact wrench.

·
Registered
522 Posts
smart!

I should have thought to loosen the fill plug on my GFs Prius transmission before I loosed the drain plug. But I didn't. But it's not rusted. I can't get air impact into the fill plug area either so way to get the horse out in front of the cart there!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
smart!

I should have thought to loosen the fill plug on my GFs Prius transmission before I loosed the drain plug. But I didn't. But it's not rusted. I can't get air impact into the fill plug area either so way to get the horse out in front of the cart there!
Yikes! Best of luck with that! Is it a third gen Prius? I have done the transmission fluid change on mine but thankfully it wasn't rusted!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Its'a 2008 - second gen. I only drained the fluid so I can remove the half shaft. She has a torn CV boot. I had to rent a puller - so it's in limbo> I get to finish the job tonight after work! That is when I will access the fill plug - I'm sure it will come right off. I'm lucky it looks like the previous owner didn't drive this in the snow at all. Nothing was really rusted (the wheel bearing to steering knuckle was a little tough to get out but the big hammer did it in 3 whacks)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My bad, I must have been thinking of the rear or something, I thought there was about a quarter inch that stuck out. If you don't feel like the hex bit is going in tight you could also, as a somewhat last measure, hammer the bit into the end of the plug. Sometimes that can get it to bite a bit better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My bad, I must have been thinking of the rear or something, I thought there was about a quarter inch that stuck out. If you don't feel like the hex bit is going in tight you could also, as a somewhat last measure, hammer the bit into the end of the plug. Sometimes that can get it to bite a bit better.
No worries - yes the rear diff and the t-case are just standard 15/16" plugs that I put the socket over and twist off. I have tried the hammer thing before but I think my issue now is getting an impact wrench to fit in the fill hole area.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia 4x4 Limited
496 Posts
First, heat the drain plug with something like a mapp gas plumber's torch. Don't be stingy on heating it up. Repeatedly whack the drain plug with a hammer and blunt-ended rod while you apply torque on the allen wrench using a breaker bar. Have a helper do that if needed. Be careful not to get burned by touching the differential, which will have started to get hot.

If none of that works and you succeed in stripping the drain plug, you'll have to have a weld a nut to the drain plug to remove it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, heat the drain plug with something like a mapp gas plumber's torch. Don't be stingy on heating it up. Repeatedly whack the drain plug with a hammer and blunt-ended rod while you apply torque on the allen wrench using a breaker bar. Have a helper do that if needed. Be careful not to get burned by touching the differential, which will have started to get hot.

If none of that works and you succeed in stripping the drain plug, you'll have to have a weld a nut to the drain plug to remove it.

Thanks - I'll give this a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.