Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hearing a growling noise from the front end, could feel it a bit through the steering wheel. Thought it may be a bearing. Took it in last night after work.
I asked if I would get a loaner while they checked it out. I got one last time I had it checked out for something. Service writer said no not for this. I asked if you get one for the gas pedal fix and he said yes. So ok do that also. Got a Taco PR loaner. Glad I waited for the recall fix.
Anyway the guy calls this morning and tells me the front diff needs rebuilding. It should be done late tomorrow if the parts come in time. There is a TSB out on them. Don't recall reading about that here, so just in case others are hearing that type of noise this might help.
First problem I have had with my truck (aside from unichip induced cel's). What a difference stepping down to a pre runner. Cant wait to get my truck back. Oh its an 07 5.7 4x4 with 35,800 miles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Seadragon. I didnt use the right words on my search I guess. Thats a loong thread. Read the first 2 pages. Going back for more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Old thread but new problem to me.08 Tundra 30k
Started the car this morning and it was left on 4wD from yesterday eve, started the engine and switched to 2wd, took about 200 ft to switch to 2wd with 50F cold tranny.Dash light stayed in 4H untill I turned off and restarted the engine, even if 4wd disengaged with a loud thump.
Paranoid I tryed switching back and forth many times throughout the day while driving-30-40 mph on wet asphalt, No humming noises(not just yet), just a loud thump when returning to 2wd.
I don't mind the scary noise but I wouldn't like to get stranded in the desert while towing my toyhauler.
Any thoughts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
A thump is normal while changing from 2wd to 4wd and or 4wd to 2wd. I wouldn't worry about that, mine makes a thump, my brothers tundra makes a thump, my friends Silverado makes a thump and so does my other buddy's Cummins...so unless we all have bad diffs i think its o.k. Haha.

Its stated in the manual i think that sometimes the truck will have trouble going into 2wd on pavement sometime. As for the dash light staying on that might just be a code issue. As long as it isn't constantly doing that, i think your o.k.

You only have 30K on your truck, the front diff is covered up to 60K 60months. You have plenty of power-train warranty left, i wouldn't worry about it now. I also don't think there is a problem....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts