Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to this so please bear with me if my questions sound naive etc... I have an 05 Sequoia SR5 and am about to install a Dobinsons 1.75" Lift kit on there.

lurking around various boards I've seen a lot of talk about Front Differential Drops on these beasts with a lift over 2". I've also read chatter about Dropping the Carrier Bearing for lifts over 2" as well.

I fall well under the thresholds with a 1.75" lift, but have also heard its a good overall preventive for premature wearing out of the front diff and Carrier Bearing. So my question is:

1. Should I do it anyway?
2. Besides extra cost, is there anything BAD about doing either of these drops if my lift is only 1.75 inches?

Thanks in advance y'all!
H

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do the diff drop. It's cheap and easy to do. I have a 02 sequoia with 2 1/2 lift up front with diff drop. It's been problem free 5 years now. No need to do the carrier bearing drop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Based on my experience, you will not need a diff drop. However, what you need is high angle CV boots on the inboard side, or at least replace the OEM style clamps with a hose clamp style, other wise you will eventually spit grease. My truck has been leveled/lifted for the last 170K miles, no problems. It has 220k now, running like champ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, this has been very helpful. It's greatly appreciated! I'll continue to check in, but these are more than helpful enough already. Cheers all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I went with the Dobinsons set up as I noted I was looking, and I love it. Perfect for folks who do mostly daily driving and appreciate the handling if stiffer springs, with just enough added height and load to take it off the roads and or load er up. It's such an improvement over the stock mush. Ya'll were right about the angles and thresholds. No change in performance or diffs functioning at all. Thanks again. H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts